No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: After reading lady123 retirement [Re: wamp] #7164840
02/01/21 08:34 AM
02/01/21 08:34 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
I retired in August of 2018 at 62. Was a tech with the phone company for 34 years and then an Airport manager for 9 years and now I am so busy having fun I don't have time for anything else.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: After reading lady123 retirement [Re: wamp] #7164926
02/01/21 10:14 AM
02/01/21 10:14 AM
Ballard Co Ky
D
Donnie Shafer Offline
trapper
Donnie Shafer  Offline
trapper
D

Ballard Co Ky
Waiting to turn 60,about a year and 1/2 to go

Re: After reading lady123 retirement [Re: topknot] #7164997
02/01/21 11:20 AM
02/01/21 11:20 AM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
Originally Posted by topknot
Congrats to all those that have been able to retire. I hope that the ability to retire and not "have to work" is attainable in the future. I wonder out of all those that have retired how many are only able to do so because of a pension? Social security is a joke, pensions are rare anymore.
The normal plan for retirement was always, SS, pension, savings. You are right about pensions being rare anymore. So that puts more emphasis on savings. If your employer has a 401K, fund it as much as possible.

Re: After reading lady123 retirement [Re: wamp] #7165046
02/01/21 12:11 PM
02/01/21 12:11 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
So far planning on July this year. No pension and no health care. SS and maybe going on the wife's health plan from her work. I will be 64. She retires, current plan, Jan 1 of 22. No pension or health care. Our combines SS will cover a little over half our expected needed income. I'm 65 Apr. 22 and she is 65 xmas 22. Income outside of SS will be our retirement accounts which are currently in good shape. Maybe with enough fairy dust our puppet president will keep the stock market in good shape.
We are fortunate to each own property here in Alaska that is not assessed a property tax. We also hope to do some traveling and the sale of our current home will fund some new f that.

Re: After reading lady123 retirement [Re: snowy] #7165055
02/01/21 12:19 PM
02/01/21 12:19 PM
PA
P
PSB1011 Offline
trapper
PSB1011  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by snowy
This is kind of off topic but does relate to retirement. Most that I know that are still working in there late 60's and beyond are afraid to lose there identity because their work is who they are. Or one guy can't give up his leadership roll because he doesn't think anyone else can do his job. Some work because they are hoarders of money and see themselves as a king of wealth puts them which gives then the good feeling to be above most. And some that I know work because they have and absolutely need their job. Some work because they feel they can't stay busy and find a new way in life without a structured way and institutionalized that they know, no other way of life.

After saying all of that and people I know that fit each character described there isn't anything wrong doing any one of them for that reason. Do what makes you happy.

I do know, I for one, when I'm on my death bed, won't wish I had one more day at the office even thou I enjoyed my work each and every day. More to life then making someone else rich. Freedom to live each minute is a blessing.

On the other side of the coin,I have worked with many 30-50 year olds that every day want to go home early, and volunteer to miss days if work is slow.Then cry about not having any or enough money.

Re: After reading lady123 retirement [Re: PSB1011] #7165109
02/01/21 01:07 PM
02/01/21 01:07 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by PSB1011
Originally Posted by snowy
This is kind of off topic but does relate to retirement. Most that I know that are still working in there late 60's and beyond are afraid to lose there identity because their work is who they are. Or one guy can't give up his leadership roll because he doesn't think anyone else can do his job. Some work because they are hoarders of money and see themselves as a king of wealth puts them which gives then the good feeling to be above most. And some that I know work because they have and absolutely need their job. Some work because they feel they can't stay busy and find a new way in life without a structured way and institutionalized that they know, no other way of life.

After saying all of that and people I know that fit each character described there isn't anything wrong doing any one of them for that reason. Do what makes you happy.

I do know, I for one, when I'm on my death bed, won't wish I had one more day at the office even thou I enjoyed my work each and every day. More to life then making someone else rich. Freedom to live each minute is a blessing.

On the other side of the coin,I have worked with many 30-50 year olds that every day want to go home early, and volunteer to miss days if work is slow.Then cry about not having any or enough money.

That is a complete 180 degree in a different direction. We are talking about people that could retire or of age to retire is to the reference I made.

As far as dead beats and people that want hands and do anything from wanting to work is a completely different subject and people you are talking about don't fit the criteria described.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread