No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... #6936944
07/21/20 08:07 AM
07/21/20 08:07 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...jizu-6ZYZA9XV6r1r6Q7gW4uyKhBuCtCT7JR3bRk

This was sent to me by a Doctor I went to high School with. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6936974
07/21/20 08:43 AM
07/21/20 08:43 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Good read. I know someday health, will know more about the virus, but I think there is just to many unknowns yet. I pray that he can find help through medicine so people can get back to some normal life.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6936978
07/21/20 08:48 AM
07/21/20 08:48 AM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
At this point I think they could give everyone 10cc of IV fluid, say it will cure it forever, and we would all be good to go.

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6936980
07/21/20 08:49 AM
07/21/20 08:49 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
If there's $ to b made there's going to be someone to sell it

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: snowy] #6936982
07/21/20 08:50 AM
07/21/20 08:50 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by snowy
Good read. I know someday health, will know more about the virus, but I think there is just to many unknowns yet. I pray that he can find help through medicine so people can get back to some normal life.

He told me that masks and social distancing were the only thing that may slow it down but he believes it is here to stay. Medicines and treatments may be the best we get. Here is another one he sent me. He said I may already have what I need to defeat this but does not know for sure. It seems as though wild animals have all types of viruses including corona.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/double-pandemic-covid-flu/614152/

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6936984
07/21/20 08:51 AM
07/21/20 08:51 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
sheep need sheared. Lol

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: Yes sir] #6936989
07/21/20 08:57 AM
07/21/20 08:57 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by Yes sir
sheep need sheared. Lol

I really do not know who you are calling sheep. I simply put science up and looked at the data. Meanwhile I look at your screen name and see someone who is quick to comply. Can you see the irony? Yes sir I do. lol.

You probably never read the article. LLL

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937005
07/21/20 09:21 AM
07/21/20 09:21 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I did read it. I wasn't calling u out on it. Its people that who are so scared of a pandemic virus that isn't a pandemic (if it was people wouldn't need to be lying or misleading about the #s and they are I've seen it without a doubt 8n my area from a mayor of a nearby city) that will blindly take a vaccine before we even have time to get a little understanding of it let alone have a chance to have time to come up with a real vaccine. And if this offends anyone im guessing ur now real secure in your position anyway.

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937006
07/21/20 09:22 AM
07/21/20 09:22 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
LLL

I don't know your personal position on the vaccine but at least your looking are at all sources of information out there

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937012
07/21/20 09:26 AM
07/21/20 09:26 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
if getting sick wont make people immune then why waste money working on a vaccine?

Last edited by danny clifton; 07/21/20 09:27 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937043
07/21/20 10:12 AM
07/21/20 10:12 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by LLtrapper
Originally Posted by snowy

He told me that masks and social distancing were the only thing that may slow it down but he believes it is here to stay. Medicines and treatments may be the best we get. Here is another one he sent me. He said I may already have what I need to defeat this but does not know for sure. It seems as though wild animals have all types of viruses including corona.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/double-pandemic-covid-flu/614152/

People would have to actually wear masks and social distance for this to work. It would appear a vaccine is more likely. However, once people start feeling the actual pain (knowing people who have gotten the virus and died) they seem to come on board. People always have to learn the hard way. frown

Who is John Galt?
Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937076
07/21/20 10:55 AM
07/21/20 10:55 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK

How Europe Kept Coronavirus Cases Low Even After Reopening
Countries that had thousands of cases a day now have hundreds after chastened Europeans comply with mask-wearing, social-distancing rules

When Western European countries began phasing out their lockdowns this spring, a surge of coronavirus cases was widely expected to follow. Months on—even as Europeans mingle in bars, restaurants and crowded beaches—that still hasn’t happened.

As a surge in cases forces a number of U.S. states to reimpose restrictions, Europe’s reopening is for the most part going according to plan.

That is largely because of marked changes in social behavior across much of Europe, following widespread efforts by policy makers to drill the public to follow a simple, three-pronged approach: Keep a distance when possible, enhance hygiene and wear a mask when necessary. Older people, who are more vulnerable, are especially careful.

“People in Europe understood what they need to do. They take it seriously,” says Ilaria Capua, an Italian virologist at the University of Florida. “The crisis has been handled differently in different countries, but nobody in Europe is saying this is a nothing crisis.”

Crucially, experts say, European countries that slowed the incidence of Covid-19 down to a trickle have all continued to ban so-called superspreading events—mass gatherings such as soccer matches and concerts that are believed to have acted as incubators for the pandemic.

Despite occasional limited outbreaks—and a spike of cases in Balkan countries and a worrying cluster in northeast Spain—the number of new infections in countries such as Italy, Germany and France continued to decline after lockdowns were lifted and in recent weeks plateaued at a few hundred a day in each country, down from several thousand at the peak of the crisis.

Europe was the center of the virus in March and April, with the five biggest countries—Italy, Spain, the U.K., Germany and France—so far having reported over 1.164 million infections and 148,000 deaths, according to the latest available figures from the World Health Organization.

“This is because we stemmed the first wave of the epidemic by many of our citizens changing their behavior,” Professor Lothar Wieler, the head of the Robert Koch Institute, Germany’s center for disease control, said at a news conference last week.

Even in Sweden, which never instituted a lockdown and has suffered a high mortality rate, the number of new cases has plateaued as people observe distancing rules amid a ban of large-scale events.

The low level of new infections in Europe has freed up hospital beds and allowed public-health authorities to focus on testing and isolating virus carriers and on tracking down and testing their close contacts.

Germany, which scaled up testing capacity to over 1.1 million tests a week, trained hundreds of people, many of them medical students, to help with contact tracing across the country. A contact-tracing mobile phone app that was launched there just over a month ago has been downloaded nearly 16 million times. The number of tests carried out varies, but on average is nearly 300,000 a week.

In Italy, widespread contact tracing and testing means a large number of asymptomatic carriers are being identified and isolated. In fact, the majority of those who tested positive for the coronavirus in recent weeks in Italy were identified not because they developed symptoms but because they were tested as a result of contact tracing or after testing positive for antibodies.

It is a striking contrast with the beginning of the crisis. Then, political leaders minimized the risk, people largely shunned face masks or social distancing, and banning crowds from soccer matches or other large events seemed unthinkable. In March, even as the case count mounted, thousands participated in a Smurf-themed parade in France, dressing up like the blue cartoon characters in a show of defiance against the virus.

In Italy, which suffered one of the world’s deadliest outbreaks, the virus spread unchecked and undetected for weeks. In the worst-affected areas in the country’s north, hospitals were running out of beds in intensive-care units. Testing was limited and contact tracing ineffective.

A similar situation is currently playing out in states such as Arizona, Florida and Texas.

In the U.S., “we are pushing this idea that we have to live with the virus, that there’s nothing we can do. That’s not true: Europe shows you can turn the epidemic around,” says Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist and senior scholar at Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

While many European countries effectively used the lockdown to bring down case levels and build up the public-health capacity to track and trace new infections, in some U.S. states such efforts still lag behind.

“The fundamental difference between Europe and America is that Europe has taken the virus seriously, and America largely has not,” says Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute. “We didn’t build testing and tracing programs, and in parts of the country we didn’t even bring cases down. We have done things half way.”

European authorities however warn against complacency. Spain, which managed to subdue the infection rate after being hit hard by the pandemic early on, this week recorded the biggest rise in new cases since May. A cluster of infections in northeast Spain has forced the local government there to reintroduce some restrictions.

In southeastern Europe, Croatia, Serbia, North Macedonia and Bulgaria—which all had strict lockdowns that greatly reduced the number of new cases—are all experiencing a renewed surge of coronavirus infections after they abruptly lifted all restrictions. Hospitals in Serbia are nearly overwhelmed after the government allowed for mass events in the past two months, including sports games and election rallies.

In a sign that European governments remain concerned about a jump in new infections, masks in the continent are increasingly becoming obligatory. In France and the U.K., masks will be mandatory in public enclosed spaces from next week. In Germany, Italy and much of Spain, they already are. Austria is considering reinstating its indoor-mask order following a recent rise in infections.

Unlike the heated disputes in parts of the U.S. over mask-wearing, Europeans are broadly supportive. In France, for instance, 85% of people support the new rules, according to a BVA poll.

While in parts of the U.S. mask wearing is mandatory and widely adhered to, in other areas such orders are sparking political and legal battles. In Georgia, for instance, Gov. Brian Kemp filed a lawsuit last week to block a number of coronavirus restrictions, such as obligatory mask wearing, introduced by the mayor of Atlanta.

While some U.S. states have banned large gatherings, others haven’t. In Oklahoma, President Trump last month held an indoor rally with several thousand people. Very few wore masks. Oklahoma’s governor last week tested positive for the coronavirus.

“Large gatherings, especially indoors, are very, very dangerous,” says Dr. Jha, of the Harvard Global Health Institute.

“When I look at Europe, there is no single, best way: There are lots of ways,” he adds. “There is no magic formula, but they all begin with taking the virus seriously and not having debates about inane things.”

—Benoit Morenne in Paris contributed to this article.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-eu...-from-a-torrent-to-a-trickle-11595240731

Mean As Nails
Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937096
07/21/20 11:21 AM
07/21/20 11:21 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
White 17 the issue with this article is they are looking at European countries as some huge population center. Most European countries are smaller than Texas and populations are sometimes healthier without huge obesity issues like we have here. I wonder what the average weight of a covid fatality is? Any guesses? With obesity comes other disease like high blood pressure, heart disease and other issues. LLL

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: Yes sir] #6937100
07/21/20 11:24 AM
07/21/20 11:24 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by Yes sir
LLL

I don't know your personal position on the vaccine but at least your looking are at all sources of information out there

I will not get a vaccine. I have never had a flu vaccine and have never had a flu to my knowledge. LLL

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937104
07/21/20 11:26 AM
07/21/20 11:26 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
That's true on an individual basis but the EU, as a whole, is just a bit larger than the US.

No idea on the average weight thing.

Hypertension is definitely a factor even without obesity. My BP is barely controlled with four different drugs and I don't qualify as obese. Genetics, unfortunately, plays a role.

Mean As Nails
Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937107
07/21/20 11:29 AM
07/21/20 11:29 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
" not having debates about inane things.”

Who is John Galt?
Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: white17] #6937133
07/21/20 12:07 PM
07/21/20 12:07 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline OP
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by white17
That's true on an individual basis but the EU, as a whole, is just a bit larger than the US.

No idea on the average weight thing.

Hypertension is definitely a factor even without obesity. My BP is barely controlled with four different drugs and I don't qualify as obese. Genetics, unfortunately, plays a role.

They do not all march to the same tune either. LLL

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937138
07/21/20 12:16 PM
07/21/20 12:16 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
I read the second article until it turned into a "This is Trump's Fault". Stopped there. That article is more liberal junk.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: danny clifton] #6937139
07/21/20 12:17 PM
07/21/20 12:17 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by danny clifton
if getting sick wont make people immune then why waste money working on a vaccine?

What I got out of reading the article is that the vaccine could rather than make you immune, actually infect you.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Waiting for a vaccine? Read this... [Re: LLtrapper] #6937144
07/21/20 12:21 PM
07/21/20 12:21 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I have my doubts that a vaccine will be developed any time soon but........some of the drugs being tested have shown the development of four times the antibody levels developed by those who have recovered from the virus. That is hopeful but the durability is a different question

Mean As Nails
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread