No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167947
02/03/21 07:34 PM
02/03/21 07:34 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Scientists say the earth was quite warm when the dinosaurs roamed. I can see evidence that glaciers once was in Kansas, so I can conclude that it was much colder at that time. I do not think all of the dinosaur's factories and automobiles caused the earth to cool to the point that the glaciers pushed down to Kansas. I also don't believe the woolly mammoths cars and factories caused it to warm up to the point the ice melted. My point is the earth is constantly changing and I do not believe there is a darn thing we can do to change it. We just have to adapt with it or go extinct like the mentioned creatures that roamed the earth prior to us.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167951
02/03/21 07:36 PM
02/03/21 07:36 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

facts is facts.

sure, interpretation of facts varies due to MANY factors...including bias, knowledge, experience, politics, ad infinitum...

but facts is facts.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: white marlin] #7167974
02/03/21 07:53 PM
02/03/21 07:53 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted by white marlin
not QUITE following you, Ryan....

but here's the thing: many of us might agree that the earth is getting warmer, at least in the short term.

Where I'm having a problem, is buying the line that humans are CAUSING it. we may in fact BE influencing climate, but that argument has NOT been scientifically proven.

all that side has as arguments are imperfect computer models and a correlation in time.

Come see the North then maybe you’ll follow along better

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167978
02/03/21 07:54 PM
02/03/21 07:54 PM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

what does this mean?

"and the event that kicks it all off here in the north where none of you live and therefore know less about is higher temperatures."

Last edited by white marlin; 02/03/21 07:56 PM.
Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167981
02/03/21 07:55 PM
02/03/21 07:55 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Let me throw this hypothetical question out here. This big blue marble is a “fish bowl” and sealed off. With one fish in it, it’s at “x” temperature to start. Add another fish to the bowl, and another, etc. etc. Doesn’t the temp rise inside the bowl? An analogy would be putting one person in a room at “x” temp and as more people come in the room, it gets tighter and body heat from “x” # of people will certainly raise the room temp. Possibly another cause as Global Warming? We gotta lot of people on the marble along with everything else environmentally going on. Just a thought. Not an argument. :-)

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: white marlin] #7167990
02/03/21 07:59 PM
02/03/21 07:59 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
what does this mean?

"and the event that kicks it all off here in the north where none of you live and therefore know less about is higher temperatures."

Higher temperatures than were used to sets off the cause and effect events. That’s pretty easy to interpret isn’t it?
I added the extra words because it’s so funny that I share stuff from this part of the world and some people try to correct me.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: Ryan McLeod] #7168001
02/03/21 08:04 PM
02/03/21 08:04 PM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
what does this mean?

Higher temperatures than were used to sets off the cause and effect events. That’s pretty easy to interpret isn’t it?

well, I think the big question is: what started the higher temperatures?

if it's a natural phenomena, then there's nothing we can do about it, other than adapt.

if it's humans, there are those who want to control our economic activity to mitigate it.

which camp (perhaps another?) do you belong to?

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168228
02/03/21 10:06 PM
02/03/21 10:06 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
I appreciate and am at awe with Ryans exploits and experiences, where he lives and all
However, I also have lived in an area for a considerably longer period of time, why is my area not as important and not as special as Ryans. My weather and climate has not changed that much. I still dress the same in 2021 as I did in 1961. I wear the same gloves, same Carhart jacket, I still hate March as the muddiest, nastiest month on the calendar, so not much has changed here, BUT I dont got stuff like reindeer and polar bears so my stuff dont count.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: SJA] #7168441
02/04/21 12:03 AM
02/04/21 12:03 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline OP
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by SJA
Let me throw this hypothetical question out here. This big blue marble is a “fish bowl” and sealed off. With one fish in it, it’s at “x” temperature to start. Add another fish to the bowl, and another, etc. etc. Doesn’t the temp rise inside the bowl? An analogy would be putting one person in a room at “x” temp and as more people come in the room, it gets tighter and body heat from “x” # of people will certainly raise the room temp. Possibly another cause as Global Warming? We gotta lot of people on the marble along with everything else environmentally going on. Just a thought. Not an argument. :-)

Well I will bite because I'm stupid answer is no fish are cold blooded . They are the same temp as the ambient surroundings. BUT the water level will rise just not get warmer.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168444
02/04/21 12:05 AM
02/04/21 12:05 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline OP
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ky
But one thing Ryan and I apologized pre comments. How do you expect a Ky person to agree about global warming when last page you said it was 56 below zero LOL . How many days has it been that cold? what is the forecast on length of those temps?

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168449
02/04/21 12:10 AM
02/04/21 12:10 AM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by SJA

Well I will bite because I'm stupid answer is no fish are cold blooded . They are the same temp as the ambient surroundings. BUT the water level will rise just not get warmer.

The fish was just the "fish bowl" Theory. The point was with "condensed" human heating.

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168485
02/04/21 12:37 AM
02/04/21 12:37 AM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
But one thing Ryan and I apologized pre comments. How do you expect a Ky person to agree about global warming when last page you said it was 56 below zero LOL . How many days has it been that cold? what is the forecast on length of those temps?

It turned that cold on Saturday night when I had 3 caribou to work on in the mountains. It’s supposed to stay this cold for about 4-5 days I think. My grandpa said this was normal temperatures long ago. Now days people act like it’s extremely cold out. I’m just going out the door to check snares with Morgan.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168497
02/04/21 01:10 AM
02/04/21 01:10 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Your Grandpa is quite correct,Ryan.Listen to the Elders.
People who have been out on the land all their life and are old now can easily notice the changes due to the climate being warmer now.
People on the land every day year in and year out depended on long stretches of cold for ease and safety of travel.They notice when things change making their day to day lives different now than before.
People have to adapt and change their ways to accomodate changes in the environment.November under ice beaver trapping is non existant here anymore but was common 40 years ago.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168529
02/04/21 03:00 AM
02/04/21 03:00 AM
Northwest Territories
M
muskrat411 Offline
trapper
muskrat411  Offline
trapper
M

Northwest Territories
Man: I missed out on a great scientific debate!
-45C in Aklavik today I think the ice fog from all the truck exhaust makes it colder in Inuvik.
I went to traps on Tuesday it was flippen cold. Caribou seemed happy. They seem to be enjoying the lack of snow.
Weird get sick of rain all summer and really high water. Water so high that a dam in the southern NWT had to release water three times. Now all the trapper camps along the river are flooded out.
No snow once it cools off. All the snow seems to be falling in the summit regions of Yukon and Alaska.
Thankfully our Porcupine Caribou herd is really doing good. I think the cold, wet & windy summers are controlling the insect populations so the caribou are not harassed as much.

I did not come up with anything new or controversial so I probably won't fire the thread back up.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168590
02/04/21 07:18 AM
02/04/21 07:18 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Humans have always looked around them and said "look what I've done" and while humans have done a lot of things, we're haven't even gotten close to creating a dot on an "I" of the alphabet A-Z. We are self-adulating and all the while we're part of a creation we're blessed to be in but only about 5 minutes from exiting at any one moment. In that tension, we say, "Look at me!" As creation hums along with or without "me." In argument, I tell creation, "You better pay attention to me, or I'll.... I'll.... I'll change you!" Creation pays no heed as ants forage and bees buzz and corn grows.

So we tell the corn and the bees and the ants, "I'll figure out how you work and show you my mastery!"
They still pay no attention to humans.

And they never will. We do not hold the lock to the door of Creation.
Even the ants and the bees and the corn know that.
And they're not smart.

"Why" does corn grow from a seed > stalk > leaved > ripe plant?
Not "How"... the what.
Why?

When humans answer that, maybe they'll "do what we say!"
Make the mountains bow down and the rocks cry out wink

My money is on the reason humans are here in the 1st place, and it's not what the world of humanists tells us.
The next wonder child that tells me that they are able to mold creation at their beckoning, I'll say "Ok. Tell that ant to stop."
See how that goes.
If the ant stops by his command. Cool. If not. Next!
I'll place faith in the One who commands all of it by His Word.
Because Karma is a heathen concept.

Blessings y'all.
Mark

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168607
02/04/21 07:40 AM
02/04/21 07:40 AM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

I've said essentially the same thing, Mark...

yeah, you may have some understanding of photosynthesis and how lignon and cellulose are structured within a tree...

but go ahead and MAKE one...

(I'll wait)

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: white marlin] #7168626
02/04/21 08:12 AM
02/04/21 08:12 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I've said essentially the same thing, Mark...

yeah, you may have some understanding of photosynthesis and how lignon and cellulose are structured within a tree...

but go ahead and MAKE one...

(I'll wait)

Because we can't fathom the infinite, we make up theories to explain it.
And call ourselves Masters of the Universe!.
Makes for great movies, but lousy fact.
What we can not explain, we have a bad human habit of scoffing at or dismissing as myth.
Like I said, the next prideful human that tells me they have a key that unlocks a door, I'll ask them to stop an ant in his tracks.

Our nature is to see what we see and call it good, as in, I have the "goods."
As time marches on according to Purpose and Plan.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168656
02/04/21 08:47 AM
02/04/21 08:47 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Personal observation is a poor indicator of climate change. Measurable changes in the earths temperature that have occurred in the past are quantified in tenths of degrees in either direction. Incremental changes of tha magnatude are undetectable over a persons lifetime. Memory is greatly effected by recall bias. No one remembers day to day norms, but we do recall unusual weather events. Recollection of how cold or warm it was 30-40 years ago is based on relatively few memorable extreme events.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168664
02/04/21 09:00 AM
02/04/21 09:00 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Oh but that's how facts are typically gathered. By human observation. The bias is up to the one observing.
To submit there is no bias is to stand firmly upon it.

You know what's harder?
To humbly admit we don't have all the answers.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7168702
02/04/21 09:26 AM
02/04/21 09:26 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Scientists say that the Rocky Mountains were carved by glaciers moving across the continent. Then the glacier melted. I'm thankful for that global warming.
I like the mountains.
One can find shark teeth laying about the ground east of Russell Kansas. Global change.
What is the make-up of the coal in northeast Wyoming? Must've been heavy vegetation there before the mountains were formed. ?
I saw rocks yesterday that had crustacean shells molten into the rocks. Global change.
Ever seen Fremont Canyon in Wyoming below Pathfinder Reservoir? More global change.
Now global change is frightening.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread