No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: OH the pain-Throwing out food [Re: yotetrapper30] #7358712
09/18/21 02:56 PM
09/18/21 02:56 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson

My sister does the same thing. Every month she throws food out in her pantry. Can goods and bagged goods. I get enough goods from her worried about code dates to keep us going for months at times.

This is how I lived in college, lol. My grandmother would throw food out about a month (for canned goods, etc.) BEFORE the use by date, lol. I had her set them all in a box for me. Freezer foods and meats she had a special shelf in her freezer just for my expired foods. I hardly EVER had to buy groceries.

My one grandmother would throw out the lunch meat every day after lunch. She wouldn't make sandwiches but lay out stuff to make your own then throw anything left away.

Re: OH the pain-Throwing out food [Re: Bogmaster] #7358722
09/18/21 03:09 PM
09/18/21 03:09 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
I'm with you, Tom.

nine hours is outside my comfort level.

Re: OH the pain-Throwing out food [Re: Bogmaster] #7358750
09/18/21 03:48 PM
09/18/21 03:48 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
No worse than what a former neighbor did one time for a get together, she was planning. Made one batch of egg salad one day, Made the 2nd batch the 2nd day , Made the 3rd batch the 3rd day, The FOLLOWING DAY!!! She combined batches 1 , 2 and 3 together ; and served it at her party. 50 people she had there. By the end of the day, ALL the portable toilets she rented from the septic tank pumper, were filled to capacity Ran out of toilet paper , too !! The next day , she complained to her friend , " I don't know what happened. I thought that was how you ALWAYS prepared large batches of Egg Salad for a Party !!! "

She never did that again!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: OH the pain-Throwing out food [Re: Bogmaster] #7358858
09/18/21 06:43 PM
09/18/21 06:43 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
sweetwilliam Offline
trapper
sweetwilliam  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
9 hours without power and not opening the fridge I would eat it all and not blink an eye.

Re: OH the pain-Throwing out food [Re: Bogmaster] #7358932
09/18/21 08:57 PM
09/18/21 08:57 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
When I was young we did not have electricity until I was 10 years old and neither did neighbors for miles around. No refrigeration! Everyone in my family survived and my grandparents and great grand parents lived longer than their children and grandchildren. Some of the foods we ate tasted bad at times and we often trimmed or scraped edges but I do not recall tossing anything out.

Re: OH the pain-Throwing out food [Re: Bogmaster] #7358987
09/18/21 10:10 PM
09/18/21 10:10 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Bogmaster
I did a lot of checking, everything I read said --4 hours max without power and many of the foods would be unedible. once the temp reaches 40 degrees ,things are downhill.
there are lists available on what can be kept and what should be gotten rid of.
Tom

mostly lies from the do gooders who need to be able to say if it ever goes below 40 it is all bad

the reality is you could have made something with a lot of that

eggs,milk,soymilk,sour cream,sald dressings,lunch meats ,polska keobasa and a lot of other good stuff.

I let eggs sit on the counter for days , they would have been fine

the plska klelbasa , you were going to cook them through they would have been find unless they were already old.

salad dressing , so somehting that is shelf stable till you open it goes bad in a couple hours below 40 but not hot , shoot the stuff at the salad bar sits out longer then that.

that leftover roast up it was already cooked killing anything on it

most any thing that could have grown in a few hours is easily killed by cooking

sour cream gets cultured by being 115 degrees for hours , it would have been fine it may not have lasted as long as it would have other wise.

I make a lunch meat sandwich and it often sits in a bag till noon from 6 hasn't killed me yet it gets slimy when it is going bad

if you as a food manufacturer how they can guarantee something stays good they will say if it goes below 40

they are avoiding liability

sniff test and taste test , you can alwasy spit if it tastes bad go a very long ways.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: OH the pain-Throwing out food [Re: sweetwilliam] #7359371
09/19/21 04:06 PM
09/19/21 04:06 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by sweetwilliam
9 hours without power and not opening the fridge I would eat it all and not blink an eye.

I would have cooked up all the iffy stuff and invited the neighbors over.
Because of a difference in the Pasturizing process, only in the US and Canada is milk is kept refrigerated. In Europe it's kept room temp.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: OH the pain-Throwing out food [Re: Bogmaster] #7359863
09/20/21 08:53 AM
09/20/21 08:53 AM
southern Wi.
N
nute Offline
trapper
nute  Offline
trapper
N

southern Wi.
Bog. sorry for your loss. It is never good when things happen like that ,better to be safe than sorry. Nute PS it is realy nice that a few like to hit with a stick.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread