Sorry Gary, it doesn't work that way in either case that you stated above and what follows holds true for all land not under Native American Reservation status in NE......... If the landowner "owns" the deer,,, and he charges for a permit he or she is then responsible for the damage they (the deer) do PERIOD ! You can purchase a shooting reserve and raise big bucks for sale if you want but they need to be in a controlled environment. So if that deer runs out in front of my vehicle and a collision occurs its the landowners responsibility and they could be taken to court for restitution of damages. Same with wild deer if a landowner believes he/she owns them. You would need insurance just like livestock on the road and those premiums would be out of everyone's price range. Expand that thought to other wildlife.... Beaver... if YOUR (not Gary's but using this as an example) beaver back water up onto my property, I have the legal right to seek damages from you for their activity (uncontrolled). So wildlife belong to the people with most states being the managers. Federal species can fall under two jurisdictions ,,, just ask the wolf people. On the second statement,,, here in NE the Recreational Use Act covers and releases the landowner from any liability, for permissions granted to others, to pursue Recreational Activities (hunting, fishing, boating, winter skiing, trapping etc.) as long as the owner DOES NOT receive any monetary payment for the enjoyment of that activity. Take just 1 dollar and the owner then becomes liable for the condition of the property on which the activity is occurring and you will need Recreation Insurance for protection of any assets you have. Now if you have a hunting ranch (like Texas), and have exotics for sale that you purchased, then you can charge all you want and are also liable for them on the road, at the neighbors, anywhere off your property, and any safety concerns on the property etc.,. Its just like the county road issues here where the landowner owns to the center of the road in many cases but has given up the right of use to county governments to maintain the road bed for transportation. I don't want to be responsible for keeping up the roads fronting my farms and don't have time to charge people for the use of it....................... People own the wildlife but give the state the duty of managing it. Like all things,,, careful what we wish for in this complex society as it usually has another edge we don't see................ the mike