No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
MB 550 - How to increase pan tension? #7377065
10/11/21 08:11 PM
10/11/21 08:11 PM
Penna.
J
JKS Offline OP
trapper
JKS  Offline OP
trapper
J

Penna.
Prepping traps yesterday and discovered a few of my MB 550’s had a pan tension around 1 1/2. Some of these are 6-7 years old and I didn’t verify pan tension last fall when prepping traps. What causes this because most of my MB 550’s are around 3 lbs?. I’m very happy with these traps and target primarily coyotes. What can I do to increase pan tension as all YouTube videos cover “reducing” pan tension. Thanks

Re: MB 550 - How to increase pan tension? [Re: JKS] #7377072
10/11/21 08:20 PM
10/11/21 08:20 PM
NC
T
Trap828 Offline
trapper
Trap828  Offline
trapper
T

NC
I noticed that all of my 550s pan tensions is between 3 and 3.5 lbs. Most of which break at 3.5 which is a little heavy for what I like. 3 lbs on our bobcats and coyotes here works perfect. I did read and article once that stated that you could bend the dogs to increase or decrease pan tension. Bend down to decrease and up to increase. I’ve tried this on Victors and works 50/50

Re: MB 550 - How to increase pan tension? [Re: JKS] #7377077
10/11/21 08:25 PM
10/11/21 08:25 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
File the notch on the dog back to flat. Then set pan height back to flat

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: MB 550 - How to increase pan tension? [Re: JKS] #7377176
10/11/21 09:56 PM
10/11/21 09:56 PM
alabama
BandB Offline
trapper
BandB  Offline
trapper

alabama
Check spring strength and pan level. I'm replacing springs now on some that were getting very weak. Some wouldn't keep enough pressure on to keep the teap set. I've also had several that the pan was pointing up on them. Made them very touchy. Got popped several times before I noticed it. I now check them each time I set them for level.

Re: MB 550 - How to increase pan tension? [Re: JKS] #7377257
10/12/21 12:19 AM
10/12/21 12:19 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
I added a small spring to increase mine from 2.5 pound tension to 3 pounds. I don’t like bending dogs.

Re: MB 550 - How to increase pan tension? [Re: strike2x] #7377293
10/12/21 06:35 AM
10/12/21 06:35 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Originally Posted by strike2x
File the notch on the dog back to flat. Then set pan height back to flat

Do this.

Re: MB 550 - How to increase pan tension? [Re: JKS] #7377372
10/12/21 09:17 AM
10/12/21 09:17 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
Before you do something you might regret to your traps I'd like to direct you to this on Hal Sullivan's Trapping Archives #9769, 8/12/06. You'll find all the illistrations there.

PIT Pan Tension Systems - Principles and Observations

I first saw the PIT (Paws-I-Trip) Pan system at an NTA Convention in the early 1990's. I really like this system for big traps and big animals. The PIT system creates pan tension simply by leverage. It does not require friction, or the tightening of a nut and bolt, to create pan tension.

But it still remains a mystery to most folks as to how it works. I?ve tried to explain it a hundred times. But now I'm am going to take opportunity of this media to try to explain this with the use of some visual aids.

Illustration 1

On a normal trap, the notch or release point of the pan/dog is directly above the hinge point (blue dotted line). Here a minimum of pressure on the pan is required to move the pan downward and release the dog. In order for us to get some "tension" on that pan, we have to install a nut and bolt at the pivot point and tighten it.

Illustration 2

In order to understand the PIT leverage system, it may be helpful to look at something entirely opposite. Look at the illustration above. If you had a pan system that had an engagement point behind the pivot point (closer to the jaw) -- that trap wouldn't even stay set. Look how the dog would just "upend" the pan, and fire the trap of its on accord. (I once bought some traps like this! )

Illustration 3

Now look what happens if you move the pan/dog engagement point on the other side of the pivot. While before the dog was trying to "up end" the pan, now it is trying to "pick up" the back of the pan. It is actually pulling the pan up in the air. This "pulling up" leverage is what gives you the frictionless pan tension.

Illustration 4

In order to hold the pan in place, and keep it from riding back up on the dog, a PIT dog has a bump on the end which serves as a mechanical stop. However, the bump on the dog is not the defining feature of the PIT system. If there is no mechanical advantage, there is no PIT system.

The advantage in the PIT system is that it doesn't require friction, making it very consistent from one time to the next. There is nothing to go out of adjustment. The disadvantage in the PIT system is -- there's nothing to adjust. What you see is what you get. This is why I find PIT systems more adaptable to large animals. The heavy pan tension needed for large animals is hard to maintain with a nut and bolt.

There are a number of things that will influence the resulting PIT pan tension. Spring strength is one. Stronger springs mean more tension. Four-coiled PIT traps will have a higher pan tension than 2 coiled.

Illustration 5

Another major influence is where, between the eye of the dog and the engagement point, the jaw actually lies. Given a dog of equal length, the further the jaw is from the eye of the dog, the more force it will exert on the pan. This can be a consideration especially with inside laminated or wide faced jaws.

Illustrations 6

There is one other way to change the pan tension. If you can move the engagement point back a little closer to the pivot, the pan tension will decrease. Again the problem is that these systems are not adjustable.

I could be mistaken here (but I don't think so). I think that all the PIT pans are spun off one die. This is the one that establishes the "kicked back" legs which moves the engagement point forward, thus making the pan tension. And that is designed to produce about three or four pounds of pan tension given "average" circumstances. This is the pan you'll see on a #5 or a CDR. From this point forward, the remaining pans are made simply by cutting down the target area of the #5 pan.

These pans all have different target areas, but note that the legs are all the same.

I do realize the economy of this enterprise. Dies ain't cheap. But if there were a second pan, with less angled legs, as in the middle on Illustration 6, it would be more suitable to lighter pan tensions. Say the two pound range.

Of course if you move the engagement point all the way back to the pivot point, like at the bottom of the illustration, you no longer have any leverage advantage at all.

Illustration 7

Another way to increase or decrease PIT tension is ostensibly by bending up or down on the end of the dog. But this has its limitations.

(continued

Last edited by Seldom; 10/12/21 09:19 AM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: MB 550 - How to increase pan tension? [Re: Seldom] #7377772
10/12/21 09:03 PM
10/12/21 09:03 PM
Penna.
J
JKS Offline OP
trapper
JKS  Offline OP
trapper
J

Penna.
Thanks guys. Jeff at Minn Trap products suggested replacing springs or 4 coiling. I’m going to try both. I purchased MB 550s because I didn’t have the desire to tinker with traps but after a few years of trapping I think I can handle it. Hopefully this will be the answer I’m looking for. Thanks

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread