Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
First Time Tainting #7360697
09/21/21 07:04 AM
09/21/21 07:04 AM
Maine
S
srmtrap Offline OP
trapper
srmtrap  Offline OP
trapper
S

Maine
Trying my hand at making bait for the first time and have read a ton in the archives which has been awesome. Quick question. I didn't have much to start with so I got some pork liver and thought I would use that until I get a deer hopefully later this year. Anyway...I read a lot about tainting in the archives so I have it chopped up in plastic jars with the top loose and nylons over the top and under the cap and have been setting it in the sun. It's been about two weeks...temps started out very warm but cooler now. It is turning gray a bit but doesn't smell bad at all. My question is how long should this take? I thought I could put some bait solution in it in a week or two and then let it go for awhile and use it this fall. But it seems that it's hardly tainting. Any thoughts? Does it just take longer than I was expecting? Thanks in advance.

Re: First Time Tainting [Re: srmtrap] #7360797
09/21/21 09:54 AM
09/21/21 09:54 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Keep in mind a sweet taint is more attractive then a total rot I’ve read over the years animals digest taint easier but only go for rotten meat in extreme conditions. A K-9 is likely to roll on a rotten bait also possibly springing the trap rather then working the set.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: First Time Tainting [Re: srmtrap] #7360902
09/21/21 01:31 PM
09/21/21 01:31 PM
Ohio
M
MattDoyle Offline
trapper
MattDoyle  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
You’re probably there as far as taint goes. You will need to get the liver suspended if possible to let it water off. Otherwise, you will end up with a watery bait. I have had both deer and pork liver mold quickly without methylparaben, so I consider that a must have addition.

Re: First Time Tainting [Re: srmtrap] #7361154
09/21/21 06:47 PM
09/21/21 06:47 PM
Maine
S
srmtrap Offline OP
trapper
srmtrap  Offline OP
trapper
S

Maine
Thank you both. I think I'm going to stop the process and add my bait solution. Agree about the watery composition. I can tell that already.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91