No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone start out without scent [Re: ] #7384383
10/21/21 08:42 AM
10/21/21 08:42 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Mark June
I've trapped canines a long time and I've taught individuals and groups to trap canines a long time and I'll say no two trappers are alike.... but....
learn to make your sets fast.

Every year at our Predator Trapping Academy I smile as I watch all the trappers making sets, with all manner of equipment, and all sorts of smells, and on and on,
but the ones who come up to me and say "how does this look?" "faster," catch more coyotes.
Happens every year.

You can catch coyotes willy nilly but to slam them consistently (average coyote trapper catches less than 3 per year in almost every state stats) you gotta be fast, real fast = less human scent IMO.

Blessings,
Mark

Good to know I'm in the average level. I just figured it was because I only trap about 200 acres in two track and don't start tell January. I guess it could also be the 3 of us( my two boys picking watching and doing parts of making the set and taking much longer than needed. But they got 4 totes and two red fox last year so I guess they were actually above average on k 9.;)

Re: Anyone start out without scent [Re: Wolfdog91] #7384391
10/21/21 08:53 AM
10/21/21 08:53 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
When your in WY in a county with lots of predator control going on and houses are 20 miles apart its a lot different than cow pastures in KS. GENERAL rule is scent control is not really needed. Sometimes in some places for some coyotes its real important IMO

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Anyone start out without scent [Re: Wolfdog91] #7384463
10/21/21 10:30 AM
10/21/21 10:30 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
I'm curious about this. Has anyone here started trapping without someone preaching scent control to them ? I see alot of new people on Facebook ask about trapping and the fist thing usually is how to keep their traps scent free or how to avoid human scent. I got curious and stared asking some of these guys what got them so hyped on scent control and it's usually their dad or uncle or something telling them how hard it was to catch a fox or what ever because they had to be 100% scent free. Curious if anyone just didn't care and set traps

The first animals I successfully trapped were about eight red fox out of two old dukes I found on a garage sale in two weeks time. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I didn't use any scent control and did not prepare the traps at all. I still don't pay any attention to the majority of it. My goal is to get in and out. Not mess around. Even now I use one bait and a squirt of urine. No digging in the bag thinking about what I'm doing. Faster sets =more traps out. I can't say that it's not the quantity over the leaving less scent because I'm there a shorter amount of time but I don't care. I'm not even 100% sure I covered those two traps. It's been about 17 years since I caught them. I still have the pictures of them all lined up. It was a game changer for me.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Anyone start out without scent [Re: ] #7384797
10/21/21 06:31 PM
10/21/21 06:31 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can

Originally Posted by Mark June
I've trapped canines a long time and I've taught individuals and groups to trap canines a long time and I'll say no two trappers are alike.... but....
learn to make your sets fast. Mark
YES, in most good coyote habitat, around rural farm and ranch areas, coyotes are very familiar with human (and other) scent and do not shy away from it unless concentrated in one spot associated with something else like a baited dirt hole; pee post or whatever.
Essentially have confidence, keep it simple and just get in, set and get out as quickly as possible.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Anyone start out without scent [Re: Wolfdog91] #7384808
10/21/21 06:58 PM
10/21/21 06:58 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
It is not only about scent - it is about sound also. tried calling several times by the creek on our place. about the third time when i went back there the neighbors (3/8 mile) dog started barking at me when i crossed the first fence behind the house. I then had to experiment a little on mom and dads place (accross the street). I found that if i called anytime during the day that they would check out that area that night. The coyotes in our area are very used to people and are not scared of them for the most part but i realized that when i set a trap or snare they typically won't check it out for 3-4 days. If i have one going under my fence typically all i have to do is pick up a foreign object - doesnt matter what it is - and place it in the dig under. that will either change their pattern or give me a few days to set up a snare.

Re: Anyone start out without scent [Re: danny clifton] #7384818
10/21/21 07:13 PM
10/21/21 07:13 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
If only a coyote could talk.

Re: Anyone start out without scent [Re: Giant Sage] #7384829
10/21/21 07:28 PM
10/21/21 07:28 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by Giant Sage
If only a coyote could talk.

they are -- i just don't speak that language.

Re: Anyone start out without scent [Re: elkaholic] #7384832
10/21/21 07:32 PM
10/21/21 07:32 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
The guy your speaking of sound like a friend of mine ,hardly bathes, catches loooots of coyotes . Very private person.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread