No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Question for you reloaders.... [Re: Ditchdiver] #7246613
04/19/21 12:24 AM
04/19/21 12:24 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
I'd suggest putting 5 or so rounds on a rag then give them a quick spray with WD 40 then rub them down with the cloth they won't be adversely affected what so ever by it .
But then this is what I do when I'm done reloading for myself I trust me but I'm not overly trusting of others and their reloading practices .
Allan

Re: Question for you reloaders.... [Re: slowpoke] #7246635
04/19/21 04:35 AM
04/19/21 04:35 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
[quote=slowpoke]Negative, you can't reload steel cases...[/quote

Actually you can. It’s a pita but there is a video on you tube showing exactly how to safely convert berdan cases to boxer primer. Large rifle primer swager die is the only somewhat exotic tool you need in addition to drill, dremel and bench grinder. This is of course IF the steel case was originally berdan primed, not all of them were.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Question for you reloaders.... [Re: Ditchdiver] #7246657
04/19/21 06:46 AM
04/19/21 06:46 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
After I resize my cases I wipe the lube off and inspect them for cracks and check length. If thats just lube on them you dont need any solvent that may penetrate into the primer and cause a misfire. I use paper towels to wipe mine off while I give them a once over.

I am confidant I'm not special. I know quite a few people whose reloads I will shoot. I am certain they will do as good a job if not better than me. Somebody to careless or lazy to wipe the case lube off would give me concern.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Question for you reloaders.... [Re: Ditchdiver] #7246797
04/19/21 10:57 AM
04/19/21 10:57 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Agree degreasing , if I didn’t use wax,or dry film spray, another form of wax, is part of the process. Cases get rubbed with a cloth before they get trimmed or primed. Then hands get cleaned before primers or powder are touched.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Question for you reloaders.... [Re: Ditchdiver] #7246815
04/19/21 11:28 AM
04/19/21 11:28 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Would I shoot ammo loaded by a good friend? Yes.

Ammo from a friend of a friend? Kind of dicey. I reload myself so I might run each round over my scale just to verify they're all relatively close in weight... A double charge or squib will likely show a significant weight difference. And I would verify the OAL just to be safe.

As for the "sticky" it sounds like resizing lube of some kind. But I don't know for sure. I always use Hornady Unique or Imperial sizing die wax... And just enough that the brass feels "filmy" not greasy. Some of the sprays or liquids that you put on the lube pads might get sticky after they set... Don't know, no experience with them.

Wipe with a rag with some alcohol to see if that helps.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Question for you reloaders.... [Re: Ditchdiver] #7246888
04/19/21 01:09 PM
04/19/21 01:09 PM
Hilton, NY
P
Paul D. Heppner Offline
trapper
Paul D. Heppner  Offline
trapper
P

Hilton, NY
Hand loads from a buddy, nope.
Hand loads from a buddies buddy, A REAL BIG NO!

Re: Question for you reloaders.... [Re: Ditchdiver] #7246932
04/19/21 02:22 PM
04/19/21 02:22 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
That’s funny. I have people asking for me to reload for them.
As far as safety and reliability and accuracy factory ammunition doesn’t even come close to my hand loaded ammo. I used to periodically get recall notices as a retailer from ammo manufacturers for faulty products . I have never had a misfire with centerfire rifle, or pistol round or a stuck case and only one blooper shotshell load fifty years ago when paper hulls were common and wouldn’t hold a firm crimp past a couple reloads.

I have seen pieces of receivers blown up buy careless reloaders
It is a headscratcher for sure when I talk with “reloaders” that never read the “front part of the manual”
I guess for that reason I pull ammo apart when using the pet load ammo supplied for before and after testing to verify the recipe when doing accuracy work.

Can’t be to careful when dealing with 50-63,000 psi.

Re: Question for you reloaders.... [Re: Ditchdiver] #7247332
04/19/21 09:32 PM
04/19/21 09:32 PM
Hot Springs SD
L
Larry Bowden Offline
trapper
Larry Bowden  Offline
trapper
L

Hot Springs SD
I did not state in my post as alleged by providence farm "Army buddy dose( I assume he means "does") not mean he has a clue on hand loading". Go back and READ the post.
What I said was "in no way does it address either one's experience or abilities". I would consider it a reasonable policy to investigate a persons credentials and reloading experience before firing their reload in my weapon which may cause bodily injury or death to myself.
If I am to be quoted I expect it to be done accurately and with proper spelling.
Yes I do have about six decades of loading with a single stage press. I prefer and load pretty accurate handloads instead of mass volume.

Western SD Fur Harvesters, SDTA, NTA, FTA and life member of NRA. Cancer survivor (7 years) and still fighting it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread