No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: A few off the boards. [Re: NonPCfed] #7079288
12/08/20 11:30 AM
12/08/20 11:30 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline OP
trapper
Boco  Offline OP
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Is sable fur thicker and softer than mink...? They look like a neat critter but why are they one of the most primo, probably so per sq inch or cm in their heyday, of furbearers...?

Marten fur(sable) is deeper than mink.
A sable fur garment is very light weight compared to a mink garment,and looks much different.I think back in the early fur trade it was valued for its warmth also.

They make a nice warm hat because of the light weight-you hardly know you have anything on your head.

Large heavy male marten are used for trim on coats made of shorter fur like ranch mink/sheared beaver.

The early fur brigades running to Fort Temiskaming were paid in made marten skins.So it was a form of currency in North eastern Ontario back in the day.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: A few off the boards. [Re: AKbeardog] #7079303
12/08/20 11:42 AM
12/08/20 11:42 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline OP
trapper
Boco  Offline OP
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by AKbeardog
Good job Boco, do you ever pin the ears flat back?

When they pay the big money I take the extra time to pin the ears.
I pin them forward.

[Linked Image]

Re: A few off the boards. [Re: Boco] #7079318
12/08/20 11:52 AM
12/08/20 11:52 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Who taught you to put up fur, Boco? They are works of art. Sorry about the fur thong and loincloth comment but if anyone could rock one, I'd assume it would be a Canadian from the far north.

Re: A few off the boards. [Re: Boco] #7079338
12/08/20 12:14 PM
12/08/20 12:14 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline OP
trapper
Boco  Offline OP
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I started off trapping and tanning fur on my own Posco.I didnt know you could sell dry fur to anyone when I started trapping.When I was about 12 I trapped fur to tan and make stuff.I had already been hunting and snaring rabbits for 4 or 5 years by then.
Once I went North when I was 15 there were a lot of people trapping so I picked up trapping and skinning from some of them.Then when I went to work on the Moosonee line in my late teens,I started trapping with some Cree people on remote traplines and learned a lot about trapping and fur handling for the trade.And learned a lot of other stuff too.
Then I got a hold of the OTA trapping manuals and picked up some more stuff related to both fur handling and trapping.

The thing that helped me the most with raw fur handling was when I was learning how to tan furs.Any mistakes in the initial handling will show up when you go thru the tanning process.

Re: A few off the boards. [Re: Boco] #7079359
12/08/20 12:32 PM
12/08/20 12:32 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Boco
I started off trapping and tanning fur on my own Posco.I didnt know you could sell dry fur to anyone when I started trapping.When I was about 12 I trapped fur to tan and make stuff.I had already been hunting and snaring rabbits for 4 or 5 years by then.
Once I went North when I was 15 there were a lot of people trapping so I picked up trapping and skinning from some of them.Then when I went to work on the Moosonee line in my late teens,I started trapping with some Cree people on remote traplines and learned a lot about trapping and fur handling for the trade.And learned a lot of other stuff too.
Then I got a hold of the OTA trapping manuals and picked up some more stuff related to both fur handling and trapping.

The thing that helped me the most with raw fur handling was when I was learning how to tan furs.Any mistakes in the initial handling will show up when you go thru the tanning process.

That's awesome, you've taught me a lot.

Re: A few off the boards. [Re: Boco] #7079374
12/08/20 12:44 PM
12/08/20 12:44 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline OP
trapper
Boco  Offline OP
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I try to pass on stuff I have learned from others who were willing to share with me.
I like to participate in our council workshops and fieldtrips.Its a lot better for people getting into the trade to see people putting up fur and also doing it hands on,themselves with someone there to correct mistakes.
Once you pick up bad habits when learning they are difficult to correct later on.
I learned a lot of stuff along the way from attending the FHA conventions,and the skinning workshops and trapping field trips all around the province.
It helps if you live in an area where there are a lot of trappers,like here.

Re: A few off the boards. [Re: Boco] #7079475
12/08/20 02:22 PM
12/08/20 02:22 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
If you haven't yet you should write a book.

Re: A few off the boards. [Re: rex123] #7079778
12/08/20 06:53 PM
12/08/20 06:53 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline OP
trapper
Boco  Offline OP
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by rex123
If you haven't yet you should write a book.

I would but it might be incriminating,lol.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread