No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7182731
02/14/21 11:17 PM
02/14/21 11:17 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
[Linked Image]

Wade here is an image from phone app from Pulsar axion monocular. Furthest treeline is well over a quarter mile away. The image is a lot clearer than it looks, hard to hold steady when it's 30 below lol. No problem picking up coyotes at that range and easily identifiable as a canine.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7186487
02/17/21 03:31 PM
02/17/21 03:31 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Finally had some success. We were down to -30 to 40 ish wind chill yesterday morning. It warmed up to about zero yesterday.. I went out last night when I woke up at 2 am wide awake. No wind and that perfect crisp cold. It was about -8 most of the time I was out. I did have one stand where I had a coyote hold up at about 200 yards in some timber. I think the monocular would have shined. It came in but I couldn’t keep up with the sporadic movements with the gun/scope.

I was able to call in two pairs. With one lone howl followed by 3 minutes of female yodel. I never made it to the 3 minute mark either time. Generally I pause for a couple minutes then switch to distress but with the yodel both pairs came as hard as they could run to me.

Definitely a game changer at night they seem to have little to no fear if they haven’t been pressured. I’m not much for follow up shots but I did put a male out of one pair and a female out of another down. They came in hot and left just as hot when I lit the first ones up. First shot was right at 100 and the second was even closer around 50 I had to squeak to get them to slow down. About ran me over. The .223 did it’s job both times. Little to no recovery.

I’m definitely learning to pick my locations at night for where I’m setting up. The bold ones will run right at you but the weary ones are still trying to get down wind of you any chance they get. I’ve picked up some coyotes scanning the cover leading down wind of the caller that could have been picked off if set up correctly.

Steven the Pulsar monocular is on my list for preseason next year. Definitely will make my life a lot easier. My buddy is waiting on his binoculars to come in. He got the Pulsar Accolade in the $5-6k range. He’s a US Marshall. He got them for “work” but intends to use them a lot more for killing varmints from what I understand.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 02/17/21 03:38 PM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread