No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7358886
09/18/21 07:31 PM
09/18/21 07:31 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
Self check is about all I use. in and out in minutes.

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7358890
09/18/21 07:41 PM
09/18/21 07:41 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I dont like pumping my own fuel either. If your getting more than a hundred bucks your toast. Pump will shut off if you use a card at the pump. Have to go inside and give them your card or prepay an amount for more than you think you need. Pump your fuel and get back in line to either pay or get money refunded to your card and get your receipt.

I really really really miss just putting both thumbs up at the attendant. Having him wash all my glass including mirrors, bump my tires, check my oil and check my lights while he fills the truck. Giving me the option of just paying him and leaving or going inside to eat shower etc then paying at the fuel desk where my keys would be handed to me and told where my truck is parked.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7358894
09/18/21 07:51 PM
09/18/21 07:51 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
True story happened Thursday.

Got fuel in Ottawa Kansas. Took my card inside and went out to pump fuel. Finished and went in to pay. Told the girl I got 90 gallons on pump two. She handed me a receipt for 20 bucks in gas and my card. Never ran the card for the 90 gallons of diesel. I told her this receipt is for 20 bucks and i just said I got 90 gallons. I have not paid yet. Girl asked me how much it was. I said I didnt look but it was 90 gallons, not 20 dollars. She said she didn't know 90 gallons was not 20 dollars and I was being rude. I think because I did gasp when she said she didnt know 90 gallons of fuel was more than 20 dollars. I said ,Ma'am I am pretty confident I just kept you from getting fired as I could have left with about 300 bucks in fuel. Huumph she says and go gets somebody else to ring me out.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7358898
09/18/21 07:56 PM
09/18/21 07:56 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
She deserves to be fired. Not only for her attitude but for the fact she is costing her employer lots of money!! Sad part is, she is probably making $15.00 an hour and thinks she is underpaid.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7358905
09/18/21 08:03 PM
09/18/21 08:03 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I dislike self checkouts too. I end up crashing the computer @ Lowe's one time. I don't go there very often these days.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: danny clifton] #7358919
09/18/21 08:34 PM
09/18/21 08:34 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by danny clifton

Got fuel in Ottawa Kansas. Took my card inside and went out to pump fuel. Finished and went in to pay. Told the girl I got 90 gallons on pump two. She handed me a receipt for 20 bucks in gas and my card. Never ran the card for the 90 gallons of diesel. I told her this receipt is for 20 bucks and i just said I got 90 gallons. I have not paid yet. Girl asked me how much it was. I said I didnt look but it was 90 gallons, not 20 dollars. She said she didn't know 90 gallons was not 20 dollars and I was being rude. I think because I did gasp when she said she didnt know 90 gallons of fuel was more than 20 dollars. I said ,Ma'am I am pretty confident I just kept you from getting fired as I could have left with about 300 bucks in fuel. Huumph she says and go gets somebody else to ring me out.

Prime example of what I'm talking about and why I just like doing stuff myself

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359195
09/19/21 10:11 AM
09/19/21 10:11 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Give those using self checkout a 5% discount and a lot more people will use it. If I'm in a big hurry I'll use one, otherwise I'll wait in line. I prefer shopping at places like Piggly Wiggly or Kroger where I don't even have to unload my cart, actually.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: yotetrapper30] #7359225
09/19/21 11:02 AM
09/19/21 11:02 AM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Give those using self checkout a 5% discount and a lot more people will use it. If I'm in a big hurry I'll use one, otherwise I'll wait in line. I prefer shopping at places like Piggly Wiggly or Kroger where I don't even have to unload my cart, actually.

yotetrapper30: . The cost of food in MS is a LOT !! cheaper , than here in NY. Over $1.00 cheaper on some items. Do you happen to know the cost for a gallon of Milk in that store ?

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359232
09/19/21 11:12 AM
09/19/21 11:12 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by danny clifton

Prime example of what I'm talking about and why I just like doing stuff myself

This Nation is in trouble. I had an experience somewhat similar to Danny at a bakery that had no prices listed. I asked how much a dozen donuts were and she got mad and kind of sassy. She said and I quote “it’s buy 5, get 1 free.” I said so....how much is a dozen? She had to get someone else and said “this dudes wanting to know how much a dozen cost. I don’t know what that is.” I said a dozen is TWELVE. How much will 12 cookies cost?

She told me how much (2) buy 5, get 1 free’s cost, I paid, and she gave me 13 cookies. This girl looked to be in her mid-20s, and she worked at a bakery, yet she still didn’t know what a DOZEN meant!

In no way was I trying to laugh at her. In fact I was kind of having a hard time with the conversation because I’d never met an adult that didn’t know what a dozen was. Now I don’t take conversations lightly

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359241
09/19/21 11:25 AM
09/19/21 11:25 AM
alaska
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper

alaska
You asked about donuts and then bought cookies. No wonder she was confused. And then she gave you a baker’s dozen to boot. smile Seriously tho, I get your point

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359252
09/19/21 11:44 AM
09/19/21 11:44 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
The ones in Wolfies story were probably Mennonite. They go by different rules than "true" Amish.

Just to be technical, there are 3 sects of old German Anabaptist that came out of the Reformation in the 1500s: Amish, Hutterites, and Mennonites. The Amish are the most "traditionalist" and don't (supposedly) use motor vehicles and electricity unless forced by the government to keep their milk cold for typical wholesale selling. They live in individual houses but not on a communal farm. The Hutterites are sort of in the middle, with their women wearing traditional dark dresses and head scarves. They use modern machinery for their farming but don't own their own vehicles. They live in individual houses but on a collective farm, often called "colonies" by outsiders. The Mennonite are the most "liberal" (except maybe the Old Order) and live on their own and and drive their own vehicles but women still wear their hair up with head scarves in public and wear dresses. We have a couple of Mennoite gals who sell flower arrangements at our local "farmers" market.

I don't know of any Amish that ended up in Imperial Russia before they came to North America, maybe some did. There may have been some Mennoites that never where in old Russia but at least some immigrated from there in the late 1800s. All the Hutterites came out of Imperial Russia, their last European "refuge" after being persecuted in various parts of the old Austrian empire in central and eastern Europe. At one time, the Hutterites were down to just 15 different family names...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: NonPCfed] #7359262
09/19/21 12:10 PM
09/19/21 12:10 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
The ones in Wolfies story were probably Mennonite. They go by different rules than "true" Amish.

Just to be technical, there are 3 sects of old German Anabaptist that came out of the Reformation in the 1500s: Amish, Hutterites, and Mennonites. The Amish are the most "traditionalist" and don't (supposedly) use motor vehicles and electricity unless forced by the government to keep their milk cold for typical wholesale selling. They live in individual houses but not on a communal farm. The Hutterites are sort of in the middle, with their women wearing traditional dark dresses and head scarves. They use modern machinery for their farming but don't own their own vehicles. They live in individual houses but on a collective farm, often called "colonies" by outsiders. The Mennonite are the most "liberal" (except maybe the Old Order) and live on their own and and drive their own vehicles but women still wear their hair up with head scarves in public and wear dresses. We have a couple of Mennoite gals who sell flower arrangements at our local "farmers" market.

I don't know of any Amish that ended up in Imperial Russia before they came to North America, maybe some did. There may have been some Mennoites that never where in old Russia but at least some immigrated from there in the late 1800s. All the Hutterites came out of Imperial Russia, their last European "refuge" after being persecuted in various parts of the old Austrian empire in central and eastern Europe. At one time, the Hutterites were down to just 15 different family names...

We camped next to mennonites one weekend. Some women showed up, backed up the camper for the adults to sleep in, got it all set up, pitched all the tents for the kids, and started supper. The men showed up (presumably after work) and they had a good time. Those women weren’t afraid of work, I can vouch for that.

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Canvasback2] #7359269
09/19/21 12:24 PM
09/19/21 12:24 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

yotetrapper30: . The cost of food in MS is a LOT !! cheaper , than here in NY. Over $1.00 cheaper on some items. Do you happen to know the cost for a gallon of Milk in that store ?

$3/gal for whole milk right now but it varies a lot. A couple weeks ago it was $3.60

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359362
09/19/21 03:47 PM
09/19/21 03:47 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
LOL, Love it!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: NonPCfed] #7359457
09/19/21 06:39 PM
09/19/21 06:39 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by NonPCfed

Out on the Steppes of western Russia near the Volga there were large German Anabaptist communities. They were invited by Queen Ekaterina. Once the germans fell out of favor whole villages emigrated to tye plains of America. Mamy of their children died in the blizzard of 1888.

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359460
09/19/21 06:43 PM
09/19/21 06:43 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Lots of Mennonites here. Some still wear home made clothes and have beards and some do not. Like every other religion it is changing. when i first moved here they only drove tractors. now even the home made clothes Mennonites drive cars. A lot of them are in the building trades. Skilled craftsmen most of them.

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359465
09/19/21 06:50 PM
09/19/21 06:50 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I love self checkout. And twice I have paid a cashier and got more back in change than I gave them to begin with. One was on the rez so.........

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359467
09/19/21 06:53 PM
09/19/21 06:53 PM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
I live a few miles south of a Mennonite group, I buy a few things from them and they have very good quality and decent price’s. They drive and use some technology, but, they are old school. I know, they sure can out work me!

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359468
09/19/21 06:58 PM
09/19/21 06:58 PM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
But, back to wolfdog. I like to use people for check out. I do use self check out when the other line is full. I try to keep people working! Even when they mess up.

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359476
09/19/21 07:11 PM
09/19/21 07:11 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
I left items in a cart yesterday, all registers were roped off. The more self checkouts are used, the less people will be working there.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread