No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
WI bow fishing vs gigging/spearing #7301386
07/07/21 05:24 PM
07/07/21 05:24 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I was reading the WI regs and what I noticed a few times where bows/crossbows seem to have more season or opportunity to be used than gig/spear and that just doesn't seem right any time a bow or cross bow can be used a spear/gig should also be able to be used.

is this intentional or just more bad language created by the consolidation of regs.

AMS bow fishing is based out of WI and it wouldn't be the first time that the Archery lobby encouraged archery activity with no one updating other language

some examples

Wisconsin/Minnesota boundary waters: Rough fish spearing season: Saturday nearest April 21 to March 1; Rough fish may be taken by means of spears, bow and arrow, or crossbow sunrise to sunset only except for bow and arrow and crossbow, which may also be used on the Wisconsin side of the river from sun-set to sunrise

HARVESTING FLATHEAD or CHANNEL CATFISH ANDBULLHEADS BY BOW AND ARROW, CROSSBOW or BY HAND Bow or Crossbow. - Channel and flathead catfish and bullheads can be harvest-ed with a bow or crossbow during the open season for spearing rough fish (so in most cases, continuously), except in waters with an existing season (or fish refuge). In waters with a specific hook and line season or minimum length limit, those restrictions would apply for bowfishing as well.

Waters Closed to Spearing: No person shall have in his possession or under his control on any of the inland waters or shores of inland waters at any time any spear or similar device that might be used for the purpose of taking, catching or killing fish in the counties of Ashland (except in the Bad River where bur-bot may be taken by means of spears from sunset to sunrise Dec. 15 to Jan. 31 inclusive), Bayfield, Forest, Iron, Menominee, Oneida, Price, Sawyer and Vilas counties and the Menominee River in Florence and Marinette counties.
Exception: Saturday nearest May 20 to July 1: Rough fish may be taken with bow and arrow or crossbow only in Fish Creek Slough (Bayfield Co.) from its mouth to the junction of North and South Fish Creeks.

Spearing by methods other than bow and arrow or crossbow is restricted to sunrise to sunset on all waters, and only during the open season for spearing rough fish on those waters

what is the reasoning that bow and crossbow only , to create a gateway to entry in taking of these fish , you have to have hundreds of dollars in gear to play?

why limit hours of spear use but not bow use ?

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 07/07/21 05:25 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI bow fishing vs gigging/spearing [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7301440
07/07/21 06:53 PM
07/07/21 06:53 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

what is the reasoning that bow and crossbow only , to create a gateway to entry in taking of these fish , you have to have hundreds of dollars in gear to play?

Don't need hundreds of dollars in gear to bow fish.

Used to Bow Fish for Carp, used a 45lb recurve, cheap wood target arrows. All in I doubt I paid more than $50.

Re: WI bow fishing vs gigging/spearing [Re: Dirty D] #7301497
07/07/21 08:44 PM
07/07/21 08:44 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Don't need hundreds of dollars in gear to bow fish.

Used to Bow Fish for Carp, used a 45lb recurve, cheap wood target arrows. All in I doubt I paid more than $50.

I get what your saying , if you find some real deals and make some components it could be done for less than 100

your cheap wood target arrows are no longer legal if you don't have the barbed metal tips

My point was why should a bow be legal and a gig not legal? what is the reasoning

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI bow fishing vs gigging/spearing [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7301522
07/07/21 09:27 PM
07/07/21 09:27 PM
Wisconsin
A
andywb Offline
trapper
andywb  Offline
trapper
A

Wisconsin
I don't think it was a comprehensive change. It was in response to inquiries/requests of bowfisherman. Bow fishing has been legal as long as I can remember for rough fish but not at night. Bow fishing at night became very popular in other states and then eventually in Wiscosin. Several states allowed catfish to be harvested, I'm sure there was lobbying done on this and that is why it is legal now as well.

There is big money in this hobby. I'm sure there is some sort of lobbying taking place. It would make sense that it should be legal for spearing and gigging too but with no voice I'm sure it was just over looked.

Re: WI bow fishing vs gigging/spearing [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7301549
07/07/21 10:00 PM
07/07/21 10:00 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
The counties mentioned are in the ceded territory. Chippewa have been granted the right to spear at night. Probably has something to do with that.

Re: WI bow fishing vs gigging/spearing [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7301568
07/07/21 10:20 PM
07/07/21 10:20 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the WI/MN and WI/IA boundary waters are not part of the ceded territory but prohibit spears after dark but allow bow fishing

what I am thinking is looking to add it as a spring hearing question unless there is some other reason spear/gig should always be equal to bow or cross bow

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread