No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Hovercrafts #7175833
02/09/21 10:16 PM
02/09/21 10:16 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
I have been on them quit a few times through the years. Small 2 to 3 people capacity rated ones, but never was the operator or did I know much about maintenance or pro's or con's of one. The one thing I know for sure is you need ear plugs but will absolutely take you where no other machine will go in the worse conditions possible.

All I know is they can go anywhere and had to be aboard them during flooding and spring snow and ice conditions when no other motor operated vehicle would go except the hover craft.

Hoping there is some here that have their thoughts and experience with one.

Last edited by snowy; 02/09/21 10:43 PM.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7175895
02/09/21 11:13 PM
02/09/21 11:13 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
I was ice fishing one day and heard a God awful commotion pull up to my shanty.
Turns out it was a guy in a hovercraft who mistook my shanty for one his friend has.
I talked to him about his outfit for awhile, it looked like a lot of fun.
The biggest take away I got was you do not want to break down with one!

Zim

Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7175915
02/09/21 11:33 PM
02/09/21 11:33 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Zim, I would have to agree with you on break down. They are heavy and if broke down in a bad spot would be impossible to get it out I'm think too. I do know one thing you do need ear protection.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7176199
02/10/21 09:02 AM
02/10/21 09:02 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I've had a little bit of experience with hovercrafts. There are several here in the area and I see them out on the ice here pretty regular. I would say they are much like the airboat which I actually own one. I believe like most things they have a place in the world. The hovercraft may have a bit more advantage running dry ground than an airboat. Because it doesn't make contact with that surface no grinding or friction to over come. But out on the river running up over say a beaver (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) or small area of rough ground I feel airboat is bit better. Many years ago I road out to a dive site on ice cover lake in a hover craft. When we transitioned from open water to some rough ice the skirt hung up. It was held on by zip ties that were meant to break instead of tearing the skirt. Some those zip ties popped and it left us going in a circle with one corner of the craft down..Of course the operator had ties and fixed the skirt and we were on our way.. This skirt thing was repeated several times during the day though when they hit rough ice..The 3 airboats operating in same area that day had no issues with the rough ice. I will say running my boat on rough ice would compare to riding in a steel wheel cart on gravel road. Almost need a mouth guard, there is no suspension in a boat and it is hard ride even going slow. Hoovercraft if it ran over that same rough ice and didn't snag the skirt. I would guess would be a smooth ride no rattling you brain...High wind is an issue out on open ice for both hovercraft and airboat.
There is also the breaking down thing.. Much like a 4x4 vehicle you are often in places where only another 4x4 can come help. Add to that that if you are out remote on a lake or river. unlike a 4x4 you can't even walk out..
My boat is down right now with a fuel issue. I'm a shade tree mechanic so don't going to mess with it until the sun is out and it above freezing.. I don't know about the newer hovercarft for noise. I do know that the new airboat my brother in-law just finished building. It has engine from a 2013 Cadillac with newest style propeller. It is no louder and actually I think quieter that a lot of the mud motors..
So like many things it's what you want, what you need, what you using it for.. I don't know about hover crafts, but when I got the airboat. the guy that had put the boat together told me. It's like a motor cycle. Every time you ride it very far. Got to come home fix something. I will say that for me that has kind of held true. Always shaking something loose on the boat.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7176202
02/10/21 09:06 AM
02/10/21 09:06 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Interesting

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Hovercrafts [Re: Macthediver] #7176227
02/10/21 09:16 AM
02/10/21 09:16 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by Macthediver
I've had a little bit of experience with hovercrafts. There are several here in the area and I see them out on the ice here pretty regular. I would say they are much like the airboat which I actually own one. I believe like most things they have a place in the world. The hovercraft may have a bit more advantage running dry ground than an airboat. Because it doesn't make contact with that surface no grinding or friction to over come. But out on the river running up over say a beaver (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) or small area of rough ground I feel airboat is bit better. Many years ago I road out to a dive site on ice cover lake in a hover craft. When we transitioned from open water to some rough ice the skirt hung up. It was held on by zip ties that were meant to break instead of tearing the skirt. Some those zip ties popped and it left us going in a circle with one corner of the craft down..Of course the operator had ties and fixed the skirt and we were on our way.. This skirt thing was repeated several times during the day though when they hit rough ice..The 3 airboats operating in same area that day had no issues with the rough ice. I will say running my boat on rough ice would compare to riding in a steel wheel cart on gravel road. Almost need a mouth guard, there is no suspension in a boat and it is hard ride even going slow. Hoovercraft if it ran over that same rough ice and didn't snag the skirt. I would guess would be a smooth ride no rattling you brain...High wind is an issue out on open ice for both hovercraft and airboat.
There is also the breaking down thing.. Much like a 4x4 vehicle you are often in places where only another 4x4 can come help. Add to that that if you are out remote on a lake or river. unlike a 4x4 you can't even walk out..
My boat is down right now with a fuel issue. I'm a shade tree mechanic so don't going to mess with it until the sun is out and it above freezing.. I don't know about the newer hovercarft for noise. I do know that the new airboat my brother in-law just finished building. It has engine from a 2013 Cadillac with newest style propeller. It is no louder and actually I think quieter that a lot of the mud motors..
So like many things it's what you want, what you need, what you using it for.. I don't know about hover crafts, but when I got the airboat. the guy that had put the boat together told me. It's like a motor cycle. Every time you ride it very far. Got to come home fix something. I will say that for me that has kind of held true. Always shaking something loose on the boat.

Mac

That was a great over all review and thanks for your experience. I can vouch for the zip tie issue the times I have been aboard them. Real rough terrain that is a problem can be corrected easily enough but that skirt needs that break away.

Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7176309
02/10/21 10:58 AM
02/10/21 10:58 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Unless driving over sand or absolutely clean terrain, I’d choose an airboat over hovercraft every single time.

Aluminum hull airboats with a liner and soap sprayers can go through some nasty places and over debris without worrying about tearing the liner. Even with hurricane debris, nails, branches, etc, we are able to operate safely. I’d never try to go over the things we do everyday with a hovercraft. No way.

Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7176330
02/10/21 11:13 AM
02/10/21 11:13 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Our fire department has had one for years. Can not be used on large bodies of water in the winter or in frizzing conations. Spray can build up on fan guard and go into the fan. They are starting to use Air Boats, not the type used in the swamps. You can run off ice right into water with no problem. Much more stable and easier to get around with. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7176351
02/10/21 11:34 AM
02/10/21 11:34 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
So the air boats can travel for miles on dry ground with no issues, right? From ice to water to land to snow pack in long distances without any navigation issues, is what you are telling me, right.

One issue is the maintence on as air boat that does so much land traveling is very hard on the unit, is that true also?

Last edited by snowy; 02/10/21 11:39 AM.

Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7176366
02/10/21 11:48 AM
02/10/21 11:48 AM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
My concern about hovercrafts was always the breaking down. I've had my outboard motor quit on me before and my boat still floated.

I have a friend with an air boat. He owns property on the banks of a salt marsh and his house is probably 300 yds from the water. He can drive it out of his garage, across the driveway, across the field, across the marsh grass, and onto the water. I think he could run it right through a corn field in August with no problems. But it's loud - really, really loud.

-Ryan
Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7178199
02/11/21 05:12 PM
02/11/21 05:12 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by snowy
So the air boats can travel for miles on dry ground with no issues, right? From ice to water to land to snow pack in long distances without any navigation issues, is what you are telling me, right.

One issue is the maintence on as air boat that does so much land traveling is very hard on the unit, is that true also?

It depends on what type of vegetation and ground you’re running over. Ground that has been burned or certain sticky soil types are certainly harder on the equipment because you’re running much higher RPMS, but if it has scattered puddles that allow you to get a brief rocket momentum, it’s a piece of cake with soap sprayers. If it’s something like a massive deer pea patch or Bamboo thicket, it’s going to be problematic due to the vegetation being sticky/grabby and the tall vegetation blocking air flow to the prop.

It all comes down to the rarely helpful answer of “it depends”.

Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7178300
02/11/21 06:43 PM
02/11/21 06:43 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK

I've got a friend in Tanana that has two. The second one is to recover the one that breaks down and all the people aboard.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Hovercrafts [Re: snowy] #7178331
02/11/21 07:11 PM
02/11/21 07:11 PM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
How I look at it. If the machine brakes down, it can’t be moved, or you will tare the skirt or brake something else. A boat are anything else, you can drag it to a place where you can work on it. Am I right, or am I looking at it the wrong way?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread