No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
texans got trouble #7188881
02/19/21 07:01 AM
02/19/21 07:01 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
https://www.oann.com/texas-faces-food-water-shortages-amid-winter-storm-power-outages/

Could this happen nation wide for something other than weather? How much food should a person have? I am leery of buying one of those dehydrated food packages in a plastic tote. Claims of a two week supply in a 3 gallon bucket are a little hard to believe. So what should a person be squirreling away and how much?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188887
02/19/21 07:10 AM
02/19/21 07:10 AM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Dehydrate everything and vac seal it. Whole meals just like they want to sell you. Mine taste better too.
Distilled water, the purer the water the lower temps it takes to freeze.
Cans don't do so well below 0.
And AMMO

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188934
02/19/21 08:28 AM
02/19/21 08:28 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia

That's just not correct. Look up "freezing point depression." Freezing-point depression is what causes sea water, (a mixture of salt and other compounds in water), to remain liquid at temperatures below 0 °C (32 °F), the freezing point of pure water.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: EdP] #7188943
02/19/21 08:36 AM
02/19/21 08:36 AM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Originally Posted by EdP

That's just not correct. Look up "freezing point depression." Freezing-point depression is what causes sea water, (a mixture of salt and other compounds in water), to remain liquid at temperatures below 0 °C (32 °F), the freezing point of pure water.

He said distill it, you know turn water in to liqueur. laugh

Re: texans got trouble [Re: EdP] #7188945
02/19/21 08:42 AM
02/19/21 08:42 AM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Originally Posted by EdP

I'm no scientist but I can leave a gallon of good distilled water outside and it will not freeze, even at 10 degrees.
Don't care what science says, I know what works for me.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188948
02/19/21 08:48 AM
02/19/21 08:48 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Why don't you try that distilled water in your vehicle radiator since it won't freeze.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188953
02/19/21 08:52 AM
02/19/21 08:52 AM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
Originally Posted by danny clifton
https://www.oann.com/texas-faces-food-water-shortages-amid-winter-storm-power-outages/

Could this happen nation wide for something other than weather? How much food should a person have? I am leery of buying one of those dehydrated food packages in a plastic tote. Claims of a two week supply in a 3 gallon bucket are a little hard to believe. So what should a person be squirreling away and how much?

as much food as you can stuff in your carry on before jumping a plane to cancun

[Linked Image]

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188955
02/19/21 08:56 AM
02/19/21 08:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
How do you dehydrate meals in a home dehydrator? I just had bacon eggs and hashbrowns for breakfast. Are you cooking the eggs first? I can see dehydrating bacon or maybe thin sliced potatoes. Not sure how tasty they would be after rehydration. I have a pretty good machine. I make jerky with it.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188956
02/19/21 09:03 AM
02/19/21 09:03 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Why do cans not do so well? I'm purdy happy to have mine when something goes "north"

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188960
02/19/21 09:07 AM
02/19/21 09:07 AM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Originally Posted by danny clifton
How do you dehydrate meals in a home dehydrator? I just had bacon eggs and hashbrowns for breakfast. Are you cooking the eggs first? I can see dehydrating bacon or maybe thin sliced potatoes. Not sure how tasty they would be after rehydration. I have a pretty good machine. I make jerky with it.

Lay waxpaper on the tray before placing the food on it. I've done soups, Chile and about anything you call food.
Just add water when you open the vac sealed food.
I have a large Excalibur dehydrator. The sq. one.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188962
02/19/21 09:08 AM
02/19/21 09:08 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

You are very correct today DC.

If you are a plumber, you'd have work in Texas for the next decade.

We are about to start thawing out and when that happens, the 2nd biggest state will suck up every piece of construction material in this nation and more.
People think it's the cold and what are they worried about? It's the infrastructure pure and simple.
I don't know anyone around us hasn't had bursting water mains, and water is not your friend when it rains inside.

Already the political speak begins and folks are sharpening their own fingers to point.

From leader Beto;
“The energy capital of North America cannot provide enough energy to warm and power people’s homes. We are nearing a failed state in Texas. And it has nothing to do with God or natural disasters. It has everything to do with those in positions of public trust who have failed us.”

Wonderful.

They have identified the cause according to all the news sources we have here.
Climate change.

As I often pray and invite others to do the same;
Lord help us. Maranatha.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: texans got trouble [Re: Leftlane] #7188963
02/19/21 09:10 AM
02/19/21 09:10 AM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Why do cans not do so well? I'm purdy happy to have mine when something goes "north"

Freeze. And my dehydrated food weights less, and takes up less.
Not much comes out of a can that I like anywho.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: wetdog] #7188974
02/19/21 09:26 AM
02/19/21 09:26 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by wetdog

Freeze. And my dehydrated food weights less, and takes up less.
Not much comes out of a can that I like anywho.

Too many ways to keep my place warm even if the gubernment sponsored monopoly of a utility co isn't smart enough to keep electricity available.

I suppose father north this would be a bigger concern

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188975
02/19/21 09:27 AM
02/19/21 09:27 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Any difference with deyhdrators with solid or clear doors? Solid doors are all cheaper. Seems a convienence to be able to see into the unit while it is working other then that?

$50 or more cheaper on avg. on some models. I have a very old round one from the 80's. Not used in many years. Time to up grade and get some homemade MRE's put away.

I bought some of those emergency dehydrated food buckets a couple of years back. 25 year shelf life stated on the bucket. Got a couple big cans of scrambled eggs with veggies dried out. Been eating some of that off and on for a month. Not too bad tasting, it is filling. Just add hot water and let things soak, stir a few times and cover. Pour off excess water. Still have a few buckets just in case.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188981
02/19/21 09:37 AM
02/19/21 09:37 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
All the prepper/survivalist sensationalism the last few years sort of cracks me up.

In my family being prepared is just common sense. My parents have a basement full of preserves. Everything you can imagine is jarred/canned and lasts years with no refrigeration required. There is probably enough down there to feed a family of four for months. They add to it every fall.

My collection of canned goods isn't as big but it's getting there. I have a wood stove for heat and cooking. I have a gas cook stove that has pilot lights, no electricity needed (the oven on modern gas stoves won't stay lit without electricity to operate the electronic igniters). I have a spring on the property for fresh water. I have a flock of chickens for fresh eggs and meat.

So there you have it. I have the means to keep myself and my family warm, dry. well-fed and watered and I don't need electricity for any of it.

Generations of my family have lived the same way. We call it common sense.

Preppers...LOL.

I would also add that I have the means and the willingness to protect all that from anyone who thinks they might want to take it from me.

Eh...wot?

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188992
02/19/21 09:46 AM
02/19/21 09:46 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Lugnut I love watchin those prepper shows where some city geek buys a few acres and then shows everyone what he has and where he keeps it.

Somewhere there is a Johnny Sneakum type thinkin well now I know where I will go when I run out of anything

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7188998
02/19/21 09:51 AM
02/19/21 09:51 AM
Province of Ontario, Canada
H
Hunter 1 Offline
trapper
Hunter 1  Offline
trapper
H

Province of Ontario, Canada
The cold and shortage of hydro are two big things. However, one big problem people in Texas may be facing in addition to cost of repairs (replacement of water pipes...) is mold contamination resulting from water damage. ...this is a major issue which will not be easy to address. A contaminated house will have little value not mentioning the fact that mold is a major health hazard.

Not sure what insurance coverage most people in Texas have but I am thinking insurance companies may not cover this type of loss...very concerning.

Hope you guys get some kind of assistance from Government.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: Leftlane] #7189006
02/19/21 09:59 AM
02/19/21 09:59 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

When canned goods freeze,,it can make the can expand and breaks the seal.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189008
02/19/21 10:00 AM
02/19/21 10:00 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Hunter 1 getting mold out of a house isn't rocket science but a lot of people try to save money which is dumb. I get them money to do repairs right and they hire an uncle who can't even read English.

The even dumber thing is to by an cheapo policy that doesn't cover much. I rarely work for companies that write DP-1 or other ACV policies. I work for the farmers mutual companies who sell good policies and expect me to get their insureds enough money to fix it right the first time.

Fema will come in and throw your money around for all the folks who didn't plan well. Happens every storm

Re: texans got trouble [Re: Leftlane] #7189010
02/19/21 10:04 AM
02/19/21 10:04 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Hunter 1 getting mold out of a house isn't rocket science but a lot of people try to save money which is dumb. I get them money to do repairs right and they hire an uncle who can't even read English.

The even dumber thing is to by an cheapo policy that doesn't cover much. I rarely work for companies that write DP-1 or other ACV policies. I work for the farmers mutual companies who sell good policies and expect me to get their insureds enough money to fix it right the first time.

Fema will come in and throw your money around for all the folks who didn't plan well. Happens every storm

Saw your Comissioner of Agriculture on TV last night.He thinks some heads should roll over this mess,,starting with your Governor.Also said the out of the four head people in charge of your electric grid,,none of them live in Texas,,and two of them don't even live in the United States. mad

Last edited by upstateNY; 02/19/21 10:05 AM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread