No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Duck hunters [Re: swift4me] #7366078
09/28/21 12:58 AM
09/28/21 12:58 AM
minnesota
M
mnsota Offline
trapper
mnsota  Offline
trapper
M

minnesota
Originally Posted by swift4me
Mallards of course, but a nice pack of pintails working on the whistle in a north wind are hard to beat. Widgeon are great too when they are really working the call and ecoys.

Those pintails might not taste good when they come off the prairie potholes in Canada, but after a couple months eating rice, they are right up there with the finest greenhead you ever ate.

Pete

I agree, mallards offer more diverse opportunities, here in the great lakes states,considering over decoys on water and more fervently , field shoots over recent corn harvests,those mallards are the bulk of attention. Corn fed mallards put roasters in the oven!
Pintails are fantastic to work, decoy well,seem to ride high, just have to work them.
Waxed full bodied teal in the oven,...hard to beat.

Re: Duck hunters [Re: RustyShacklefrd] #7366116
09/28/21 06:10 AM
09/28/21 06:10 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
If you don't like eating duck you are cooking it wrong. Most likely over cooking it. There is a reason it is one of the most expensive things on the menu at the fancy restaurant and its not bc it taste bad. smile

Re: Duck hunters [Re: RustyShacklefrd] #7366140
09/28/21 07:06 AM
Austin Minnesota
Suchlike2 Offline
trapper
Suchlike2  Offline
trapper

Austin Minnesota
Heading to Saskatchewan to hunt ducks on Saturday. Have waited my entire life to do it. Cannot wait. I have a great dog and love every aspect of duck hunting, other than our best duck hunting takes place during trapping season, and it s impossible for me not to trap. Every different duck, weather condition and day brings something different to the table and its impossible for me to say what my favorite one is. Divers in a spitting snow when its cold as (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), a big knot of teal doing their version of top gun at daylight, Cans coming down a j hook, big flock of mallards getting ready to pile in to a picked cornfield, honkers tipping and feet down in a field spread, snows and blues in a tornado! Its all a spectacle. God is good and as outdoors people, we all love what it has to offer. So many people will never experience what we do as hunters, trappers, fishermen. They are truly missing out on the best that life has to offer.

Life is short, tomorrow is promised to none of us. Make the best of every day you have
Re: Duck hunters [Re: RustyShacklefrd] #7366141
Austin Minnesota
Suchlike2 Offline
trapper
Suchlike2  Offline
trapper

Austin Minnesota
Heading to Saskatchewan to hunt ducks on Saturday. Have waited my entire life to do it. Cannot wait. I have a great dog and love every aspect of duck hunting, other than our best duck hunting takes place during trapping season, and it s impossible for me not to trap. Every different duck, weather condition and day brings something different to the table and its impossible for me to say what my favorite one is. Divers in a spitting snow when its cold as (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), a big knot of teal doing their version of top gun at daylight, Cans coming down a j hook, big flock of mallards getting ready to pile in to a picked cornfield, honkers tipping and feet down in a field spread, snows and blues in a tornado! Its all a spectacle. God is good and as outdoors people, we all love what it has to offer. So many people will never experience what we do as hunters, trappers, fishermen. They are truly missing out on the best that life has to offer.

Life is short, tomorrow is promised to none of us. Make the best of every day you have
Re: Duck hunters [Re: RustyShacklefrd] #7366151
09/28/21 07:17 AM
09/28/21 07:17 AM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Have a great trip to Sask, Suchlike2! I went up there for many years and had incredible hunts.

Good luck, be safe, have fun, and let us know how it goes.

Moosetrot

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread