No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204140
03/04/21 10:35 AM
03/04/21 10:35 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Wrong tree Kirk!!

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7204144
03/04/21 10:38 AM
03/04/21 10:38 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Redknot
I believe Joe's first mistake on this post was referring to NYS DEC ECO's as Game Wardens - they are not. They are Environmental Conservation Officers and most of the decals on their vehicles say Environmental Police.

To one of Swamp's questions, yes they are DEC Staff. While Swamp has written some interesting comments on this post, I doubt he'd last ten minutes up here...That is not meant as a derogatory statement towards him (Swamp)......

Could you explain why you think this old veteran Ga game warden couldnt last min in your state?

PS. I dont know anything about snow. But tracks seem to be easy to follow.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204152
03/04/21 10:48 AM
03/04/21 10:48 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Why any LEO would handle money or other property without a paper trail and a video on their body cam, is beyond me.

This happened 25 years ago. No LEOs in SD had body cams then. The sheriff might have given a receipt, I can't remember. All I know is that $100 was transferred in the field from the guilty to the LAW.

Here's another example of trying to find a "gotcha" reason for citing someone. I had a friend of mine that grew up in Yankton County, SD. There's one of the main steam Missouri River dams and resovoirs in that county. My friend was a bit wild growing up and had run in with the CO several times where my friend was in the wrong so the CO had his eye on my friend and constantly was checking him out. One new year, my friend and his buds were ice fishing out on the reservoir and the CO came out and checked them for licenses. Fair enough, the reason we buy fishing and game licenses is to help maintain and even possibly improve the resources. I believe in licenses, everybody should have skin in the game. The CO checked "Jeff" the first time on Jan 1, but then again checked him twice more within that first week of January. Now, the CO knew Jeff was licensed to fish on Jan 1 but SD "law" says that angler (or hunter) needs to have said license on them while doing that activity--probably the original intent was that most first wildlife law contacts is to establish a person is licensed. But the "law" doesn't say that, it says it needs to be on a person while doing that activity. So, if Jeff would have forgotten his wallet one day and didn't have his license while ice fishing and Mr. CO stopped him, the CO would have cited him, even though that citation served no real purpose besides a "gotcha" fine.

Jeff drove an old mid-to-early '60s car at that point. The same CO stopped them on a gravel township road one time when the pheasant season was happening and I think either made them take out the back seat or they tried taking out the back seat to see if they had any game birds stuffed in there. I know the CO took of the top of the air cleaner on top of the engine to see if something was stashed in there. I would have busted a gut laughing at that one. First of all, even if a pheasant could have been crammed into the air cleaner, that old car would have died fairly shortly driving down the road because it would be dam hard to get any air for the engine!! I doubt even a partridge stuffed in there wouldn't have made the old engine sputter. Anyway, that was the mentality of that CO. I think the meetings between the CO and Jeff finally ended when one or the other moved out of that county...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204155
03/04/21 10:52 AM
03/04/21 10:52 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
You might last the first minute, it's the subsequent nine that are in question! But don't take it personally, no Game Warden could do it...

Does your DNR (or analogous) have a Commissioner, Deputy Commissioners, Executive staff? Do they (Executive Staff) suggest to you when and which laws you should act on or ignore??

How are you at cleaning subway cars??

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Canvasback2] #7204160
03/04/21 10:59 AM
03/04/21 10:59 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Don't know if this has been updated yet, but this is what we have in NY:

OGC 7: Staff Access to Property or Premises

If faced with what they believe is an emergency, staff should first contact the appropriate Environmental Conservation Officer or the police, and immediately consult with their Central Office or Regional program attorney.

This ^^^^ is what I was referring to when I asked about the difference between "DEC staff" and NY's ECOs. According to Redknot, an ECO is considered DEC staff and therefore must contact another ECO when circumstances require warrantless entry onto private property.
(This is what Camvasback posted last night but Redknot has refuted. Please explain if you're in the know.

To gather info about hiring procedures and officer retention, I recently conducted phone interviews with officers from more than 20 state's wildlife agencies, with NY being one of them. From what I was told NY ECOs ARE New York's GAME WARDENS.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204161
03/04/21 11:00 AM
03/04/21 11:00 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
PA used to have what I think were called "Field Citations". Basically it was a citation for a minor infraction that you would pay directly to the WCO. I got one in the 80's for riding an ATV on National Forest Land. Basically it amounted to a warning that you paid for. The WCO told me if he wanted to he could've confiscated the ATV and fined me pretty heavy, but since I stopped real quick, and didn't try to argue with him he gave me the "Field Citation".

I have a friend the used to be a deputy fish WCO. I watched him on multiple occasions give out "field citations". Mostly for people throwing cigarettes down.

Jack lighting, poaching, and other more "serious" violations always got you a fine and a court date.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7204169
03/04/21 11:07 AM
03/04/21 11:07 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

You might last the first minute, it's the subsequent nine that are in question! But don't take it personally, no Game Warden could do it...

Does your DNR (or analogous) have a Commissioner, Deputy Commissioners, Executive staff? Do they (Executive Staff) suggest to you when and which laws you should act on or ignore??

How are you at cleaning subway cars??

Yes...on the Commissioner, Deputy Commish, and a governor-appointed board. They set the Dept's direction, sometimes its political, sometimes not so much. Here in Ga, GWs do a lot of things that are not related to wildlife or boating, or environmental enforcement. For example, we provided extra manpower at civil unrest incidents last year all over Ga. Our officers were injured in Atlanta during some of that. I was deployed to more than a half dozen cities during this but no violence encountered. The total number of hours that we have transported vaccines and med supplies in the past year is incredible. And now we are providing security at vaccine sites.

I would last at least 11 min in NY...guarantee ya!

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/04/21 11:09 AM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204176
03/04/21 11:12 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Swamp, you did not answer the part about ignoring Environmental Conservation Laws and regulations...

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204177
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
Swamp, Are you allowed to enforce the traffic code?

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: whartonrattrappe] #7204181
03/04/21 11:16 AM
03/04/21 11:16 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by whartonrattrappe
Here's a story about the officer,

The officer started this inquiry the same as he did with Joe. He then spent 5 hours following the trapper and checking his traps and sets.

In the end when he couldn't find a violation with the trappers traps or sets, he wrote him a ticket for having an invalid registration on his truck,

The reason, the trapper had done some work on the rusted parts of the truck and primed the bottom third of the truck, the registration should have said two tone Blue/Grey not Blue.

Again the officer had a valid reason to ticket the offender, but this shows his character.

Ii call BS registration tickets arent written based on color of vehicles anywhere thqt im aware of. Ill bet his plates didnt match his VIN.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: NonPCfed] #7204183
03/04/21 11:18 AM
03/04/21 11:18 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Why any LEO would handle money or other property without a paper trail and a video on their body cam, is beyond me.

This happened 25 years ago. No LEOs in SD had body cams then. The sheriff might have given a receipt, I can't remember. All I know is that $100 was transferred in the field from the guilty to the LAW.

Here's another example of trying to find a "gotcha" reason for citing someone. I had a friend of mine that grew up in Yankton County, SD. There's one of the main steam Missouri River dams and resovoirs in that county. My friend was a bit wild growing up and had run in with the CO several times where my friend was in the wrong so the CO had his eye on my friend and constantly was checking him out. One new year, my friend and his buds were ice fishing out on the reservoir and the CO came out and checked them for licenses. Fair enough, the reason we buy fishing and game licenses is to help maintain and even possibly improve the resources. I believe in licenses, everybody should have skin in the game. The CO checked "Jeff" the first time on Jan 1, but then again checked him twice more within that first week of January. Now, the CO knew Jeff was licensed to fish on Jan 1 but SD "law" says that angler (or hunter) needs to have said license on them while doing that activity--probably the original intent was that most first wildlife law contacts is to establish a person is licensed. But the "law" doesn't say that, it says it needs to be on a person while doing that activity. So, if Jeff would have forgotten his wallet one day and didn't have his license while ice fishing and Mr. CO stopped him, the CO would have cited him, even though that citation served no real purpose besides a "gotcha" fine.

Jeff drove an old mid-to-early '60s car at that point. The same CO stopped them on a gravel township road one time when the pheasant season was happening and I think either made them take out the back seat or they tried taking out the back seat to see if they had any game birds stuffed in there. I know the CO took of the top of the air cleaner on top of the engine to see if something was stashed in there. I would have busted a gut laughing at that one. First of all, even if a pheasant could have been crammed into the air cleaner, that old car would have died fairly shortly driving down the road because it would be dam hard to get any air for the engine!! I doubt even a partridge stuffed in there wouldn't have made the old engine sputter. Anyway, that was the mentality of that CO. I think the meetings between the CO and Jeff finally ended when one or the other moved out of that county...

Ive seen 2 deer under the hood lying on top of engine of a older model pickup truck. Wouldnt have suspected that if I didnt see blood dripping. Have watched a dove hunter go back to his truck and put a limit of doves in his hubcaps. One of my officer observed a driver at a traffic checkpoint drop a bag of meth thru the open space at the gear shift and onto the highway. He saw the bag fall from the vehicle's underside...just happened ro be at right distance and looking that way.

I could write a book about all this stuff over the years.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: elkaholic] #7204189
03/04/21 11:23 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by elkaholic
Swamp, Are you allowed to enforce the traffic code?

Yes, but we have policy that dicates when.

In Ga: 1) when the traffic violation is a public safety threat, 2) when the traffic violation is discovered while we are performing our assigned duties, such as a DUI driver on a night deer hunting stop, 3) when the traffic violation occurs on state owned or controlled property.

We do not have/use speed detection devices.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7204190
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
Ohio brought more coyotes in from Texas. They was tired of all the complaints they was getting from the insurance companies about the premiums they was paying out. I saw a bull hauler at a truck stop in mid Ohio. I spoke to the truck driver myself. He said he delivers them regularly around the state. Why not have longer hunting season or allow a larger bag limit. I saw seven coyotes the other day in my buddies pasture stalking his calf’s. I got one before the rest got out of range. It’s going to be a problem now for farmers that there isn’t any deer to eat.

Please cite your source. I highly doubt any coyotes are being brought in by Ohio fish and game to thin out deer. Ohio makes a lot, and I mean a lot of money bringing out-of-state trophy hunters in to hunt their deer. They arent going to jeopardize their deer herd. I get the feeling youll believe anything you hear.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: midlander] #7204198
03/04/21 11:29 AM
03/04/21 11:29 AM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by midlander
Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
Ohio brought more coyotes in from Texas. They was tired of all the complaints they was getting from the insurance companies about the premiums they was paying out. I saw a bull hauler at a truck stop in mid Ohio. I spoke to the truck driver myself. He said he delivers them regularly around the state. Why not have longer hunting season or allow a larger bag limit. I saw seven coyotes the other day in my buddies pasture stalking his calf’s. I got one before the rest got out of range. It’s going to be a problem now for farmers that there isn’t any deer to eat.

Please cite your source. I highly doubt any coyotes are being brought in by Ohio fish and game to thin out deer. Ohio makes a lot, and I mean a lot of money bringing out-of-state trophy hunters in to hunt their deer. They arent going to jeopardize their deer herd. I get the feeling youll believe anything you hear.

I think that truck driver was pulling his leg... That rumor has been going around Delaware also, the DNR brought in coyotes to control the deer population. Never happened, but doesn't stop that from being spread around.

LOL

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7204204
03/04/21 11:34 AM
03/04/21 11:34 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Swamp, you did not answer the part about ignoring Environmental Conservation Laws and regulations...

My apologies. Ive been typing with my fat thumbs on my phone and trying to respond to all this. I missed that...

Here in Ga, there have been a handful of incidents where politics reared its ugly head. Our officers had issued citations and were questioned about them when they did nothing outside of policy or law.This causes some animosity among our guys, no doubt, but this doesnt occur enough in our agency to be of much concern. I tell my officers to do your job, by policy and the law. I'll handle the politics. I'm a field supervisor and I try to shield my guys from that nonsense. Have done a fair job of it for past 15 years of my 25 + year cateer.

Politics is always hanging in the shadows of EVERY LE agency. Top level management catches he$$ all the time trying to divert this.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7204205
03/04/21 11:36 AM
03/04/21 11:36 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY

You must have missed this Swamp...

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204210
03/04/21 11:41 AM
03/04/21 11:41 AM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Redknot is correct, sometime back in New York they went from game wardens to "Environmental conservation officers". Now, besides enforcing fish and game laws they also chase speeders on the Northway and look for phosphates in super markets. Even the forest rangers carry guns these days.
I can not justify breaking the law, even when there are some bad ones.New York has some bad trapping seasons brought about by a couple of arrogant, know it all biologists, but we must obey them until we can get them changed. If there were no game protectors the violators would run amuck.Most regs are there for good reason.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7204218
03/04/21 11:50 AM
03/04/21 11:50 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

You must have missed this Swamp...

Did my post not show up? Its right above your's...

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Fisher Man] #7204230
03/04/21 11:58 AM
03/04/21 11:58 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
Redknot is correct, sometime back in New York they went from game wardens to "Environmental conservation officers". Now, besides enforcing fish and game laws they also chase speeders on the Northway and look for phosphates in super markets. Even the forest rangers carry guns these days.
I can not justify breaking the law, even when there are some bad ones.New York has some bad trapping seasons brought about by a couple of arrogant, know it all biologists, but we must obey them until we can get them changed. If there were no game protectors the violators would run amuck.Most regs are there for good reason.

I respect your reply and thankyou for seeing the big pic.

Nearly every wildlife agency has undergone changes over the last decade. Many name changes and many having to take on other responsibilities to retain funding. It sux for the wildlife and the sportsman as there is less time dedicated to what we really care about. But all those agencies are at the mercy of a state budget office and legislature. Here in Ga DNR, we used to be called the Game & Fish Divison. Then it was changed to Wildlife Resources Division. Recently, LE was pulled out of that division and became the Law Emforcement Division of DNR.

There are several state wildlife agencies that are struggling to maintain their seat at the table.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204231
03/04/21 12:00 PM
03/04/21 12:00 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Sorry Swamp, Yes I see your response above mine now...Yes, I guess you could make it eleven minutes, and nice to know you're are shielding your officers from the nonsense!!!

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread