No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Idaho Spring Bear Hunting #7171053
02/06/21 08:58 AM
02/06/21 08:58 AM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline OP
trapper
3togo  Offline OP
trapper

Henry Co, IL
For all you folks familiar with this topic.
I have a friend in WY that can put me on a public land spot that he knows produces routinely. Wyoming cost is $373 + 12.50 conservation stamp.

I have searched the Idaho reg's and talked with a person in the Clearwater office about pricing and bear populations.
Non-resident license is $185 + 10.00 stamp. Reduced price bear tag is $41.75.
Most of the 16 available units for the reduced price tag are in wilderness type areas.

Knowing this would be a back pack type hunt, is there a reasonable amount of open grassy areas in these units to make spotting bears possible?

I have checked Google Earth and many of them have trailheads that would allow access to south or east facing slopes.

I deer hunted near Whitebird back in the 80's so am somewhat familiar with the type of terrain we'd be looking at.

Anyone with information that would like to share please PM me a message. Thanks

Re: Idaho Spring Bear Hunting [Re: 3togo] #7171058
02/06/21 09:03 AM
02/06/21 09:03 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Yes I’ve hunted there for spring bears
Pm coming

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Idaho Spring Bear Hunting [Re: 3togo] #7171163
02/06/21 10:33 AM
02/06/21 10:33 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Look for areas of checkerboard sections which have been logged off. The north end of unit 9 is an example.

Might bump into you if you're there in May.

Re: Idaho Spring Bear Hunting [Re: 3togo] #7171343
02/06/21 01:22 PM
02/06/21 01:22 PM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
Another option to think about for fall bear hunting is Colorado. They reduced the NR bear tag prices there last year. Think it would run you about $150 for a tag there. I'm really thinking about hitting up Idaho for spring bear one of these years to do a combo bear hunt/elk scouting trip. Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Idaho Spring Bear Hunting [Re: 3togo] #7171407
02/06/21 02:01 PM
02/06/21 02:01 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
One thing to keep in mind is a lot of that country is NOT accessible in May, at least not till the very end of May. Also lots of areas can be free of snow, but you will still have trouble accessing because of slides. I've hunted a lot in 9, 10 and 12. Plenty of areas open enough for glassing and plenty of bears, but again, access can be tough. So far this winter we are down on snowpack, but that could certainly change in the next 2 months. Good luck where ever you end up hunting.

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: Idaho Spring Bear Hunting [Re: 3togo] #7171414
02/06/21 02:06 PM
02/06/21 02:06 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
PM sent

Re: Idaho Spring Bear Hunting [Re: 3togo] #7171440
02/06/21 02:33 PM
02/06/21 02:33 PM
Chandler,Indiana USA
N
Netman Offline
trapper
Netman  Offline
trapper
N

Chandler,Indiana USA
Go to rokslide.com and look at the bear forum. There are several guys from Idaho that can and will give you all the information you need.
I hunted Montana last spring. I went out at the end of may. I was near the Idaho Montana border. I hunted the wilderness area looking for avalanche slides or rock slides to watch early morning and late in the day. The only slide I found was several miles in. It was okay until I had to walk out for a couple hours after dark. It was in grizzly country. I had my wife with me.
After a couple days of nothing I called my friend who lived about a hour and half away. He told me to come to his house, take a shower and get a good home cooked meal. My wife and I drove to his house and relaxed. Next morning we were up early and drove to a area he has killed several bears. It was wide open sage flats. The first thing we noticed was all the newly born antelope,mule deer and elk we seen. Being anxious I drove my buddy back home and dropped him off. My wife and I returned back to where we seen the newborn and set up camp. We spent the afternoon glassing several areas.
Next morning we were up early and hiked a mile or two off the main road. The sun was up and my wife says Hey look there’s a bear. I look and see a nice cinnamon bear thirty yards away looking at us. I dropped him dead in his tracks.
My wife said she seen antelope running wide open out this drainage. She said the bear was chasing them and then veered our way.
I believe the bear was out in the sage hunting fawns. He was a mile or so away from the nearest timber.
I shot the bear on June 1. His fur was fantastic. He’s being made into a rug.

Re: Idaho Spring Bear Hunting [Re: 3togo] #7176599
02/10/21 03:03 PM
02/10/21 03:03 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline OP
trapper
3togo  Offline OP
trapper

Henry Co, IL
Thanks guys. No decision made yet.
Netman, the fact that bears were there during fawning season makes sense. Years ago Maine discovered that black bears were the main cause of fawn mortality, not coyotes.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread