No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120106
01/04/21 02:34 PM
01/04/21 02:34 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by trapperdan93
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Pm sent
A lot of variables to consider when it comes to KS
Also we prefer conservative right leaning immigrants if you lean left or even sway left we're probably not too intrested but thanks for the consideration grin

Ultra Conservative Republican here!

That’s the kind we like. If you have a wife give deep consideration to how rural of a town you move to. A town like Ashland has everything you need but it will take some getting used to. If she was raised in the city most don’t adjust well. I’ve seen it many times. Nearest Walmart or Home Depot is not a quick trip. That being said there is no better place to raise a family then small town Kansas.

If you’re not married small towns are a hard places to meet women. Generally speaking if you draw a line north and south going through Larned Ks to the east is more people more hunting and trapping pressure and west is lots less of both. Good luck

PS brush up on your Spanish if you move to Liberal, Leoti, Lakin,Tribune and Sublette.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120109
01/04/21 02:38 PM
01/04/21 02:38 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Sounds great.

Nevada bound
Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120177
01/04/21 03:33 PM
01/04/21 03:33 PM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
Have you talked to the Area Cons in the state or assistant state cons? Just because they show openings - they may not have them. I worked for NRCS as well in two states and know there are vacancies and there are vacancies only shown so they can go through the hoops of promoting someone already doing the job. I will try and get back with you later by pm.

Re: Kansas Help [Re: Leftlane] #7120266
01/04/21 04:43 PM
01/04/21 04:43 PM
Nebraska
H
Hunter53 Offline
trapper
Hunter53  Offline
trapper
H

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Concordia might seem to be a long ways from anywhere but some of the biggest whitetail I have ever seen came from Cloud and neighboring Republic County. The guy with the trapping in Kansas threads is in that area so if you want to check on trapping read his posts. Water fowl hunting is big in the area and unless something has recently changed you would either have some of the best pheasant hunting in the state of just have to drive a few miles west to Jewel Co where every steer on feed has to share with 2 or 3 roosters.

Minneapolis would get you in the same area but you'd be close to Salina which isn't a bad little city.

Clay Center would have a lot going for it looking from an outdoorsman's perspective.

Once you get past Salina and Wichita headed west understand that the population drops off quickly. You might think you are in the dessert until the snow starts blowing and they you will call it (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) LOL

About the part in RED; you don't know Jewel county or that area very well if you think there are any amount of pheasants in the area!! It USED to be good but NOW there are very very few pheasants.
In-laws own land in Jewel county and I live very close and hunt it often.

Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120392
01/04/21 06:36 PM
01/04/21 06:36 PM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
Non-competitive District Con jobs with no supervisory authority sounds weird to me for a county under NRCS. They either are hiring on term positions, eliminating some soil con jobs and giving more responsibility to soil cons or something else. I really doubt there are 17 open counties for district con truly open. You really need to call and talk to the assistant state cons in Kansas and ask them what are the true vacancies if any.

Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120398
01/04/21 06:47 PM
01/04/21 06:47 PM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO

If you are serious and want to apply - call these four individuals tomorrow and inquire about the positions in each of their areas. Sell yourself to them. If you have experience as a soil con - they might consider you and definitely more if you call and talk to them.

Area 1 - Area Office located in Hays

Monty R. Breneman
Assistant State Conservationist
3012 Broadway Avenue
Hays, KS 67601-2418
785-625-2588Call: 785-625-2588 (Phone)
785-628-3746Call: 785-628-3746 (Fax)

Cheyenne County - St. Francis
Decatur County - Oberlin
Ellis County - Hays
Finney County - Garden City
Graham County - Hill City
Greeley County - Tribune
Hamilton County - Syracuse
Hodgeman County - Jetmore
Kearny County - Lakin
Lane County - Dighton
Logan County - Oakley
Ness County - Ness City
Norton County - Norton
Osborne County - Osborne
Phillips County - Phillipsburg
Rawlins County - Atwood
Rooks County - Stockton
Russell County - Russell
Scott County - Scott City
Sheridan County - Hoxie
Sherman County - Goodland
Smith County - Smith Center
Thomas County - Colby
Trego County - WaKeeney
Wallace County - Sharon Springs
Area 2 - Area Office located in Hutchinson

Kris R. Ethridge
2803 North Lorraine Street, Suite J
Hutchinson, KS 67502-4355
620-663-3501Call: 620-663-3501 (Phone)
620-663-3866Call: 620-663-3866 (Fax)

Barber County - Medicine Lodge
Barton County - Great Bend
Clark County - Ashland
Edwards County - Kinsley
Ford County - Dodge City
Grant County - Ulysses
Gray County - Cimarron
Harper County - Anthony
Harvey County - Newton
Haskell County - Sublette
Kingman County - Kingman
Kiowa County - Greensburg
Marion County - Marion
McPherson County - McPherson
Meade County - Meade
Pawnee County - Larned
Pratt County - Pratt
Reno County - South Hutchinson
Rice County - Lyons
Rush County - LaCrosse
Sedgwick County - Wichita
Seward County - Liberal
Stafford County - St John
Stanton County - Johnson
Stevens County - Hugoton
Sumner County - Wellington
Area 3 - Area Office located in Emporia

Bruce K. Wells
3020 West 18th Avenue, Suite B
Emporia, KS 66801-5140
620-343-7276Call: 620-343-7276 (Phone)
620-343-7871Call: 620-343-7871 (Fax)

Allen County - Iola
Anderson County - Garnett
Bourbon County - Ft Scott
Butler County - El Dorado
Cherokee County - Columbus
Coffey County - Burlington
Cowley County - Winfield
Crawford County - Girard
Elk County - Howard
Franklin County - Ottawa
Greenwood County - Eureka
Labette County - Altamont
Linn County - Mound City
Lyon County - Emporia
Miami County - Paola
Montgomery County - Independence
Morris County - Council Grove
Neosho County - Erie
Wilson County - Fredonia
Area 4 - Area Office located in Manhattan

Troy J. Munsch
3705 Miller Parkway, Suite B
Manhattan, KS 66503-7604
(785) 776-7582Call: (785) 776-7582 (Phone)
(785) 539-7983Call: (785) 539-7983 (Fax)

Atchison County - Effingham
Brown County - Hiawatha
Clay County - Clay Center
Cloud County - Concordia
Dickinson County - Abilene
Doniphan County - Troy
Douglas County - Lawrence
Ellsworth County - Ellsworth
Jackson County - Holton
Jefferson County - Oskaloosa
Jewell County - Mankato
Lincoln County - Lincoln
Marshall County - Marysville
Mitchell County - Beloit
Nemaha County - Seneca
Osage County - Lyndon
Ottawa County - Minneapolis
Pottawatomie County - Westmoreland
Republic County - Belleville
Riley County - Manhattan
Saline County - Salina
Shawnee County - Topeka
Wabaunsee County - Alma
Washington County - Washington
Map dated: 1/21/2019

Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120410
01/04/21 06:55 PM
01/04/21 06:55 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ve only turkey hunted in North central Kansas and the people are without a doubt some of the most friendliest I have ever met. A bottle of JD and an afternoon just talking has always got us access to private ground. Plenty of WIHA areas around the State and area as well. I learned quickly, when asked, to tell them you care nothing about pheasants and deer and you’re in, lol!

Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120466
01/04/21 07:29 PM
01/04/21 07:29 PM
Kansas
S
Swifty Offline
trapper
Swifty  Offline
trapper
S

Kansas
If you like to do much water trapping (or even fishing), don't go to the southwest part, unless you are willing to drive a fair distance. There is relatively very little surface water, and that is why the humidity is fairly low. My house overlooks the Arkansas "River" in the southwest part of the state. There is water in it only very occasionally here. Yes, it is dry the vast majority of the time, and is a far better ATV track, than river. There is usually water in the river closer to the Colorado line, but once it hits the main irrigation diversion, it isn't in the river bed much anymore, until someplace east of Dodge City. There are no running streams in my county, unless a heavy rain event happens. If you want to get away from chiggers, then this may be where you want to be.

Northwest Kansas surface water condition may be a bit better.

Re: Kansas Help [Re: Swifty] #7120471
01/04/21 07:30 PM
01/04/21 07:30 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by Swifty
If you like to do much water trapping (or even fishing), don't go to the southwest part, unless you are willing to drive a fair distance. There is relatively very little surface water, and that is why the humidity is fairly low. My house overlooks the Arkansas "River" in the southwest part of the state. There is water in it only very occasionally here. Yes, it is dry the vast majority of the time, and is a far better ATV track, than river. There is usually water in the river closer to the Colorado line, but once it hits the main irrigation diversion, it isn't in the river bed much anymore, until someplace east of Dodge City. There are no running streams in my county, unless a heavy rain event happens. If you want to get away from chiggers, then this may be where you want to be.

Any mule deer?Critters in southwest part?

Nevada bound
Re: Kansas Help [Re: Hunter53] #7120480
01/04/21 07:34 PM
01/04/21 07:34 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by Hunter53

About the part in RED; you don't know Jewel county or that area very well if you think there are any amount of pheasants in the area!! It USED to be good but NOW there are very very few pheasants.

I might be sick- lots of fond memories around Con, Jamestown wetlands, and out into Jewel Co. Back in the day one of the more successful cattlemen in that area complained about all the turkey and pheasants he grained every morning with the cattle. He told us "please kill them all and if you like eating them that's ok too".

Yessir- Salina was just right and you must know a little about the crowd I ran with back in the day LOL.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Kansas Help [Re: Leftlane] #7120501
01/04/21 07:45 PM
01/04/21 07:45 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Originally Posted by Hunter53

I might be sick- lots of fond memories around Con, Jamestown wetlands, and out into Jewel Co. Back in the day one of the more successful cattlemen in that area complained about all the turkey and pheasants he grained every morning with the cattle. He told us "please kill them all and if you like eating them that's ok too".

Yessir- Salina was just right and you must know a little about the crowd I ran with back in the day LOL.

You've dropped a few names also your circle and my circle might have overlapped a little bit be it at maybe a little different time

Re: Kansas Help [Re: Bruce T] #7120509
01/04/21 07:52 PM
01/04/21 07:52 PM
Kansas
S
Swifty Offline
trapper
Swifty  Offline
trapper
S

Kansas
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Originally Posted by Swifty

Any mule deer?Critters in southwest part?

There are both whitetail and mule deer. Coyotes; bobcats generally along riparian areas; some red fox in and very close to towns; swift fox; raccoons; beaver where there is permanent water; some opossums; striped skunks; pheasants; some bobwhite quail and some scaled quail; mourning doves; some lesser prairie chickens (but can't be hunted); pronghorn antelope; a few elk; can be good waterfowl hunting IF the playas have water during fall migration.

Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120525
01/04/21 08:04 PM
01/04/21 08:04 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Thanks,Swifty

Nevada bound
Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120531
01/04/21 08:07 PM
01/04/21 08:07 PM
Northwest Kansas
O
obaro Offline
trapper
obaro  Offline
trapper
O

Northwest Kansas
Pawnee is telling you right on the social aspects of western KS. I was born in Tribune and lived not far from the Colorado line for most of my life. The wife/woman issue he mentioned is very real. I managed to play the teacher lottery and came out a big winner.

Also, consider that something like 98% of the state is privately owned. Working at NRCS will give a leg up in getting to know land owners, but sometimes it takes a while to get access until the locals get to know you. There is lots of Walk In Hunting Areas in some parts, but it does see a lot more pressure on the critters, too.

Re: Kansas Help [Re: TurkeyTime] #7120542
01/04/21 08:15 PM
01/04/21 08:15 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
A lot of good advise. I obviously don't live there but have a lot of relatives and friends there and have spent a lot of time in every part of the state. Like D Clifton=stay away from those cities listed. My own personal preference is that I love the whole state but am not a fan of the extreme SE part of the state.

As I live in extreme southeast ks I am curious about what you dont like about it

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120545
01/04/21 08:17 PM
01/04/21 08:17 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
Stay away from liberal ks unless you have a strong stomach. I drove through there a couple weeks ago. The smell from the meat packing plant about made me puke. The whole town smelled horrible.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120560
01/04/21 08:33 PM
01/04/21 08:33 PM
Wisconsin
W
WI Farmer Offline
trapper
WI Farmer  Offline
trapper
W

Wisconsin
I grew up 14 miles from Independence. Great place to live. People are friendly and most have good common sense. My Mom and many relatives still live there. Good hunting and fishing. Lots of rivers and creeks to trap. Grew up coon hunting with dogs and calling coyotes. Good quail hunting and lots of big whitetails. Let me know if you decide on that area, my old roommate owns several acres close bye that isn’t trapped but is hunted. I could give you his number.

Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120648
01/04/21 09:33 PM
01/04/21 09:33 PM
Kansas
K
Kansas Cat Offline
trapper
Kansas Cat  Offline
trapper
K

Kansas
Sorry 49er, I can't make that promise unless your thermometer measures temperature in °C.

Re: Kansas Help [Re: Yes sir] #7120682
01/04/21 09:50 PM
01/04/21 09:50 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Bruce T
I will be looking into that northwest corner myself.

If your hunting whitetails don't go to far west. There's some out there but there are more and just as big east and central.

I’ll agree with some of that Yes sir but it really depends on the area out here. 17 of the last 18 years my little brother has killed a 165 plus whitetail. The reason he wasn’t 18 for 18 is because he hunted and killed a 220 non-typical mule deer. He kill a management buck this year because he spent most of his time taking his kids out. Definitely better mule deer than whitetail the further west you go

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Kansas Help [Re: trapperdan93] #7120691
01/04/21 09:53 PM
01/04/21 09:53 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Nice Pawnee

Nevada bound