No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Auto mechanics? [Re: Tommie] #6947141
07/29/20 09:45 PM
07/29/20 09:45 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Tommie

The flywheel had some teeth broke on it .

Odd

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Auto mechanics? [Re: Finster] #6947155
07/29/20 09:52 PM
07/29/20 09:52 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Finster

Odd

All it takes is the starter to not be properly aligned to the flywheel. Some starters even have shims to get a good exact 90° engagement. If one shim falls out , flywheel and starter will get uneven wear. Over time this can lead to tooth loss. This can also happen if starter is loose.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Auto mechanics? [Re: Tommie] #6947166
07/29/20 09:57 PM
07/29/20 09:57 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I guess I wasn’t expecting it to be that much labor involved in it had 10 hours at 89.99 per hour it doesn’t take long to add up . Total price was almost $1400.00 .

89.99 isn't too bad 100 an hour is going rate at independent shop here.

Ford has been really bad about not thinking about the repair only about the initial assembly and GM hasn't been any better really.

I did my own intake manifold this spring on a 2000 Expedition ford could have easily made the coolant cross over that the gasket fails on a 20 minute job instead it is around 8 hours. it took me more like 10 over 2 weekends.

it would have taken a very small change to make the bolts from the top and not the bottom the cross over needs to be removed from the bottom of the intake manifold which means getting entire manifold off

when you have that much in labor replacing the entire manifold for 200-300 in parts is an investment in not doing it again.

I have been wondering if there isn't enough ford trucks running around with a lot of life left in them that if you could bring the truck in pull the engine and transition at around 200K and for about 4 grand basically rebuild , do the water pump, manifold , plugs injectors , coils service the transmission before it fails if you had a truck ready to go another 100k miles for lest than years worth of payments in places where they don't rust out it would be worth it

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Auto mechanics? [Re: Tommie] #6947174
07/29/20 10:00 PM
07/29/20 10:00 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI

I don't know about your Ford but you used to be able to just change the ring gear and not get a whole flywheel.

Its an easy change requiring beating off the old ring gear and then heating the new one in an over and putting the flywheel in the freezer.
The gear is usually just a light tap or two and its on.

Re: Auto mechanics? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6947186
07/29/20 10:10 PM
07/29/20 10:10 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

89.99 isn't too bad 100 an hour is going rate at independent shop here.

Ford has been really bad about not thinking about the repair only about the initial assembly and GM hasn't been any better really.

I did my own intake manifold this spring on a 2000 Expedition ford could have easily made the coolant cross over that the gasket fails on a 20 minute job instead it is around 8 hours. it took me more like 10 over 2 weekends.

it would have taken a very small change to make the bolts from the top and not the bottom the cross over needs to be removed from the bottom of the intake manifold which means getting entire manifold off

Independent shops around here get $129 per hour

I have a Ford 3.0L V6 in my vehicle. To replace the spark plugs on the back bank next to the firewall , you have to remove the intake manifold.

That makes for a very expensive tune-up. frown

NRA benefactor member
Re: Auto mechanics? [Re: dkrug] #6947224
07/29/20 10:35 PM
07/29/20 10:35 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by dkrug
/
I guess I wasn’t expecting it to be that much labor involved in it had 10 hours at 89.99 per hour it doesn’t take long to add up . Total price was almost $1400.00 .

Now you and Coonman have a lot in common, be wary of repair shops!

LOL.

wanna be goat farmer.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread