No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349849
09/07/21 04:51 PM
09/07/21 04:51 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Funny to read all this as if it's gone altogether.

Even when filling out applications to most places especially any type of secure atmosphere there is usually a box at the end of the whole thing that says sign your signature here. People should at the very least be able to sign their own name, I mean really how many ways can you make an X !!

I learned how in the 3 grade and schools would not allow printing to turn in your work, cursive was very well regulated and beat into you. You could learn your own slant or style but, man, it had better be able to be read or you did the whole thing over.

Schools don't teach it as it's to time consuming to do for those not used to doing anything with their hands or mind to hand control, they are more interested in teaching ideals and goal oriented prizes for good behavior, Teachers have no time to struggle through a cursive lesson, when they can put ideas into kids heads for their own personal gain. Computers have taken a lot away from teaching to speed things up, typing is still taught but most kids know that already from using computer key boards.

People talk of home schooling as if it's different as well, in some ways it's no different, some still indoctrinate ideas and thoughts into their kids like thats the way it is, until the kids get out in life and see it's not that way, there are useful things in both, but parents still need to be involved in schooling, sadly thats not happening much anymore with both parents working when there are two parents in the home, even thats not a regular thing any more !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ~ADC~] #7349942
09/07/21 07:51 PM
09/07/21 07:51 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Our 3 granddaughters attend public schools and all three have had cursive writing classes. All three however do prefer to print versus write.

Bryce

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349959
09/07/21 08:10 PM
09/07/21 08:10 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
My wife teaches 7th and 8th grade and about once a week there is a cursive writing lesson.

The only C I got in high school was in writing. I hate it with a passion.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: Rusty Axe Camp] #7349965
09/07/21 08:18 PM
09/07/21 08:18 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Originally Posted by Rusty Axe Camp
My daughter learned it in elementary school here in MI.

While I also like to complain about changing times, when is the last time any of you sat down and scrolled out something in cursive?

Each time I hand write a check which is not often. I sign 40-70 paychecks a week plus checks to pay company bills. Probably gonna have a signature stamp made as my signature has become not much more then a straight line when I sign.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: Gene Dziza] #7349972
09/07/21 08:26 PM
09/07/21 08:26 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Originally Posted by Gene Dziza
I haven't communicated in cursive for years, other than a signature. I guess I disagree with a lot of you regarding its value in today's society. When my 16-year-old daughter was in grade school, attending a private Christian school, she spent hours and hours honing her cursive skills. I wondered how much her teachers actually wrote in cursive themselves. I'm aware of the studies that claim other benefits other than cursive handwriting that supposedly occur from cursive handwriting. I would propose those benefits could be achieved by plenty of other activities as well.

My daughter homeschools now and it is the greatest thing ever for her. It affords us time to teach skills we feel they don't adequately get in schools, such as entrepreneurship, the American Dream as we see it, the power of positive thought, discovering and pursuing personal passions, personal finance and investing, etc. Gym class can be horseback riding or personal defense. We can even include handgun defense in that. But I sure as heck don't ever ask her to write in cursive!

We now winter in the horse country of Florida. During our stay there, our daughter can attend as many classes at the College of Central Florida as she wants. She takes full credit classes and her tuition, materials, and books are all free because she is a "dual enrollment" student. In other words, because she is a homeschooler. She can take classes all day. I'm sure other colleges around the country have similar programs. It is a game-changer for homeschooling. I encourage anyone with homeschooled kids to look into that.

Our public highschool also offers dual enrollment. One of my daughters recently graduated highschool with an Associates degree. But she used the pandemic (and lack of sports) as an option to double down on college classes.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349989
09/07/21 08:39 PM
09/07/21 08:39 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Pretty sure we learned to curse long before we learned to write.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7351273
09/09/21 11:52 AM
09/09/21 11:52 AM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Online content
trapper
T-Rex  Online Content
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
So, what is the importance of cursive, anyway?

To write fast?

If that is true, it is self defeating. I learned cursive in grade/elementary/lower school. I learned well, and had great handwriting. After a half dozen of taking class notes in cursive, I couldn't even read my own writing. That is from stupidly scrambling to try to take down every word of lecture. Stupid!

Instead of writing fast, a person needs to listen harder. Take few but legible notes in outline form.

IMO, cursive is overrated. It was pretty much predictable that it would go the way of shorthand.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7351413
09/09/21 04:13 PM
09/09/21 04:13 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
My buddy's kid learned Cursing on the 'Puter at home?

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7351420
09/09/21 04:30 PM
09/09/21 04:30 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
My family regularly writes hand written letters to keep in touch with each other. They are written in cursive and sent snail mail. Guess were old fashion.
Letter writing is beginning to be a lost art form. Replaced with shortened sentences and emoji.
Yes I know it's ironic to type out a printed response like this.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7351447
09/09/21 05:22 PM
09/09/21 05:22 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
My homeschooled kids aren't learning it. I just don't see a need for it. If they want to learn it's we'll teach them, but otherwise no. As far as the constitution being written in cursive, it's available in print form too.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7356955
09/16/21 10:09 AM
09/16/21 10:09 AM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7356967
09/16/21 10:19 AM
09/16/21 10:19 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I didn’t realize it until last Christmas when I wrote a letter to each of my boys and my DIL…she’s the only one that could somewhat read the letter.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7357046
09/16/21 12:29 PM
09/16/21 12:29 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
It's kinda funny but I think cursive parallels trapping in some ways. Both are a dying art that have benefits beyond the simple act of doing them. They're both part of our national heritage.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: atrapper] #7357054
09/16/21 12:57 PM
09/16/21 12:57 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Online content
trapper
T-Rex  Online Content
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted by atrapper
....part of our national heritage.
I tend to agree with that. I would also add whatever you are smoking to the list.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7357078
09/16/21 02:02 PM
09/16/21 02:02 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Difficult to read historic documents if you don't have the ability to write in cursive. Reading and writing cursive go hand in hand.

I even make sure my electronic signature is the same as my hard copy signature and my initials are always written in cursive.

Writing in cursive is not outdated the same as the documents written in cursive are not outdated.

formerly posting as white dog
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread