No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: loosegoose] #7329520
08/13/21 09:21 PM
08/13/21 09:21 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I suggest a rubber axe for a 10-year old. Maybe I am too safety-conscious. I think a gun could be less dangerous in the hands of a 10-year old than an axe.

Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: charles] #7329612
08/13/21 11:05 PM
08/13/21 11:05 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by charles
I suggest a rubber axe for a 10-year old. Maybe I am too safety-conscious. I think a gun could be less dangerous in the hands of a 10-year old than an axe.

got my first knife at 8 I still have it
I think I was a Bear scout when we earned our whittling chip , a business card size card with my name on it and the rules printed on the back , a set of rules we had to follow , should you get caught breaking one you lost a corner of your card if you lost 2 or 3 corners it was ripped up and you could wait til the next years bear scouts were taking their whittling chip training and retake it with them.

as a WEBELO scout age 10 we upgraded to a Totin chip this added hatches , ax and saw lessons and rules.

at 10 I also got my compound bow , was allowed to practice in the backyard by my self , shot for hours and hours in the back yard

10 seems young in this coddled society , but I don't think it is so young as long as the safety is taught and when and where the ax may be used is laid down.

My dad hunted and had his shotgun and that was it , when I was 11 my dad bought a 22 then a shotgun for me to use well we got more into guns after that.

I think it was some where around 6 or 7 my son got his first knife.

about 10 he had a tomahawk but used my axes at

8 or 9 he was running a log splitter

I think he was shooting at about 6. I got a red ryder when he was 4 or 5 to start him on and a air rifle shortly after that

7-8 he was shooting 22 rifle and not long after 22 handgun

he was decent with a 9mm handgun about 9 1/2

at 10 he bought/earned his first shotgun. he had some money and worked the rest off splitting wood.

he bought / earned his 22 rifle at 11 more wood splitting

he started shooting action pistol a few days after his 12th birthday. I have the video of his first run , he was dropping steel fast enough and with every hit that you can hear one of the guys in the background that had been talking stop , say whooow how old is that kid?

this was of course all well trained and supervised

this summer he turned 18 , bought a Glock 19 and ran his own gun in action pistol

running chainsaw actually gave me the most pause , I don't think he ran chainsaws till he was 15 or 16

10 for a hatchet doesn't seem too unreasonable

if you never give them responsibility in little steps and make sure they earn the next steps then well you end up with child like adults unprepared for the world , you only get them for so long before you have to let them go be their own people , make sure when they fall to their level of training you gave them a solid base to work with.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 08/13/21 11:06 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: loosegoose] #7329663
08/14/21 12:03 AM
08/14/21 12:03 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So they are out of stock ..eh ? They have a wicked edge on them….had mine for 5 years…and haven’t needed to touch up the edge yet !

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: charles] #7329673
08/14/21 12:17 AM
08/14/21 12:17 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by charles

I started splitting wood with an axe when I was 7. My mom and dad were divorced, and we heated our house solely with wood. My grandparents lived next door and they also heated with wood. Every Saturday during the fall and winter was wood splitting day. We would first go to the woods on the tractor, and haul home 2-4 dead trees. Then my grandfather would chainsaw them into lengths, while I split. He would get done cutting first, and then he would also split. Once all the wood was split, we would haul it by wheelbarrow to each of our houses and stack it all on the porch. The whole process usually took all day. Those are some of my fondest memories though of my childhood. I loved being outside, especially in the winter, cold, but not cold because of the activity, and it just felt good to know that even at that young of an age, I was putting in a full days work to help support our family.

I'd also got my first knife when I was 5, and first gun at 8. Maybe those were different times.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: yotetrapper30] #7329686
08/14/21 01:29 AM
08/14/21 01:29 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

I started splitting wood with an axe when I was 7. My mom and dad were divorced, and we heated our house solely with wood. My grandparents lived next door and they also heated with wood. Every Saturday during the fall and winter was wood splitting day. We would first go to the woods on the tractor, and haul home 2-4 dead trees. Then my grandfather would chainsaw them into lengths, while I split. He would get done cutting first, and then he would also split. Once all the wood was split, we would haul it by wheelbarrow to each of our houses and stack it all on the porch. The whole process usually took all day. Those are some of my fondest memories though of my childhood. I loved being outside, especially in the winter, cold, but not cold because of the activity, and it just felt good to know that even at that young of an age, I was putting in a full days work to help support our family.

I'd also got my first knife when I was 5, and first gun at 8. Maybe those were different times.

^awesome and what should be going on today with every kid in the usa.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: loosegoose] #7329721
08/14/21 05:49 AM
08/14/21 05:49 AM
South Central PA
oneoldboot Offline
trapper
oneoldboot  Offline
trapper

South Central PA
I agree with previous comments about a "boy's axe" or "3/4" length. This style is what I carry camping and trapping.

The size will be perfect for his age and it will be safer to use because he will have more control when handling.

Norlund is one of the best US made IMO. Any axe stamped "Mann" is A+ and made in PA.

Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: loosegoose] #7334001
08/19/21 10:28 AM
08/19/21 10:28 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline OP
trapper
loosegoose  Offline OP
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
[Linked Image]

I went with the snow and nealley axe, as suggested here. It showed up yesterday,and seems super nice. It puts my $30 hardware store special to shame, now I kinda want one for myself😁

Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: loosegoose] #7334002
08/19/21 10:29 AM
08/19/21 10:29 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Excellent choice.

Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: loosegoose] #7334036
08/19/21 11:48 AM
08/19/21 11:48 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Can’t go wrong there ! Nice choice

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: loosegoose] #7334039
08/19/21 11:50 AM
08/19/21 11:50 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Originally Posted by loosegoose
[Linked Image]

I went with the snow and nealley axe, as suggested here. It showed up yesterday,and seems super nice. It puts my $30 hardware store special to shame, now I kinda want one for myself😁

My nephews use their axes all the time. Get one for yourself!

Re: Looking for an axe suggestion [Re: loosegoose] #7334071
08/19/21 12:23 PM
08/19/21 12:23 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I love those beautiful, esthetic axes like those mentioned above, but for an everyday user I like the Estwing 26 inch all steel ax. It works great for everything I need it for on the trapline. The only thing it's not good at is splitting firewood. The hollow ground feature of the axe can cause it to be a little sticky when trying to split wood. But it sure sharpens nice.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread