No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? #7188751
02/18/21 11:26 PM
02/18/21 11:26 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the farm I trap at called me up today the vet was out and had diagnosed a cow as Jonhes and told them if you have someone who can put it down and put it to use , it is safe to eat

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/animal-...les-documents/johnes-disease-in-cattle-1

the vet stopped back once I had it gutted and we were looking through the intestines , he is quite sure based on the enlarged lymph-nodes all through the small intestine.
he will have the blood test back soon also.

figuring the fat is about nill I am thinking pull the tenderloins and grind the rest

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/18/21 11:28 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7188757
02/18/21 11:32 PM
02/18/21 11:32 PM
Michigan
M
Michigander Online content
trapper
Michigander  Online Content
trapper
M

Michigan
Hard pass from me. It doesn't sound like a very pleasant disease for me or my family to possibly contract.

Last edited by Michigander; 02/18/21 11:32 PM.

Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7188765
02/18/21 11:41 PM
02/18/21 11:41 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
from what the vet said you potentially drink milk from Johnes cows all the time , because dairy live much longer than beef it is much more common in dairy.

stress like calving the animal gets weak and the bacterium takes hold inflaming the intestinal tissue.

beef don't normally get old enough to have a stressing event to have it take hold , I wonder if the cold maybe accelerated it. had this one made it to spring it would have gone to the regular butcher.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7188773
02/18/21 11:49 PM
02/18/21 11:49 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I eat bangers and downers if I know the reason they are down. That is as brave as I git

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7188911
02/19/21 07:47 AM
02/19/21 07:47 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
There are many, many, cattle out there with Johnes disease. We've all eaten them, and always will. Most don't show any symptoms until the end, but they contracts it years before, usually as a calf if I'm not mistaken. It's more common in dairies because most beef cattle are born in pastures, dairy cattle spend much of their time in the facilities. And once Johnes bacterium is presents it's very hard to get rid of.

And like most other cattle ailments, it is in no way dangerous to humans.

Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: M.Magis] #7189280
02/19/21 01:45 PM
02/19/21 01:45 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Most times it is transmitted while on milk as calves, so rigid control of colostrum, milk fed to calves(pasteurized milk) and milk replacer is key Calves suckling teats with manure on them is the most likely cause. Which is why calves are isolated quickly and not allowed to drink and are fed full feeds of colostrum via bottles or tubes.. Most dairy farms now do Johne's testing and there is a sliding scale. Milk from infected cows that show no sign is not fed to calves, even the colostrum milk. Many store frozen colostrum from negative test cows or feed colostrum replacements. Most signs won't show up until 2nd or later calving or about 4-5 years old. If the infection dose is heavy when calves it can show signs earlier. As to eating the meat, that is being done and has been done for decades. Many cows are culled for meat while infected but not shedding or showing signs. Most farms now don't have severe cases now as cows are culled earlier and the very sick cows shed a lot of the bacterium and they don't want that. The bacterium is related to TB and also Crohn's disease. This and other reasons are why it is recommended to pasteurize the milk we drink and use for food.

Bryce

Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7189497
02/19/21 06:12 PM
02/19/21 06:12 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
thanks

that is about what the vet said

it hung gutted over night by the forks of the tractor to chill I am headed out to get it after work

my plan is to bring it home on my trailer and work on it a 1/4 at a time

Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7189588
02/19/21 07:58 PM
02/19/21 07:58 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Yep medium rare

Let me sugar coat this
Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7189993
02/20/21 12:44 AM
02/20/21 12:44 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the wife decided I was not leaving it in the driveway on the trailer over night so I got out to the farm and starred skinning I expected it to be froze hard but the hide came off fairly easily

I used the sawzall with a fresh blade to 1/4 I actually have more than 4 parts and any larger parts would have been to heavy to get hung

I hadn't shoveled my trailer after the last snow so I had fresh clean snow , I laid the skinned 1/4s on the trailer then when I got home hung them all in the garage.

Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7190101
02/20/21 07:19 AM
02/20/21 07:19 AM
Valders, WI
Alex the dog Offline
trapper
Alex the dog  Offline
trapper

Valders, WI
Nice that the farmer offers it to you to start with. I wouldn’t hesitate a bit to consume it.

Dave

Forever in debt to my Father who introduced me to trapping.
May I be half the man he was.
Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: Alex the dog] #7190333
02/20/21 12:20 PM
02/20/21 12:20 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Alex the dog
Nice that the farmer offers it to you to start with. I wouldn’t hesitate a bit to consume it.

Dave

the vet asked him first if he had any butcher slots the next week .

he did not so the vet said then I won't do anything to try and make it better , just get your guy out to put it down.

it sounds like the blood test is 12 dollars + vet time to draw blood

it's a good relationship , I do all of the tree cutting on the farm that won't fall on a power line and I trap whenever he has a predator problem mostly raccoons with the chickens and turkeys that are the issue.

for skinning in the cold , I have used cheap cotton gloves under nitrile disposables before. last night I used rag wool under nitrile it was very comfortable skinning at 5 degrees.

Re: anyone butchered a Johne's disease cow? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7190340
02/20/21 12:27 PM
02/20/21 12:27 PM
Mn
W
Whopper Stopper Offline
trapper
Whopper Stopper  Offline
trapper
W

Mn
Growing up on a farm I am sure we were fed a lot worse.

WS

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread