No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Primers made in the USA?? #7357182
09/16/21 05:14 PM
09/16/21 05:14 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Large Pistol Primers. Are there any manufacturers in the USA that make large pistol primers?

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Primers made in the USA?? [Re: Gary Benson] #7357186
09/16/21 05:16 PM
09/16/21 05:16 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
CCI , Federal , Winchester

the big 3

was the big 4 with Remington , not sure what their status is yet if they are back online

it is really like the big 2 CCI and Federal and now Rem are one and WIN is the other after they divided up Remington.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 09/16/21 05:18 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Primers made in the USA?? [Re: Gary Benson] #7357209
09/16/21 05:42 PM
09/16/21 05:42 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
non US primers

S&B / CZ were being imported but that stopped when they had an explosion in their plant in Czech republic about 2015
https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/201...on-sellier-bellot-factory-leaves-3-dead/

Nobel Sport (Italy) was importing 209 primers , but only 209 I think they are still importing , I just haven't seen any in a while

RWS only imports percussion caps that I know of

Armscor of the Philippines makes primers , ammo , brass and bullets but only appears to import brass , bullets and loaded ammo

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Primers made in the USA?? [Re: Gary Benson] #7357681
09/17/21 09:33 AM
09/17/21 09:33 AM
west virginia
W
wvmntnhick Offline
trapper
wvmntnhick  Offline
trapper
W

west virginia
Winchester is the only one that makes everything stateside from what I’ve gathered. The others are importing materials which is slowing things down.

I keep desperately hoping that one day someone will call me "Sir" without adding "please calm down" or "you're causing a scene."
Re: Primers made in the USA?? [Re: Gary Benson] #7357739
09/17/21 10:47 AM
09/17/21 10:47 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Rumor has it that a few of the large ammo makers outside of those under the VISTA umbrella are going in to the primer making business too. Two names I hear popping up are Sig Saur and Hornady. There may be others, but the central theme of these rumors is these folks have grown frustrated by dependence on VISTA for their primers.

Flip side of the argument against such investment is the short term gain doesn't warrant the long term pain. Not profitable in the long run. But if the rumors of all the back orders for ammo are true (Hornady website says they have 2 years of ammo back orders to fill just to catch up), it would seem there actually is room for more primer capacity. So not sure the bad investment theory holds water. Out of a total investment in an ammo plant of the type Sig Saur has in Arkansas, the addition of primers would seem to be a small part of it. Certainly not living up to potential without them.

Re: Primers made in the USA?? [Re: Gary Benson] #7357744
09/17/21 10:51 AM
09/17/21 10:51 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Also, does anyone have a handle on the actual percentage that reloading fills in the US ammo market? What percentage of ammo used are reloads?

Out of 100 primers consumed, how many would typically go to reloaders on an annual basis?

Re: Primers made in the USA?? [Re: HayDay] #7357755
09/17/21 11:09 AM
09/17/21 11:09 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by HayDay
Also, does anyone have a handle on the actual percentage that reloading fills in the US ammo market? What percentage of ammo used are reloads?

Out of 100 primers consumed, how many would typically go to reloaders on an annual basis?

no exact numbers but primers to private reloading is tiny no matter how big we think we are

with a lot of the relaoders of the past having been shotgun shell reloaders for trap , they made it not worth your time to relaod for around 20 years and most people slowed or stopped reloading 12 and 20 with high price of led and low cost of loaded ammo.

competition shooting is up but even with that I would be surprised if 3 in 100 primers hit the private relaoding market as in those of us not having a class 6 ffl license to manufacture ammunition and buying in 1K boxes

there is a growing professional relaoding market but I would still guess they are small potatoes at maybe 10% or less of ammo on the shelf/web for sale

I think we definitely need greater diversification in the Primer market , right now primers are a real point of slow down in the system and you can only work 24/7 you just can't go faster when it comes to primers everything is limited by the quantity of priming compound you can have out and moving at one time.

Re: Primers made in the USA?? [Re: HayDay] #7357819
09/17/21 12:46 PM
09/17/21 12:46 PM
AR
P
Preacherman Les Offline
trapper
Preacherman Les  Offline
trapper
P

AR
Originally Posted by HayDay
Rumor has it that a few of the large ammo makers outside of those under the VISTA umbrella are going in to the primer making business too. Two names I hear popping up are Sig Saur and Hornady. There may be others, but the central theme of these rumors is these folks have grown frustrated by dependence on VISTA for their primers.

can't speak for Hornady, but the Sig rumor has produced a lot of activity wink

Re: Primers made in the USA?? [Re: Gary Benson] #7357830
09/17/21 12:57 PM
09/17/21 12:57 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I did read where Hornady in Grand Island NE is expanding their plant, so I hope they do step things up and make some primers.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread