No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cross eye dominant [Re: trapperjdb] #7271925
05/25/21 07:00 AM
05/25/21 07:00 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
I am left eye dominant and right handed. Also have terrible hand and eye coordination. But
I can shoot real well so it hasn’t really bothered me much. I am not a good shot at pool tho, and
I putt lefty. I just close my left eye for everything that I aim. Except I can shoot a pistol with both eyes open.

I have a hard time with putting a scope up on target fast. But don’t have issues with binoculars.
I deff wish I was Same eye dominant

Re: Cross eye dominant [Re: trapperjdb] #7271928
05/25/21 07:06 AM
05/25/21 07:06 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
im right handed and left eye dominant. i have been shooting left handed since i was a kid. get you a bb gun and start shooting

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Cross eye dominant [Re: danny clifton] #7271947
05/25/21 07:45 AM
05/25/21 07:45 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by danny clifton
im right handed and left eye dominant. i have been shooting left handed since i was a kid. get you a bb gun and start shooting

This will help a lot.

Started shooting competitively about 1970. Then taught 4H Shooting Sports and YHEC and we started them in air rifle and pistol and b4 we even started shooting an eye dominance test was given and the kids were encouraged to shoot from their dominant side. The patch on the shooting glasses will help a little but if u want to produce national champions u will want them shooting from their dominant side. Just sayin

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Cross eye dominant [Re: trapperjdb] #7272014
05/25/21 09:31 AM
05/25/21 09:31 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
My ex was like that. She never shot gunned much because she didn't like recoil but she could shot pistols and small rifles very well.

The little lady I've been seeing now carries a snub nosed .357 mag so I take that as a sign she isn't all that scared of recoil.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Cross eye dominant [Re: trapperjdb] #7272164
05/25/21 12:58 PM
05/25/21 12:58 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Back about 36 years ago I was working with a Soil Scientist that wanted me to shoot a drake woodie, mount it, then sell it to him. I explained that it wasn't legal, and if he wanted me to mount one for him he either had to buy one from a breeder, or start hunting ducks.......he decided to hunt, even though he had only about one hour of hunting experience from a pheasant hunt some years earlier. We hunted together for all of the first season, and he missed every single duck. Ditto the following season.......several boxes of shells shot, no birds to show for it. It was just before his third season when he found out he was left eye dominant, but shot right handed. He was using his grandad's old double gun to hunt with. When he figured out his problem, he cured it by placing a Muppet Babies sticker on the lens of the left side of his eyeglasses. The guy instantly became much better at shooting. He actually became a great wingshot. All that thanks to Muppet Baby stickers!

Re: Cross eye dominant [Re: trapperjdb] #7272182
05/25/21 01:29 PM
05/25/21 01:29 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by trapperjdb
Just curious what others do to deal with cross eye dominant when shooting a shotgun. I have always closed one eye, but that limits your view. I thought about buying a filter for my glasses and I know it’s also possible to train yourself to shoot left handed. I tried shooting left handed with my over under and felt really awkward, I believe it will take a lot of practice for me.

options

learn to shoot other handed ( Ideal , but lets face it your not 10 years old it will take a little more work)

be a squinter (you have tried this already)

tape your dominant eye lens with scotch tape to make it blurry

to tape you only need about a 3/4 inch piece with an unloaded shotgun , get your stance and shoulder your gun now your partner comes in and while you have your non dominant eye close they move the tape in front of your dominate eye glasses lens , when you with can not see the bead and end of barrel they apply the tape. now open the non dominant eye and you should see the bead with the non dominant eye

if you have a very dominant eye your brain may not let you see out of the non dominant then taping may not work for you

with taping you maintain peripheral vison but the eye can not focus on the sight

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Cross eye dominant [Re: trapperjdb] #7272194
05/25/21 01:47 PM
05/25/21 01:47 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
FYI, if you are wing shooting and you are looking at the bead, you are gonna miss every time. It should get the tape close enough to keep your dominant eye from taking control.

Tip: Point your index finger on your forward hand at the target while shooting.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: Cross eye dominant [Re: trapperjdb] #7272221
05/25/21 02:41 PM
05/25/21 02:41 PM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
It really is a training issue. When I was young my dad made me shoot right handed for whatever reason he had at the time. I shot that way for years but always gravitated to the left when I wasn't in sight of the old man. One thing that it has done for me is allowed me to take any shot that I have to. I am left eye dominant and shoot mostly left handed but I am still just 1 clay better left than right for average. Make the change you won't regret it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread