No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Wild_WI] #6964212
08/14/20 08:48 PM
08/14/20 08:48 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Wild_WI
Ness After I retired from the Army I decided to go to school and get a degree in social work just wrapped it up today

Good for you...that’s Awesome ! And thanks for your service !

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Nessmuck] #6964275
08/14/20 09:35 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Great to hear from all of you!

Thanks, BBarnes! Those tacos sound nice too.

Thanks, ETexTrapper! You're allowed to not like tomatoes. To me, they're magic! I wait all year for them.

Thanks, River Birch! Wonderful stuff you have there! I am familiar with ceviche but not at all with trigger fish. Fill me in when you get a chance. Beautiful venison! No ghost peppers for me though. I am a hot pepper wimp. I would not make it through that experience - even with a sour cream chaser! Thansk for those photos!

Mississippiposse, that's a real classic summer supper!

Good low carb meal there, Hornady! Thanks for the photo.

Way to go, White Trash!

Thank you, Sharon! Nice supper at your little cabin in the woods! You do the same!

Thank you, Nessy! Great stuff there too. I love chicken thighs - those boneless varieties really walk funny. I hope you find those tators while they're still hot. grin Thanks for the photo!

I love tuna casserole, Moosey! My mom made a nice one when we were kids. That Mississippi tuna is extra special. laugh

That is quite the spread, Waggler! Wonderful foods! Cedar planked salmon is sooooo nice. Thanks for the photos!

You know, Sharon, I am a bit curious about what makes a good, classic fried green tomato. Green tomatoes start out hard and fairly tart and then mellow when they start to turn color but are not yet ripe. Are they really green when you make fried green tomatoes, or are they a little closer to ripe? Go ahead and post what you know here!

Congratulations, Wild_WI! Thank you for your service, and I hope that pizza was delicious!

Popular choice tonight, Ryan! Late tonight when you get hungry in camp, you can take that rolled up half pizza out of your pocket and have a great snack! grin

Thank you so much, Concrete Man!

You guys are the best!
grin

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964276
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Looks good Patrice. Cooked my daughter a birthday supper tonight. King crab, gulf shrimp, corn on the cob and a baked potato.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964278
08/14/20 09:37 PM
08/14/20 09:37 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Thanks, Steven! That is one special supper you made for your daughter. Nice!

Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964279
08/14/20 09:38 PM
08/14/20 09:38 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
I totally agree with you about the maters. I had BLTs for supper 3 nights this week at work, I'll have BLTs for lunch tomorrow.

If it wasn't for fresh produce and berries I'd as soon skip summer

Last edited by Steven 49er; 08/14/20 09:38 PM.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Steven 49er] #6964295
08/14/20 09:44 PM
08/14/20 09:44 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
You got that right, Steven! Especially since, at least for me, I like any weather - as long as it's below 70 degrees out!

Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964351
08/14/20 10:30 PM
08/14/20 10:30 PM
WV Fla
River Birch Offline
trapper
River Birch  Offline
trapper

WV Fla
Originally Posted by Patrice
Great to hear from all of you!

Thanks, BBarnes! Those tacos sound nice too.

Thanks, ETexTrapper! You're allowed to not like tomatoes. To me, they're magic! I wait all year for them.

Thanks, River Birch! Wonderful stuff you have there! I am familiar with ceviche but not at all with trigger fish. Fill me in when you get a chance. Beautiful venison! No ghost peppers for me though. I am a hot pepper wimp. I would not make it through that experience - even with a sour cream chaser! Thansk for those photos!

Mississippiposse, that's a real classic summer supper!

Good low carb meal there, Hornady! Thanks for the photo.

Way to go, White Trash!

Thank you, Sharon! Nice supper at your little cabin in the woods! You do the same!

Thank you, Nessy! Great stuff there too. I love chicken thighs - those boneless varieties really walk funny. I hope you find those tators while they're still hot. grin Thanks for the photo!

I love tuna casserole, Moosey! My mom made a nice one when we were kids. That Mississippi tuna is extra special. laugh

That is quite the spread, Waggler! Wonderful foods! Cedar planked salmon is sooooo nice. Thanks for the photos!

You know, Sharon, I am a bit curious about what makes a good, classic fried green tomato. Green tomatoes start out hard and fairly tart and then mellow when they start to turn color but are not yet ripe. Are they really green when you make fried green tomatoes, or are they a little closer to ripe? Go ahead and post what you know here!

Congratulations, Wild_WI! Thank you for your service, and I hope that pizza was delicious!

Popular choice tonight, Ryan! Late tonight when you get hungry in camp, you can take that rolled up half pizza out of your pocket and have a great snack! grin

Thank you so much, Concrete Man!

You guys are the best!
grin

Okay Patrice, Trigger fish are found in saltwater and have very small mouths (they do have a bunch of teeth) so small hooks are required to catch them. Different baits like squid clams and crabs work well... They are excellent fighters, Cleaning triggerfish is a little more complicated than other fish because of the tough skin. Take your filet knife stab in and at an angle cut to up and past the head bringing the knife out, flip the fish over, belly side up and do the same stabbing technique.

This initial preparation will get you into that thick, tough skin so you can continue with your cleaning and filleting as you would with any other fish.

Triggerfish is not limited in flavor. The clean white meat that tastes similar to sweet crab meat when cooked will bring a lot of depth and flavor to your fish recipes.

It's tough to beat know matter how it's prepared also excellent when it is blackend....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is some from a week ago I blackend you can see how white the flesh is (almost like eating a filet of scallops!)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lifetime Member NJTA...WTTA Caught the bug in 1979
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964352
08/14/20 10:32 PM
08/14/20 10:32 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Ok Patrice, Nessy, this youtube is close enough to how I like them...ya know, the options to fixin fried green tomatoes are similar to spaghetti sauce....there's a variety of ways to use different ingredients ...which is handy, it is a very forgiving dish , in case what is on hand is limited or missing some things to add to the mix. There are many youtube videos and recipes to choose from, and I'd say about all of them are decent and offer their own special tastes. This one is close to what I like to use, though like cornbread too, options abound . You can leave some extras out, or add them in.

Instead of the bread mix the guy in the video likes to use, I prefer crushing buttah crackers, like Tollhouse.

I think it is in the batter mix that gives them a nice crunchy but sweet taste , and something about the cooking oil or buttah milk also changes them from sort of tart to great.

They're quite green , Chickie, when they turn red and ripe it isn't any good for this recipe then . Amazing !

You really should try it...this is an old southern favourite, same as hush puppies, cornbread , and the like. Especially with the wonderful dipping sauces you can invent for them ! Or you can eat them plain . The seasonings in the battah and buttah milk suffice well.

Anyway, here is one that is very close to how I do mine...pay attention to the slicing/salting/ sweating out the water of the thick slices on paper towel before coating and frying....that puts the crunch in them rather than be too watery when you want to coat them .

River Birch, I haven't had trigger fish in decades....one of the best fish in the ocean ! I sometimes think of them and wish I could enjoy them again.

Enjoy smile

Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964359
08/14/20 10:46 PM
08/14/20 10:46 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Thanks for posting that Sharon. Definitely have some green maters outside...sounds like a treat for tomorrow !

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964386
08/14/20 11:30 PM
08/14/20 11:30 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Great thread, thanks everyone. Congrats to Wild WI.

Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964410
08/15/20 12:44 AM
08/15/20 12:44 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Never had fried green tomatoes, probably taste good, but I'll bet deep fried moose turds would taste good also. Particularly with the right dipping sauce.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964504
08/15/20 07:37 AM
08/15/20 07:37 AM
Idaville, Indiana
M
MB750 Offline
trapper
MB750  Offline
trapper
M

Idaville, Indiana
Fresh home raised pork chops, & baked taters.

For years I have been tomstrap, now I must change because of the whims of the cyber world. NRA Life, ISTA Life, FTA Life, NTA Life
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6964547
08/15/20 08:33 AM
08/15/20 08:33 AM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Okay, River Birch. That is just too fascinating. That fish is a heck of a looker too! I'd love to catch, fillet and cook some. Thanks so much for the information and the photos! I sure appreciate it. Always love to learn.

Thank you so much, Sharon! We look at our remaining green tomatoes at the end of the season and have never mastered that dish (or really tried). I always wanted to try one made by someone who knows what they're doing just to set the bar. Thanks!

I'll bet that was fantastic, MB750!

Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6966996
08/17/20 06:45 PM
08/17/20 06:45 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
.... good to see you in here again Mrs Patrice... I would say that looks good ...but I don’t want to go to hel for lying ... wished you post more and make fun my paper plates lol

.. ps... tell Zim I said he ain’t nothin more than a one eyed bohemian with a big bellybutton

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6967334
08/18/20 01:36 AM
08/18/20 01:36 AM
Buffalo,MN
Dan Parson Offline
trapper
Dan Parson  Offline
trapper

Buffalo,MN
Do you deliver?

Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6967799
08/18/20 04:16 PM
08/18/20 04:16 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Looks awesome.

Nevada bound
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Savell] #6967856
08/18/20 05:41 PM
08/18/20 05:41 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Nothing you like there, Savell? Steak, shrimp, tomatoes, corn? What if I put a dollop of sour cream on that? laugh You better warn me when you're headed this way so I can make something you like when I roll out the red carpet. laugh

I just might, Dan! I could drop something off there on my way down to Coldspring, Texas to feed that skinny guy with the white hat. laugh

Thanks, Bruce!

Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6967978
08/18/20 08:09 PM
08/18/20 08:09 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
... now I like steak and shrimp... but I’ll have to take you at your word that it’s there... all I see is leaves on top of what looks like undercooked eggs in that pic lol

... just kiddin Mrs. Patrice... always enjoy your post and culinary skills

And you don’t want me around Zim ... he’d spend all his time out back drinking.. dippin snuff and liable to end up talking funny

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Patrice] #6968012
08/18/20 08:57 PM
08/18/20 08:57 PM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
Jacks pizza tonight.
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: What's for Supper? Steak & Shrimp Scampi Here! [Re: Savell] #6968029
08/18/20 09:12 PM
08/18/20 09:12 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Originally Posted by Savell
.... good to see you in here again Mrs Patrice... I would say that looks good ...but I don’t want to go to hel for lying ... wished you post more and make fun my paper plates lol

.. ps... tell Zim I said he ain’t nothin more than a one eyed bohemian with a big bellybutton

Hey, how ya doin', ya sawed off bow legged Philistine?

Zim

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread