No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
More church pix #7005605
10/01/20 02:48 PM
10/01/20 02:48 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline OP
trapper
swift4me  Offline OP
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
My wife and I made another road trip this week and I thought I'd show another church in a small village. This one is 15th century in a town of 1,500 people. What is amazing to see is that in almost every tiny village there is a church of almost this size. Centuries ago the Catholic church held so much power in Spain and France that every village had a church of great stature and always on the high ground. The rural population was 30 to 50 times greater than today because everything was done by hand and the church benefitted greatly because people paid one way or the other... with money or labor. The big house at our farm, built in 1920 was a big house in our valley and held one or two priests during the time. The house was built with the labor of sinners and the guilty who paid for their sins. There was no income from farming that could pay to build a house like that so it was all on the backs of the parish. Today our village has 280 redidents but in 1800 it had 2500, most of whom lived in stone barns to keep sheep, cut hay and ferns and protect the sheep from the wolves.

Honestly, it would blow you away if you saw the density of churches here in France and it is higher in Spain. With all due respect , it has enlightend me about the origin of "modern religion" in Europe and America. The flow of money and power is still here but I cannot imagine being a free man in those times and having to give half of your harvest to the church, and that was how it was. Before
the country created or collected taxes it was the church that took the bounty to build the monuments. Maybe not that different today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hope you enjoyed.

Pete

Re: More church pix [Re: swift4me] #7005613
10/01/20 03:00 PM
10/01/20 03:00 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Beautiful.

You may have been forced to give up half your harvest but the church provided stability and security, without the church Europe would of likely been overrun by the hordes from the East multiple times and western civilization as we know it would likely not exist as the churches would likely be mosques and we can see how well that works out as far as progress is concerned.

Re: More church pix [Re: swift4me] #7005778
10/01/20 06:57 PM
10/01/20 06:57 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

That old architecture is amazing, and how they built it is hard to imagine.

Funny thing though, when I saw the title of the thread the first thought that came to mind mind was a picture of people doing things; not buildings.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: More church pix [Re: swift4me] #7005789
10/01/20 07:09 PM
10/01/20 07:09 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Online sick
trapper
run  Online Sick
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I was hoping to see people too. Churches are ok. People are better.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: More church pix [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7005801
10/01/20 07:17 PM
10/01/20 07:17 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Beautiful.

You may have been forced to give up half your harvest but the church provided stability and security, without the church Europe would of likely been overrun by the hordes from the East multiple times and western civilization as we know it would likely not exist as the churches would likely be mosques and we can see how well that works out as far as progress is concerned.

Interesting observations.
At times us protestants have a good time poking holes in Roman Catholic theology (there seems to be plenty to poke at), however, who could ever know what God's plans were/are in the whole scheme of things?

"My life is better than your vacation"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread