No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Might be a blessing in the end [Re: adam m] #7243732
04/14/21 11:09 PM
04/14/21 11:09 PM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
Ammo is not a problem for firefighters.

Re: Might be a blessing in the end [Re: Cragar] #7243775
04/15/21 12:45 AM
04/15/21 12:45 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Cragar
GREENCOUNTYPETE reminds me of a tragedy we had here about 30-40 years ago. There was a structure fire on a 2 story wood frame construction warehouse. Fire was fairly well involved and multiple teams were attacking from different fronts. One team was on the ground floor when the building collapsed on them killing 2 firefighters. Cause of the collapse was several piles of fur that had gotten soaked and became too heavy for the load rating of the wood frame.
Many things were learned from this and our fire dept has not been the same since. There are 2 firehouses now named after these heroes in my city. Every year on their anniversary of their sacrifices we remember them.

Butch Melody and John Halas , you are not forgotten.

this was the construction and plumbing business I worked for 25 years ago.
I had done the majority of the electrical work for the previous 2 years on the building , I got to work with the fire inspector for 2 days digging up boxes and reconstructing the electrical system.

one of the first questions the fire inspector asked was were there any clocks with metal hands I could think of one , the boss/owner was into flying he had a Gulf Aviation fuels clock in the office up stairs metal sided wood frame pole building with offices up stairs. he was particularity interested when I told him it was neon around the outside. well we did find that clock hands stopped at about 4:20 am it was ruled the cause of the fire. Neon has a way of catastrophically failing when it burns out. the fire was not noticed till almost 6 am when it had hit the paint cans down stairs and they woke the boss who lived about 100 yards away.

sent a lot of firemen to the hospital , PVC when burned is bad stuff cyanide poisoning , when your a plumbing outfit we had a whole wall just for pvc fittings and racks of pipe outside against the building.

most of the filing cabinets actually held together but they fell on racks of shelving below the couple that had a strait fall and hit the concrete busted open

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Might be a blessing in the end [Re: adam m] #7243777
04/15/21 12:50 AM
04/15/21 12:50 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I used to burn the trash at the range , it was surprising how often there was ammo in the trash,

generally the fire in the 55 gallon barrel would be going a while , really burning hot before rounds cooked off

it made me uneasy and I would stand a good distance off but I never once had a bullet hole in the 55 gallon drum , with no chamber and barrel the pressure is released as soon as the bullet pops loose.

even a cheap 15 or 55 gallon steel drum to put ammo in and set a lid on it would give it a decent amount of time and protection

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Might be a blessing in the end [Re: adam m] #7244216
04/15/21 05:04 PM
04/15/21 05:04 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
Here's a couple pics of the genius amazing work. Taken last evening

The longer you look the worse it gets.
2nd and 3 rd pic I had put wire nuts and taped off because they were exposed live wires that were inside the wall.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Might be a blessing in the end [Re: adam m] #7256807
05/03/21 11:57 AM
05/03/21 11:57 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
Little update:
The fire revealed a lot of sketchy work done by the previous owner. Exterior wall has got to come down the remaining kitchen walls aren't framed correctly way over notched and bored out including load bearing walls and the list keeps going. I have all construction trades coming tomorrow for a game plan

Questions for those in the trades.... have you ever seen a load bearing wall where the 2x4's are cracked horizontally? 1 part of a wall is carrying the carrying beam with 3 2x4's nailed together but 1 of the 2x4's had several horizontal cracks. The carrying beam is 3 2x12's. I'm thinking this is significant.

Also, how significant is undercut rafter tails? I can't find anything in the code about it. I have several rafter tails exposed because soffits were torn out. Some of the rafter trails are cut upto 8" short from the fascia area. Other tater tails were"trimmed" to be flush with the beam the fascia is nailed into.

Last edited by adam m; 05/03/21 12:02 PM. Reason: Added text.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread