No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: beaverpeeler] #7049758
11/14/20 03:35 PM
11/14/20 03:35 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I have listened to some of the comments and questions from commission members from the urban areas near Portland.

Among the nuggets: The reason beaver are not building dams in the coast range is because trappers have selectively trapped out the beavers that know how to make dams leaving only the lowly bank den dwellers. (Obviously if we don't see a dam and lodge we don't now there are beaver around). That from a member I shall allow to be un-named from Portland.

My thinking is that a potential commission member should have some wildlife experience or fundamental knowledge. And preferably be a licensed hunter or fisherman.

I can't help it but this brings to mind the words and album title of one of my favorite comedians, Ron White, when he exclaims "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID".

Last edited by wy.wolfer; 11/14/20 03:35 PM.
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: Getting There] #7049776
11/14/20 04:12 PM
11/14/20 04:12 PM
Mollala Oregon
G
gdccowboy Offline
trapper
gdccowboy  Offline
trapper
G

Mollala Oregon
Originally Posted by Getting There
How many trappers were at the meeting? How many trappers are there in the State? How many trapper write there State representatives ? I would bet if there were numbers put to the above question it would be less than 1% and you wonder why you are not wining. JMO

Nothing like people trying to spread the word and fight for trapping and having someone that just has to try to run them down shows real moral character JMO

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: gdccowboy] #7049908
11/14/20 07:19 PM
11/14/20 07:19 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by gdccowboy
Originally Posted by Getting There
How many trappers were at the meeting? How many trappers are there in the State? How many trapper write there State representatives ? I would bet if there were numbers put to the above question it would be less than 1% and you wonder why you are not wining. JMO

Nothing like people trying to spread the word and fight for trapping and having someone that just has to try to run them down shows real moral character JMO

The last thing I would do is run anyone down that is trying to get a rule change passed that I agree with. It takes a lot of effort, time, funds and organization. The more people (trappers) that are working on this rule change the better but in most cases this is not the case. That is where the l% come from. You are not alone. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049963
11/14/20 08:07 PM
11/14/20 08:07 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Would like to share an email I got this morning from a retired game warden that works tirelessly on our behalf. He was one of many that testified via zoom at the virtual commission meeting yesterday:

" A heart felt THANK YOU to everyone who worked with and supported the Oregon Trapper's Association in our quest to maintain the opportunity to engage in our most precious outdoor pursuit. While the petition was denied by a tie vote of the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commissioners yesterday, it became apparent during the Commissioner's discussion that our sport and Oregon's trappers are in peril. I was completely disgusted and angered by the personal attack endured by ODFW's Derek Broman during open testimony, and have reached out to him and thanked him for his professionalism and in-depth knowledge of not only the dueling science of the issue, but the human dimension aspect as well. Oregon is blessed to have such a qualified young scientist/biologist working for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife!

The Beaver Work Group and the Trap Check Interval Work Group that are being formed will provide each of us and our organizations the opportunity (hopefully, equal opportunity) for input on how best to manage Oregon's fur bearing wildlife. While I agree with the concept of the work groups, I also fear that the disrespect for trappers and the dismissal of our first-hand knowledge of beaver and all fur bearers as citizen scientists will be overshadowed by the anti's and their supporting academics. The message that was repeatedly expressed by those supporting the petition was how if Oregon bans beaver trapping, beaver will become abundant and thereby mitigate the negative impacts of climate change and prevent devastating wildfires.

This message in my opinion is a subterfuge. It is clear to trappers that beaver and their management is a means to the ends---BAN ALL TRAPPING IN OREGON.

Again, thank you,

Stan Steele

Keep Oregon Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and Sport Shooting

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: beaverpeeler] #7049978
11/14/20 08:20 PM
11/14/20 08:20 PM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline OP
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline OP
trapper
O

Oregon
Would like to share an email I got this morning from a retired game warden that works tirelessly on our behalf. He was one of many that testified via zoom at the virtual commission meeting yesterday:

" A heart felt THANK YOU to everyone who worked with and supported the Oregon Trapper's Association in our quest to maintain the opportunity to engage in our most precious outdoor pursuit. While the petition was denied by a tie vote of the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commissioners yesterday, it became apparent during the Commissioner's discussion that our sport and Oregon's trappers are in peril. I was completely disgusted and angered by the personal attack endured by ODFW's Derek Broman during open testimony, and have reached out to him and thanked him for his professionalism and in-depth knowledge of not only the dueling science of the issue, but the human dimension aspect as well. Oregon is blessed to have such a qualified young scientist/biologist working for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife!

The Beaver Work Group and the Trap Check Interval Work Group that are being formed will provide each of us and our organizations the opportunity (hopefully, equal opportunity) for input on how best to manage Oregon's fur bearing wildlife. While I agree with the concept of the work groups, I also fear that the disrespect for trappers and the dismissal of our first-hand knowledge of beaver and all fur bearers as citizen scientists will be overshadowed by the anti's and their supporting academics. The message that was repeatedly expressed by those supporting the petition was how if Oregon bans beaver trapping, beaver will become abundant and thereby mitigate the negative impacts of climate change and prevent devastating wildfires.

This message in my opinion is a subterfuge. It is clear to trappers that beaver and their management is a means to the ends---BAN ALL TRAPPING IN OREGON.

Again, thank you,

Stan Steele

Keep Oregon Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and Sport Shooting

Thank you for sharing this. Its people like this gentleman, Derek and many others that give me hope for a long future of trapping for generations to come. Itll always be an uphill battle for us. But sticking together ill stay optimistic. I called and thanked jim soares (ota vice president) yesterday for all his hardwork and representing us very well too.

Last edited by OregonBeaver; 11/14/20 08:20 PM.
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7050043
11/14/20 09:22 PM
11/14/20 09:22 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Thanks for posting. It has always amazed me that the commissioners will listen more to the people that know the least about the subject than the people that do. The State pay's biologist to do studies but they do not follow there advice. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7050231
11/15/20 12:09 AM
11/15/20 12:09 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I have been asked to take part in the Beaver Work Group. I'll keep y'all posted in the months ahead.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: beaverpeeler] #7050257
11/15/20 12:32 AM
11/15/20 12:32 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I have been asked to take part in the Beaver Work Group. I'll keep y'all posted in the months ahead.

Who is heading up the Beaver Work Group? State of Oregon, Private group, Trapping Org. etc.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: beaverpeeler] #7050287
11/15/20 12:55 AM
11/15/20 12:55 AM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline OP
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline OP
trapper
O

Oregon

That's great news! And please do

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7050358
11/15/20 06:49 AM
11/15/20 06:49 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
a good read ,everyone could learn from this post , all state need to get active with there NRC. keep up with what is going on in your state , join the state trapper's an the NTA ,

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7050375
11/15/20 07:26 AM
11/15/20 07:26 AM
WI
N
Nostalgia Offline
trapper
Nostalgia  Offline
trapper
N

WI
There almost should be a beaver ban petition in Wisconsin for a couple years the way the feds trap them here.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7050597
11/15/20 12:39 PM
11/15/20 12:39 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
The two work groups were proposed June of 2020 at the game commission hearing on a proposal to ban beaver trapping on the Siuslaw National Forest. At that time the do-gooders also hit us with a proposal to shorten the trap check interval to 24 hours. I believe the game commission proposed this and both sides will be represented.

I was approached shortly after by Stan Steele and asked if I might participate for our side along with another pretty articulate and well informed trapper by the name of David Walp. We both had sent letters in support of our side for the June hearing that Stan liked.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7050620
11/15/20 12:59 PM
11/15/20 12:59 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
Just as a side note, the above mentioned “retired” game warden and our esteemed beaverpeeler have a very long history. I will refrain from giving specifics but I did have the pleasure of witnessing first hand some of their early interactions!

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7050622
11/15/20 01:02 PM
11/15/20 01:02 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Your idea of 'pleasure' be twisted and perverted sir! "nuff said.

Stan, who is also a trapper had eyes in the back of his head....but he made me a better trapper.

Last edited by beaverpeeler; 11/15/20 01:04 PM.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7051084
11/15/20 08:02 PM
11/15/20 08:02 PM
Idaho
O
old_newbie Offline
trapper
old_newbie  Offline
trapper
O

Idaho
How can the state ban trapping beaver on Federal land? Just curious.

Member NTA, ITA, and USRTA
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: old_newbie] #7051183
11/15/20 09:10 PM
11/15/20 09:10 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by old_newbie
How can the state ban trapping beaver on Federal land? Just curious.

The state " manages" or mismanages alot of our fed lands.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread