No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: skippyturtle] #6880125
05/23/20 06:48 AM
05/23/20 06:48 AM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,308
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,308
ny
Originally Posted by skippyturtle
[Linked Image]
28 gauge 2-3/4" 1-5/16oz tss9 at 40 yds full choke


[Linked Image]
10 gauge h&r 2-1/4oz copper plated 4s full choke 40yds


these were shot at the same time from the same rest. i wouldnt use that 10gauge as a boat anchor let alone to wound a turkey. the 28 weighs less has less recoil and out preforms by a wide margin. i could fire both barrels and still not be kicked as hard.

your comparing a load of 9s(lot more bbs),to a load of 4s.Not a good comparison.


the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880131
05/23/20 06:56 AM
05/23/20 06:56 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22,515
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content OP
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content OP
trapper

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22,515
Central, SD
Showing pattern density still a lot more #4s then what was on paper loaded in the 10ga. I believe was his point.


Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880137
05/23/20 07:06 AM
05/23/20 07:06 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,511
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
trapper
danny clifton  Online Content
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,511
williamsburg ks
I never shot a turkey at 40 yards with a shotgun. That shot is why god invented the 22 hornet. can easy add another 60 to the 40.

i looked up tss. Good grief. Pricey. I haven't shot a duck or goose since lead was banned. Dont like eating them anyway. Time to hunt turkeys is the last week of august-first week of september. The baby's look like long necked chickens. Can cut them up and fry them like a chicken. Whole bird is tender.

Been quite a few years since I killed a turkey. Here in KS it is cheaper to buy one at the grocery store, already dressed, than what a tag costs.

When i complained about the price I was told it wasn't about the value of a turkey it was the value of the experience. Well I have experienced a lot of hunting and its about the value of the animal for me. If you hunt turkeys or deer without a firearm its free.


Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880149
05/23/20 07:19 AM
05/23/20 07:19 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22,515
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content OP
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content OP
trapper

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22,515
Central, SD
Not much you really get your moneys worth out of really meat wise breaking even is a win. Shooting a bird with a rifle is like kissing my own Sister not thrilling at all. LOL


Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880160
05/23/20 07:32 AM
05/23/20 07:32 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,511
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
trapper
danny clifton  Online Content
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,511
williamsburg ks
I dont know. I never even met your sister and my wife would not like it if I kissed her. I am pretty sure me and your sister both would like it better than when you kissed her though laugh


Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: danny clifton] #6880162
05/23/20 07:33 AM
05/23/20 07:33 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22,515
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content OP
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content OP
trapper

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22,515
Central, SD
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I dont know. I never even met your sister and my wife would not like it if I kissed her. I am pretty sure me and your sister both would like it better than when you kissed her though laugh


Now Iím jealous. LOL


Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880166
05/23/20 07:38 AM
05/23/20 07:38 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,511
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
trapper
danny clifton  Online Content
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,511
williamsburg ks
I can get my moneys worth out of deer. I butcher myself and doe tags are cheap. Bad thing is here in KS either sex tag must be bought before you can buy meat tags and the either sex tag is pricey. I was so mad I didnt buy a tag last year. I may buy some this year. If i kill 3-4 and butcher them myself it will pay out. Buying deer meat is expensive. I shoot enough stuff my hunting license is worth the cost. i definitely come out ahead on fish.


Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: danny clifton] #6880262
05/23/20 09:39 AM
05/23/20 09:39 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,461
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,461
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Call me crazy,

But I have had the best luck in both my turkey guns

(Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag & Remington 12 gauge 870 Wing-master)

using 2 3/4" Copper plated #5's which are about 1,300 FPS.

Heavy pattern density and deadly out to about 40 yards.

works for me.

w


NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

NYSTA: Stop trying to steal our rat season !

Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: grayfox54] #6880269
05/23/20 09:52 AM
05/23/20 09:52 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,461
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,461
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted by grayfox54
Then I got into the TSS hype. I got a box of Apex Tss 9 shot, Burgess Creek Tss 8 shot only because I was going to New York this year and thatís the only shot you can use there.


grayfox,

The restrictions on shot size is that you can't use shot larger than 2's or smaller than 8's.

Hunters are not restricted ONLY to 8 shot.

Any size shot between 2's and 8's is legal.

w


NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

NYSTA: Stop trying to steal our rat season !

Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880324
05/23/20 10:42 AM
05/23/20 10:42 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,226
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,226
NC, Orange Co.
And those shot size restrictions were all put in place prior to TSS. The limit to nothing smaller than #7 or #8 makes sense with lead as they lose penetration needed for a clean kill at fairly short range. Hevi shot changed those circumstances but I do not recall seeing any adjustments made by the wildlife agencies. And TSS takes it to a whole nother level. #9 TSS is a deadly load way beyond 40 yds. At 40 yds, #9 TSS from a 20 gage will blow right through 1/4" plywood and with the right choke, it puts a lot more pellets in the kill zone.

There are lots of variables in any hunting situation but the smaller shot size TSS gives a much better opportunity for a clean kill than larger lead or Hevi shot in every scenario.


Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA
Member: UTK GTA FTA SA NRA NWTF WFSC
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880411
05/23/20 12:52 PM
05/23/20 12:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,813
Central New York
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,813
Central New York
Don't be giving ENCON any more bright ideas crazy

Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880423
05/23/20 01:13 PM
05/23/20 01:13 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 853
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 853
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
I've been shooting a Benelli SBE II for 12 years. Jelly Head tube Burris speed dot and 5,6, 7 1/2 3 1/2" triplex hevi shot. Killed a pile in several states. Try to keep shots under 40 yards. The game to me is better than the kill. They tend not to walk away from it. I like that position when shooting isn't so critical as recoil is very manageable. Light weight too. Little pricey at the front end but it has paid for it's self time and again. I have 4 other dedicated turkey guns but it always seems to be the one on my shoulder.


"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6880508
05/23/20 04:32 PM
05/23/20 04:32 PM
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2,691
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2,691
SW Georgia
Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
I've been shooting a Benelli SBE II for 12 years. Jelly Head tube Burris speed dot and 5,6, 7 1/2 3 1/2" triplex hevi shot. Killed a pile in several states. Try to keep shots under 40 yards. The game to me is better than the kill. They tend not to walk away from it. I like that position when shooting isn't so critical as recoil is very manageable. Light weight too. Little pricey at the front end but it has paid for it's self time and again. I have 4 other dedicated turkey guns but it always seems to be the one on my shoulder.

I started out shooting that set up and killed a pile of turkeys with it. Went with the 20ga for compactness and lighter weight. Not uncommon to put anywhere from 5-9 miles a day on the GPS when hunting out of state looking for birds. Even a few pounds makes a huge difference, especially when you walk back out with an extra 17-20, lol.

Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: danny clifton] #6880519
05/23/20 05:00 PM
05/23/20 05:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,130
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,130
sometimes PA sometimes ME
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I never shot a turkey at 40 yards with a shotgun. That shot is why god invented the 22 hornet. can easy add another 60 to the 40.

i looked up tss. Good grief. Pricey. I haven't shot a duck or goose since lead was banned. Dont like eating them anyway. Time to hunt turkeys is the last week of august-first week of september. The baby's look like long necked chickens. Can cut them up and fry them like a chicken. Whole bird is tender.

Been quite a few years since I killed a turkey. Here in KS it is cheaper to buy one at the grocery store, already dressed, than what a tag costs.

When i complained about the price I was told it wasn't about the value of a turkey it was the value of the experience. Well I have experienced a lot of hunting and its about the value of the animal for me. If you hunt turkeys or deer without a firearm its free.


The year was 1966. Killed my first turkey with my 22 hornet. My hornets have killed their share. For me it's much more of a challenge to sneak through the woods in the fall and rifle shoot a bird than it is to call in one of those stupid love sick spring birds.

Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: upstateNY] #6880522
05/23/20 05:02 PM
05/23/20 05:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,470
ohio
S
skippyturtle Offline
trapper
skippyturtle  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,470
ohio
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by skippyturtle
[Linked Image]
28 gauge 2-3/4" 1-5/16oz tss9 at 40 yds full choke


[Linked Image]
10 gauge h&r 2-1/4oz copper plated 4s full choke 40yds


these were shot at the same time from the same rest. i wouldnt use that 10gauge as a boat anchor let alone to wound a turkey. the 28 weighs less has less recoil and out preforms by a wide margin. i could fire both barrels and still not be kicked as hard.

your comparing a load of 9s(lot more bbs),to a load of 4s.Not a good comparison.
.
333 number 4s in that load and 50 of them hit the paper. 475 in that tss load and how many hit the paper? not only do they pattern better the tiny pellet will penetrate better with less drag. no need to hope a pellet hits vitals. you know 100% a bunch are hitting vitals.


NTA
OSTA
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: ebsurveyor] #6880539
05/23/20 05:39 PM
05/23/20 05:39 PM
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2,691
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2,691
SW Georgia
Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I never shot a turkey at 40 yards with a shotgun. That shot is why god invented the 22 hornet. can easy add another 60 to the 40.

i looked up tss. Good grief. Pricey. I haven't shot a duck or goose since lead was banned. Dont like eating them anyway. Time to hunt turkeys is the last week of august-first week of september. The baby's look like long necked chickens. Can cut them up and fry them like a chicken. Whole bird is tender.

Been quite a few years since I killed a turkey. Here in KS it is cheaper to buy one at the grocery store, already dressed, than what a tag costs.

When i complained about the price I was told it wasn't about the value of a turkey it was the value of the experience. Well I have experienced a lot of hunting and its about the value of the animal for me. If you hunt turkeys or deer without a firearm its free.


The year was 1966. Killed my first turkey with my 22 hornet. My hornets have killed their share. For me it's much more of a challenge to sneak through the woods in the fall and rifle shoot a bird than it is to call in one of those stupid love sick spring birds.

Thank God and DNR we donít have a Fall turkey season. If we did we wouldnít have any birds come Spring. Our Fall turkeys act like tame birds. I believe they could be caught by hand. It sounds like you could make some serious money calling in ďstupid love sick spring birdsĒ for others. From what Iíve read on here most didnít have a great season. You could also enter calling contests if youíre that good and even make more money. Heck, produce a DVD and make even more money.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 05/23/20 05:43 PM.
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: walleyed] #6880649
05/23/20 08:37 PM
05/23/20 08:37 PM
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,707
In the south central Pa Mounta...
grayfox54 Offline
trapper
grayfox54  Offline
trapper

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,707
In the south central Pa Mounta...
Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by grayfox54
Then I got into the TSS hype. I got a box of Apex Tss 9 shot, Burgess Creek Tss 8 shot only because I was going to New York this year and thatís the only shot you can use there.


grayfox,

The restrictions on shot size is that you can't use shot larger than 2's or smaller than 8's.

Hunters are not restricted ONLY to 8 shot.

Any size shot between 2's and 8's is legal.

w


Ok gotcha, I must have read it wrong!


I donít trap because I want to
I trap because I have to
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: ebsurveyor] #6880711
05/23/20 09:59 PM
05/23/20 09:59 PM
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2,691
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2,691
SW Georgia
Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Thank God and DNR we donít have a Fall turkey season. If we did we wouldnít have any birds come Spring. Our Fall turkeys act like tame birds. I believe they could be caught by hand. It sounds like you could make some serious money calling in ďstupid love sick spring birdsĒ for others. From what Iíve read on here most didnít have a great season. You could also enter calling contests if youíre that good and even make more money. Heck, produce a DVD and make even more money.



Never said I was a good caller & I will stand by that turkeys are easy to kill. From your statements about "serious money" we must have different definitions about "serious money". If someone wants to pay me $10,000 a week I'll consider teaching them how to kill turkeys. In fact I'm probably to busy to teach for any price.

Sniping turkeys isnít very hard, lol. If it was legal everywhere there wouldnít be a turkey left in the US. Probably the reason most states outlaw rifles. Sorta takes the ďhuntĒ out of it. If you can see it, you can kill it.

Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880756
05/23/20 10:45 PM
05/23/20 10:45 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22,515
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content OP
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content OP
trapper

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22,515
Central, SD
You rifle a turkey when you cannot call one up is what I am hearing. LOL


Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Building a turkey gun. [Re: Law Dog] #6880758
05/23/20 10:47 PM
05/23/20 10:47 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,294
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,294
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Same as shooting large game at 500 plus yards and calling it hunting.


Be a mentor

Semper paratus
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread