No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7208835
03/08/21 08:49 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
You have missed 12.5% of your payments on your car. This will kill your credit score. No one wants to loan money and then not get paid. It shows your word is not much good if you agree to pay something and you don't do it. They do not care why you missed it. They just care that you did not make it. Sorry if that sounds rough but you asked and it is the truth. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Trappercass] #7208836
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by Trappercass
Gary-

I don’t know if everyone does but capital one and Wells Fargo both send me monthly notifications that you can view your fico credit score

I have the Capital One with Cabelas. Maybe it's on my monthly statement. I'll have to czech.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: EdP] #7208844
03/08/21 08:52 AM
03/08/21 08:52 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by EdP
X100 your family gave you the best advice on here....you dont need credit cards

I think there are some times that you do need a CC. For example, try to rent a car without one. You can't. Besides those few cases where you really do need one, a CC is a huge convenience that saves both time and money. My card pays me back a minimum 1.5% on every purchase. No points or airline miles, it automatically applies against my bill. That means I pay less for things than people that pay cash. At the gas station I am in and out faster because I use a card. That saves me time. Try to make on line purchases without a CC. If you can it will be with a significant delay as they wait for you check to arrive and clear. It all adds up over the years.

With the benefits established, it must be realized that some people are better off without CCs because they can't exercise the discipline to control their spending and pay off the card on time every month.

I agree with Ed P here. In today's world you need good credit, whether you owe money or not and credit cards are handy. You can not reserve a hotel room without one. I pay them off every month as well.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7208866
03/08/21 09:00 AM
03/08/21 09:00 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
I can do all these things with my debit card and I do not pay annual fees. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: LLtrapper] #7208873
03/08/21 09:03 AM
03/08/21 09:03 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by LLtrapper

Not all credit cards have yearly fees and actually my cards MAKE me money in points as I never carry a balance in the 20 yrs Ive had them and built me an 827 credit score.

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Gary Benson] #7208879
03/08/21 09:06 AM
03/08/21 09:06 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Is there a place a person can find what his credit score? I figure the less credit I have the better. I hate owing anybody anything. Several years ago it was over 800.

You dont really owe anybody if you pay it off monthly,in fact it works in your favor. You can do a free credit check once a yr just ask it on the net. I check my credit constantly in my bank acct online. If you have capitol one they have a free credit check on your credit card. I have 2 capitol one cards. They are the least beneficial to me.

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: west river rogue] #7208881
03/08/21 09:08 AM
03/08/21 09:08 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by west river rogue

Not all credit cards have yearly fees and actually my cards MAKE me money in points as I never carry a balance in the 20 yrs Ive had them and built me an 827 credit score.

Credit cards can be harmful to someone like the OP. He does not make all his payments and to say you can build your credit to someone like this is possibly poor advice. I have a credit card also and have a 840 as well as my wife . We can handle credit. Some cannot. That was my point. LLL

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7208883
03/08/21 09:09 AM
03/08/21 09:09 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Wolfie,go to your bank where you do business and tell them you want a credit card and they can set you up. When you recieve a low limit card and use it,and pay it ON TIME,after awhile you can get higher limits. I can buy a car with c.c. but most dealers dont like to do it.

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7208886
03/08/21 09:11 AM
03/08/21 09:11 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by west river rogue
[quote=LLtrapper]I can do all these things with my debit card and I do not pay annual fees. LLL

agreed,,sounds like wolfie cant use one responsibly,,many cant,many can. Credit cards allow you to use opm as long as you pay them off monthly. In the 21 yrs Ive had them I have NEVER paid any interest.

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7208948
03/08/21 10:12 AM
03/08/21 10:12 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
X2 on all above.
Wolf dog, sign up for credit karma they will show you what you can do to increase your score and they will show you what cc you qualify for. That missed payment will be on your report for 7 years after the loan is paid off.
Keep in mind every hard credit check will drop your score. Wait at least 6 months between credit checks. Too many in a short time will pop a red flag too.

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7208975
03/08/21 10:41 AM
03/08/21 10:41 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by elkantlers
Not good at all. Pay your bills and DO NOT miss a payment. If You are missing payments you have a vehicle that you can't afford. If That's the case, you need to sell the vehicle and get one that you can afford.

Also, You need to pay your credit card off every month. It is absolutely stupid to pay interest on a credit card. If you can't afford to pay your card off each month you are spending too much money and need to STOP. If you can't afford to pay the credit card off each month you certainly can't afford to pay Interest.

I have had a credit card for over 20 years and have never paid one cent in interest, Not one! If I can't pay for it I don't buy it, plain and simple.

Too many people live beyond their means and buy Crap they don't need.

Sorry to be blunt, but you are not in a good spot.

No it's fine. Dint think missing one payment would hurt me so bad. Honestly it wasn't me not being able to afford it , that $250 is budgeted out the last pay check if each month. I hadn't received my bill in the mail and when I asked everyone just old me some bull about holidays, thank God I called and they said it was their fault something about a glitch in the system, long story short I went digital. Was my fault should have been on it more but tryin to do better.

And I understand completely about the people trying to live beyond their means , one reason I'm really trying to tip toe into this whole credit thing.

every , well almost every card is 0% interest if you pay your bill every month. they bank on you not paying every month.

your family is smart to be weary of credit or people offering it.

do you have a bank or credit union you might try and find a credit union , if there are non local or even if there are , look for a Army or US service personnel credit union , start an account put some money in checking and ask about a credit card.

when I was 19 my dad said you want to build credit and we went and visited my aunt at the bank set up a separate saving put 500 in it and then asked for a 500 dollar credit limit on a credit card they gave it too me no risk to them they had my cash as deposit. I had started a job that involved travel once I graduated I needed a card to put hotels and such on if I got stuck some place. 500 wasn't much but it started turning into a lot of other offers after not very long.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: EdP] #7208983
03/08/21 10:46 AM
03/08/21 10:46 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by EdP
X100 your family gave you the best advice on here....you dont need credit cards

I think there are some times that you do need a CC. For example, try to rent a car without one. You can't. Besides those few cases where you really do need one, a CC is a huge convenience that saves both time and money. My card pays me back a minimum 1.5% on every purchase. No points or airline miles, it automatically applies against my bill. That means I pay less for things than people that pay cash. At the gas station I am in and out faster because I use a card. That saves me time. Try to make on line purchases without a CC. If you can it will be with a significant delay as they wait for you check to arrive and clear. It all adds up over the years.

With the benefits established, it must be realized that some people are better off without CCs because they can't exercise the discipline to control their spending and pay off the card on time every month.

Ed, you may have been correct 10 years ago, but not anymore. You can get a rental car with debit cards, you can reserve hotel rooms with debit cards and the list goes on. You also have the same consumer protections. Of course, credit card companies would still like everyone to believe you cant get by without their cards...they want people to spend more than they can afford. Wolfie, family knows best, get rid of that card and pay cash.

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7209120
03/08/21 12:40 PM
03/08/21 12:40 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Well everyone gotta say as much as I'd like to just pay cash for everything and not worry about credit ,I'm learning in n alot if various ways the wood dosent wanna work like that anymore. The fact I have the cash in hand doesn't seem to matter more and more . Anyhow thanks for all the responses

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7209127
03/08/21 12:44 PM
03/08/21 12:44 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi

every , well almost every card is 0% interest if you pay your bill every month. they bank on you not paying every month.

your family is smart to be weary of credit or people offering it.

do you have a bank or credit union you might try and find a credit union , if there are non local or even if there are , look for a Army or US service personnel credit union , start an account put some money in checking and ask about a credit card.

when I was 19 my dad said you want to build credit and we went and visited my aunt at the bank set up a separate saving put 500 in it and then asked for a 500 dollar credit limit on a credit card they gave it too me no risk to them they had my cash as deposit. I had started a job that involved travel once I graduated I needed a card to put hotels and such on if I got stuck some place. 500 wasn't much but it started turning into a lot of other offers after not very long.[/quote]
Think I'm going to look into this more than anything

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7209154
03/08/21 01:11 PM
03/08/21 01:11 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
I've never had any problems renting a car or getting a hotel room with a debit card. The person behind the counter has no idea if it's a debit card taking cash out of my bank account or a credit card taking money out of a line of credit. We card just about everything, just not on a credit card.

-Ryan
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7209159
03/08/21 01:17 PM
03/08/21 01:17 PM
NY
J
Jc Fitzy Offline
trapper
Jc Fitzy  Offline
trapper
J

NY
Remember ,Card utilization will drop you credit score .you have anywhere from 1/4 or more of your total amount your getting hit .

Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7209370
03/08/21 05:14 PM
03/08/21 05:14 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
Honestly there is no reason for your score to be that low! You can get free credit reports from all three agencies. Do that and see if someone else got credit in your name!

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7209391
03/08/21 06:01 PM
03/08/21 06:01 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
You probably know most of this Wolfdog, but I'm going to spell it all out anyway.

Your credit score is a number to indicate how good you are at paying your debts. The better record you have at paying debts, the more likely that someone will loan you more. It's like if someone asks to borrow my tools- if he has a good record of borrowing and bringing stuff back, I'm more likely to loan to him again. Someone with zero history is an unknown. That's why it's hard to get a loan with no credit history. You have to start small and build trust.

You should think of your credit score like a percentage or ratio. Missing one payment in 10 years won't matter too much, but missing one in 8 months means you've missed 1/8 of your payments, or 12.5%. That's not good. After 2 years of good payments it'll only be 4% (1/24). So, it takes a lot of good payments to make up for a bad one. That's why, if you have debt, it's really important to pay on time, every time. And, the longer your credit history is, the more lenders trust you.

There are 3 businesses, called "credit bureaus", that calculate credit score: Experian, Equifax and Transunion. Usually the 3 will have slightly different numbers for your score, but pretty close because they use basically the same formula. A large lender will usually check all 3 scores and use the average; some small lenders might only check one.

Now here's an important part: checking your credit score too much can hurt your score. That's because the automated system thinks that if someone (including you) is checking your score, you must be trying to get a new loan, which is recorded as negative activity if it happens too much. Don't worry though, there are ways to check your score without damage.

One option is a credit monitoring service like Credit Karma, which Adam mentioned. The downside is that monitoring services usually cost money, unless you get a promo deal. Many services will offer a month free, then you just cancel before the month is up. IMO, you don't really need to pay for constant credit monitoring unless you have quite a bit going on financially.

Your bank might offer some kind of free credit report or monitoring. If you use TurboTax or H&R Block to do your own taxes, they usually offer me a free credit check when I file. Also, any time someone runs a credit check on you (like when you apply for a loan), you can ask for a copy of the report. Lastly, the most basic way to check your credit is directly from the bureaus. By law, you can request your own credit report once per year from each of the 3 bureaus. So if you spread them out, that's 3 free reports a year with no penalty.

If you have any savings, probably the best way to build credit is with a Savings-Secured Loan (other banks might use different names). Basically you give the bank $1000, and they give you a $1000 loan. You make the payments for the term, and then they give your money back. Even though it starts with your money, it shows on your credit report as a loan so it's good for your score. Just make your payments!

Debt can be a very valuable thing, if it's managed right. It really expands your options in the world.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: Wolfdog91] #7209394
03/08/21 06:05 PM
03/08/21 06:05 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Do the Dave Ramsey plan. No credit score needed.

No Jab.
Re: 0-430 in eight months [Re: KenaiKid] #7209399
03/08/21 06:10 PM
03/08/21 06:10 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by KenaiKid
You probably know most of this Wolfdog, but I'm going to spell it all out anyway.

Your credit score is a number to indicate how good you are at paying your debts. The better record you have at paying debts, the more likely that someone will loan you more. It's like if someone asks to borrow my tools- if he has a good record of borrowing and bringing stuff back, I'm more likely to loan to him again. Someone with zero history is an unknown. That's why it's hard to get a loan with no credit history. You have to start small and build trust.

You should think of your credit score like a percentage or ratio. Missing one payment in 10 years won't matter too much, but missing one in 8 months means you've missed 1/8 of your payments, or 12.5%. That's not good. After 2 years of good payments it'll only be 4% (1/24). So, it takes a lot of good payments to make up for a bad one. That's why, if you have debt, it's really important to pay on time, every time. And, the longer your credit history is, the more lenders trust you.

There are 3 businesses, called "credit bureaus", that calculate credit score: Experian, Equifax and Transunion. Usually the 3 will have slightly different numbers for your score, but pretty close because they use basically the same formula. A large lender will usually check all 3 scores and use the average; some small lenders might only check one.

Now here's an important part: checking your credit score too much can hurt your score. That's because the automated system thinks that if someone (including you) is checking your score, you must be trying to get a new loan, which is recorded as negative activity if it happens too much. Don't worry though, there are ways to check your score without damage.

One option is a credit monitoring service like Credit Karma, which Adam mentioned. The downside is that monitoring services usually cost money, unless you get a promo deal. Many services will offer a month free, then you just cancel before the month is up. IMO, you don't really need to pay for constant credit monitoring unless you have quite a bit going on financially.

Your bank might offer some kind of free credit report or monitoring. If you use TurboTax or H&R Block to do your own taxes, they usually offer me a free credit check when I file. Also, any time someone runs a credit check on you (like when you apply for a loan), you can ask for a copy of the report. Lastly, the most basic way to check your credit is directly from the bureaus. By law, you can request your own credit report once per year from each of the 3 bureaus. So if you spread them out, that's 3 free reports a year with no penalty.

If you have any savings, probably the best way to build credit is with a Savings-Secured Loan (other banks might use different names). Basically you give the bank $1000, and they give you a $1000 loan. You make the payments for the term, and then they give your money back. Even though it starts with your money, it shows on your credit report as a loan so it's good for your score. Just make your payments!

Debt can be a very valuable thing, if it's managed right. It really expands your options in the world.

Your credit score is made up of a formula. Debt to income ratio, revolving credit and other things to. You could never miss a payment and still not have a perfect score do to this goofy formula they use. Your score just gives you an idea of how much debt they will let you take on. Pay cash and no credit score needed.

No Jab.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread