No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7156215
01/26/21 09:02 PM
01/26/21 09:02 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I went to bed, woke up and found my thread about post-Constitutional America gone. Something went south with it, I'm not sure what but that's where we're heading. Not much else is going to matter if we're not safe from our own government in our own country.

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7156226
01/26/21 09:09 PM
01/26/21 09:09 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I agree with those sentiments atrapper.

Most people live somewhere in the middle between the two poles, and those are the ones we need to appeal to as their votes make or break when it comes to legislation that threatens our profession.

Carl, I'll give you a break as you don't live in MN but I can unequivocally guarantee and will bet anyone that if the liberals ever take the senate in MN and the house and governor's office stay in the hands of the Democrats, trapping as we currently know it will cease to exist.

If anybody disagrees with me take a look at the House committee that directs our DNR.

https://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/Committees/members/92007

Do some research on the committee chair and the majorities members pertaining to past bills.

"Most people don't matter" Those in power and those who show up make the rules.

Anyone want to bet if we have a timber wolf season this coming fall?

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7156229
01/26/21 09:10 PM
01/26/21 09:10 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Interesting Posco. I'm always amazed at the number of people that don't directly link their start of trapping to a friend or family member but rather something they read or saw for themselves that piqued their interest. Good on you for introducing someone to trapping.

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: 3togo] #7156234
01/26/21 09:13 PM
01/26/21 09:13 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by 3togo
Bernie is correct.
The Keystone pipeline cancellation was on the news last night. I'm sure some of you watched. When finished it would be zero carbon emissions for transporting crude.
China Joe killed it because liberals stare straight ahead.
Now it will all be transported by truck or train.

Too bad ol China Joe wouldn't kill 11,000 gubbemint jobs.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: mnsota] #7156266
01/26/21 09:28 PM
01/26/21 09:28 PM
Moscow ,Ohio
U
uglyduck Offline
trapper
uglyduck  Offline
trapper
U

Moscow ,Ohio
Originally Posted by mnsota

I'm pretty sure it was the past administration that was attacking the public lands we hunt, fish, and trap. That's certainly a threat to my way of life. That said, liberals do few favors for trappers.

The past administration opened up more public lands to hunting and trapping.

i read about the DJT signing that bill in a magazine about a year ago, but for sake having to argue ,i just moved on down the tread.

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Posco] #7156280
01/26/21 09:33 PM
01/26/21 09:33 PM
Moscow ,Ohio
U
uglyduck Offline
trapper
uglyduck  Offline
trapper
U

Moscow ,Ohio
Originally Posted by Posco
I went to bed, woke up and found my thread about post-Constitutional America gone. Something went south with it, I'm not sure what but that's where we're heading. Not much else is going to matter if we're not safe from our own government in our own country.

just trow it out there again ,maybe the second it stay.

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7156314
01/26/21 09:46 PM
wyoming
W
WyFurHarvesters Offline
trapper
WyFurHarvesters  Offline
trapper
W

wyoming
I dont think they care about renewable or synthetics its all about killing an animal and the stigma. If you wanted to argue renewable and biodegradable aspects of fur anyone that wanted to argue the fact would ask you how much gas you use to catch a coyote and what goes into processing a fur for garment use what kind of chemicals are used. I know synthetics use petroleum and do not biodegrade very fast. The reason most do not wear fur is because of the stigma of killing an animal in a direct form. I always argue that if you wear cotton, synthetics, live in a home eat meat or are a vegatarian you are killing indirectly displacing wildlife.

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: atrapper] #7156317
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by atrapper
That horse has been dead awhile.

I'm curious to hear what others have done to help introduce others to trapping? What or who got you hooked on trapping?

I sell organic produce at a farmers market so I have access to plenty of liberal types. Some of them know of my other advocation and so I have been able to talk about how I see myself as part of nature's circle of life (and death) rather than just a distant observer. I think it maybe opens their eyes a little bit that there are other ways to look at things.

I had a good interaction with one guy (very liberal type) who was interested in learning to hunt deer as he wanted a natural source of hormone free meat. My point was why not learn to trap as well? I layed out the comparative cost of hunting license and tag to trapping license and how much more meat he could put up trapping beaver. Also how much more productive the ratio of hours of effort per lb boned out meat was going the trapping route. I ended up taking him out on my boat line and his jaw literally dropped when he saw that boat fill up with several hundred lbs of beaver. He got sent home with some backstrap and was very impressed.

Point being, in all this our story may resonate with more people than you would normally think. Trapping can really fit into the back to the land homestead/permaculture/sustainable/healthy living lifestyle.

Last edited by beaverpeeler; 01/26/21 09:47 PM.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7156326
01/26/21 09:50 PM
01/26/21 09:50 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Well done, peeler. We all should take advantage of situations like this to promote what we do.

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7156334
01/26/21 09:53 PM
01/26/21 09:53 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware

I'm curious to hear what others have done to help introduce others to trapping? What or who got you hooked on trapping?

I sell organic produce at a farmers market so I have access to plenty of liberal types. Some of them know of my other advocation and so I have been able to talk about how I see myself as part of nature's circle of life (and death) rather than just a distant observer. I think it maybe opens their eyes a little bit that there are other ways to look at things.

I had a good interaction with one guy (very liberal type) who was interested in learning to hunt deer as he wanted a natural source of hormone free meat. My point was why not learn to trap as well? I layed out the comparative cost of hunting license and tag to trapping license and how much more meat he could put up trapping beaver. Also how much more productive the ratio of hours of effort per lb boned out meat was going the trapping route. I ended up taking him out on my boat line and his jaw literally dropped when he saw that boat fill up with several hundred lbs of beaver. He got sent home with some backstrap and was very impressed.

Point being, in all this our story may resonate with more people than you would normally think. Trapping can really fit into the back to the land homestead/permaculture/sustainable/healthy living lifestyle.

Inform them how many edible products such as beverages, baked goods, ice cream, candy, and especially in chewing gum are made with Beaver Castor.
laugh

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7156343
01/26/21 09:55 PM
01/26/21 09:55 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Actually had a liberal author/photographer ride my line with me a couple of years ago. She told me 5 years ago she would have spit in my face and slapped my face for trapping and killing animals. And since we were being honest, I told her had she done that, that my wife would have beat her into the dirt because a Southern gentleman doesn’t hit a woman.
She went on to explain she used to love photographing elk and moose in the NW, but after the reintroduction of wolves they were few and far between. At that point she realized management was needed for all animals. She actually had no issue with me sending a coyote and a couple of coons to the rainbow bridge. She was a strange bird to say the least, but she did understand trapping as a management practice, especially on a wild bird plantation.

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Scuba1] #7156414
01/26/21 10:19 PM
01/26/21 10:19 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by Scuba1
[Linked Image]

Nailed it

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7157192
01/27/21 11:41 AM
01/27/21 11:41 AM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN

Beaverpeeler and WannaBe, this is exactly what the trapping world needs more of. Thank you for taking the time to inform these people on what trapping is all about. If each trapper could take the time (and patience) to inform people why trapping has a place, we would all be much better off. I live in a small rural northern Minnesota town where trapping as an income and way of life is only a generation or two removed. Yet I'm always amazed at how people in our small community look upon trappers as crusty old dudes that just have a thirst to kill. Most are shocked when they realize that me, the liberal 3rd grade public school teacher, teaches trapping classes, gun safety classes, and encourages my students to skip a few days of school to hunt or fish with family.
Whether we always acknowledge it or not, as trappers we have the benefit of seeing natural cycles and nature at work each time we're out. Our anecdotal accounts align with fact. We are all guilty of claiming mastery but being ignorant in some aspect of life. It's no different with the vast majority of the public. Like mentioned above, many just fixate on the killing part of trapping rather than the population dynamic benefits and even damage control benefits. Most that despise trapping and hunting just don't know the facts. And if they refuse to see fact, then they are not the clientele that we need to spend our time educating.

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7157203
01/27/21 11:55 AM
01/27/21 11:55 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Some years ago, as I was walking out of a restaurant wearing my coyote hat, a woman looked at me and said she didn't like my hat!

I said to her, "I think it's very unkind for you to say that. I think the coat you're wearing is really ugly, but I'd never tell you that."

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7157293
01/27/21 01:06 PM
01/27/21 01:06 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
I bet your hat was a lot warmer than her coat too!

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7157299
01/27/21 01:11 PM
01/27/21 01:11 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I sometimes feel like pointing out to people wearing faux fur collars how bad that is for the environment and that they should really choose a sustainable alternative. (Duh, real fur).

I guess I was brought up to be polite.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: atrapper] #7157300
01/27/21 01:13 PM
01/27/21 01:13 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I bet your hat was a lot warmer than her coat too!

I'm sure it was since that was a cold day. I only wear my coyote hat when the temp is below zero. Too hot otherwise.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7157411
01/27/21 02:40 PM
01/27/21 02:40 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Hahah for sure. I can only wear my fur hats when I'm snowblowing on the tractor or driving snowmobile. Just too warm to do any kind of walking with them on. I don't know how some guys wear those beaver pelt bikini's all day long!

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: Flint Lock] #7157646
01/27/21 06:09 PM
01/27/21 06:09 PM
wyoming
W
WyFurHarvesters Offline
trapper
WyFurHarvesters  Offline
trapper
W

wyoming
I have condemned on several occasions faux fur telling them it uses precious oil always compliment folks wearing real fur. Unreal how many compliments my wife gets on her fur vest and trimmed coats.

Re: Remind your liberal friends that... [Re: upstateNY] #7157650
01/27/21 06:16 PM
01/27/21 06:16 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by upstateNY
I find it disgusting that every thread on here has to turn political and put down liberals. I know plenty of liberals that don't have a clue about true science and plenty of conservatives that don't have a clue either. Even though this threads topic is derogative toward liberals, the original theme is about how to promote fur. Essentially how to help trapping gain traction. Aren't we all here because of trapping? Don't we all want the same thing? It would be nice if people put the politics aside and helped each other out with a heritage that we all feel is important.

cry

lol

-Goofy-
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread