No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: One-piece spinning rods anyone? [Re: James] #6900934
06/16/20 09:07 AM
06/16/20 09:07 AM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by James
ToTheWoods, what you're calling the "spine" of the rod is actually called the spline. You can find it on a rod blank this way: Hold the blank section at an angle, with one end resting on a desk. Holding the other end in your left hand, take your right hand and use it to flex the rod and then roll it under your hand. As the blank rotates, you can feel a slight jump at a line where the blank is strongest.

In making a rod, you match up the spline of both rod sections (assuming you're building a two-piece rod) and mount the guides 180 degrees away from the spline, so the spline runs opposite of the direction you will cast.

In years back I made myself a few fly rods, but could never equal the quality of the best commercial rods, like Sage or Loomis.

I see that none of the one-piece rod afficianados has explained why fly rod makers are going to four-piece rods.

Jim

James I had an opinion that the reason for the 4 piece fly rods was due to the demand of packability but was not certain. So I checked it out for you. This article may explain it to you if you don't already have your mind made up.

https://midcurrent.com/gear/fly-rods-no-more-pieces/

Re: One-piece spinning rods anyone? [Re: James] #6900988
06/16/20 10:13 AM
06/16/20 10:13 AM
De
C
coop Offline
trapper
coop  Offline
trapper
C

De
20+ rods, all 1 pc. except 3 surf rods that were given to me by a friends wife after he passed... just prefer 1 pc.

Re: One-piece spinning rods anyone? [Re: James] #6901022
06/16/20 11:18 AM
06/16/20 11:18 AM
S. Illinois
C
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper
Chuckles84  Offline
trapper
C

S. Illinois
The first thing I do to any 2 piece fishinh rod is glue the 2 sections together to make it a one piece. I personally despise 2 piece fishing rods.

Your entitled to oxygen. Everything else is earned.
Re: One-piece spinning rods anyone? [Re: James] #6901791
06/17/20 07:08 AM
06/17/20 07:08 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
But gluing the ferule together won't increase sensitivity. The ferule would still be there, plus the added weight of the epoxy.

I don't understand the objection to modern two-piece rods. The old fiberglas poles with metal ferules had dead spots where the ferules were. But modern graphite rods have ferules made out of the same graphite material as the blank. They transmit rod feel quite well.

Feel may be slightly better on a one-piece rod, but the difference should be minute. (There are exceptions, of course.) I bet in a blind test most fishermen couldn't tell the difference. For me, the slight, if any, improvement in sensitivity isn't worth the loss of portability. Do you fans of one-piece rods keep only boat rods, fully assembled?

Too many ferules can lead to dead sections of the pole, though. I have a six-piece fly rod, and it's too heavy and has too many dead spots for it to be my favorite fly rod. I wish they still made two-piece fly rods.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: One-piece spinning rods anyone? [Re: ToTheWoods] #6901793
06/17/20 07:11 AM
06/17/20 07:11 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by ToTheWoods
Originally Posted by James
ToTheWoods, what you're calling the "spine" of the rod is actually called the spline. You can find it on a rod blank this way: Hold the blank section at an angle, with one end resting on a desk. Holding the other end in your left hand, take your right hand and use it to flex the rod and then roll it under your hand. As the blank rotates, you can feel a slight jump at a line where the blank is strongest.

In making a rod, you match up the spline of both rod sections (assuming you're building a two-piece rod) and mount the guides 180 degrees away from the spline, so the spline runs opposite of the direction you will cast.

In years back I made myself a few fly rods, but could never equal the quality of the best commercial rods, like Sage or Loomis.

I see that none of the one-piece rod afficianados has explained why fly rod makers are going to four-piece rods.

Jim

James I had an opinion that the reason for the 4 piece fly rods was due to the demand of packability but was not certain. So I checked it out for you. This article may explain it to you if you don't already have your mind made up.

https://midcurrent.com/gear/fly-rods-no-more-pieces/

I read that article, and I think you are correct. The current crop of fly rods are all travel rods.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: One-piece spinning rods anyone? [Re: James] #6901798
06/17/20 07:21 AM
06/17/20 07:21 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I wish I knew how to fly fish.
It looks like fin fun.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4