No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The deer that tried to kill me #7408371
11/18/21 10:55 AM
11/18/21 10:55 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
I have a lot of campfire stories that I love to tell about things that have happened to me in nearly 50 years of hunting, fishing and trapping, so I thought I would put a few of them on video and see if they get any traction. Here's the first one. Enjoy.

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7408416
11/18/21 11:42 AM
11/18/21 11:42 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
I hear ya back in the 70's my neighbor bottle raised a fawn he farmed so i suppose he found it cutting hay in fall he was standing in his yard with his fawn and a bunch of orange ribbons so i stopped to say hi Otto explained he wanted to tie the ribbons on the deer so "You SOB'S dont shoot it didn't like hunting i guess As he had no luck the plan was now that i'm here he'd wrestle down the deer and my job was grab the hind legs and Don't let Go I diden't think the fawn weighed 50 lbs so fine lets go Well I didn't let go but i may as well been a bunch of rags tied on to that little deer The power of those back legs were unbelievable

olden tyred
Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7408421
11/18/21 11:44 AM
11/18/21 11:44 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Great adventure! Too bad you weren't self-filming at the time. I would really like to see THAT video, lol!

Back a bit over 45 years ago I was deer hunting for a half hour or so before I had to leave for the woods (I was pulp cutting at the time).....well, I sat until I was very likely going to be late, trying to wring "one more minute" out of the sit. I finally had no extra time and I stood to leave.....the buck I was after was about 120 yards out and headed my way. I'd seen him take the same route the a.m. before. That's why I was sitting where I was. He did the same thing as the morning before and was soon only a short distance away and I dropped him with the .44 Ruger carbine I was using. Being practically late as it was, I grabbed the buck, a 1 1/2 year old 5 point, by the leg, swung him around and straddled him to do a fast gutting job. When I poked that knife into that bucks nether region he kicked me so hard square in the pectorals that it literally lifted me into the air! He wasn't quite ready to be field dressed. By the time I'd gotten my wits about me he had expired and I finished up. I was only about 30 minutes late to work, and sore for a day or two.

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7408432
11/18/21 12:00 PM
11/18/21 12:00 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Good stuff Bernie.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: J.Morse] #7408457
11/18/21 12:54 PM
11/18/21 12:54 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by J.Morse
Great adventure! Too bad you weren't self-filming at the time. I would really like to see THAT video, lol!

Back a bit over 45 years ago I was deer hunting for a half hour or so before I had to leave for the woods (I was pulp cutting at the time).....well, I sat until I was very likely going to be late, trying to wring "one more minute" out of the sit. I finally had no extra time and I stood to leave.....the buck I was after was about 120 yards out and headed my way. I'd seen him take the same route the a.m. before. That's why I was sitting where I was. He did the same thing as the morning before and was soon only a short distance away and I dropped him with the .44 Ruger carbine I was using. Being practically late as it was, I grabbed the buck, a 1 1/2 year old 5 point, by the leg, swung him around and straddled him to do a fast gutting job. When I poked that knife into that bucks nether region he kicked me so hard square in the pectorals that it literally lifted me into the air! He wasn't quite ready to be field dressed. By the time I'd gotten my wits about me he had expired and I finished up. I was only about 30 minutes late to work, and sore for a day or two.

ha ha that's hilarious I have heard of other people having the same thing happen to them. There's the story about the guy taking a photo with his rifle across the dead deer's rack and the deer jumped up and ran away with his gun. Not sure if that's true or not.

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7408485
11/18/21 01:29 PM
11/18/21 01:29 PM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
I had come up on a deer vs car accident one Halloween night. The deer was laying on the shoulder and out of it but still very much alive. I didn't want to see the animal suffer so I figured I would take my knife and cut the throat as that was all I had with me at the time. I sat on the does back and grabbed under the chin and that is when the rodeo kicked off. That doe with useless front legs took me from one side of the road to the other and down into the ditch where we finally got entangled in a barbed wire fence. I was finally able to finish the job. I had not noticed that a line of vehicles and stopped while this was going on but my buddy said that when I went for a ride there was a little hooting and hollering going on encouraging me to stay on for the full 8 seconds.

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7408569
11/18/21 03:57 PM
11/18/21 03:57 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Since grabbing him by the foot didn't work,,how would you suggest grabbing him the next time? grin

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: upstateNY] #7408602
11/18/21 04:52 PM
11/18/21 04:52 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Since grabbing him by the foot didn't work,,how would you suggest grabbing him the next time? grin

I'm pretty sure I'm done grabbing them at all.

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7408629
11/18/21 05:34 PM
11/18/21 05:34 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
was about 18 I guess. Had a job and my own truck. Don’t know if anyone remember when “string trackers” came out for archery hunters, but my buddies and I thought this was the ticket to never losing a bow shot deer again. We had went to a Buck-A-Rama in Atlanta Ga the weekend before and bought that and this new thing called a grunt call.
The next weekend had me perched on the edge of a cutover next to some oaks dropping acorns on our local WMA. I saw a buck crossing that cutover and gave a couple grunts on that tube and low and behold, that buck started coming my way.
Now we had practiced some with the string tracker and had our sights adjusted for it. With that said, at the shot I ended up hitting that deer straight in the spine. String tracker worked as advertised, there was string from my bow to that buck. Arrows and broad heads weren’t in my budget so I figured I’d just shimmy down the tree in that death trap Baker climber and finish the deer with my knife.
This is where I learned just because that deers rear end is paralyzed, that front end still has some serious power!! The deer was calm as I stepped over it, but came ALIVE as I grabbed his antlers and sat down on his back. It was almost like I had grabbed and electric fence because I couldn’t let go. I still don’t know if it was out of fear or not wanting to abandon the mission. I can tell you this, there is no “cutting” a deers neck.
I’m not sure of the time frame it took but all I really remember is being flat on my back with the deer on top of me and my left hand under his muzzle with his antlers over my left shoulder and being covered in blood. That poor deers head was hanging on by bone alone.
Back then we had to check every deer in at a check station. I pulled up and got out of the truck and the GW came running to me and asked if I needed an ambulance, lol. I had blood from my head to my boots, lol. As I explained the story they laughed and was still laughing when I left.
For the next week there wasn’t a spot on my body that didn’t hurt or feel like it had been punched or kicked. To this day, I keep shooting until they don’t move anymore.

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7408704
11/18/21 07:21 PM
11/18/21 07:21 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
I'm not especially proud of this one......back when my All Purpose Daughter was just a tiny little infant, and I was absolutely BROKE, I and a pal went trouting on a local stream. It was August and real buggy, real hot, and I had every intention of killing an entire limit of trout if possible. They would be the protein portion of a supper or two for my Bride and I. My pal dropped me off at a good spot, then headed down to the next put-in spot 3/4 mile below me. I was planning to fish to where he got in, then drive the truck down to where he would be waiting for me. I have no memory of what fish I caught, but I did manage to make a good haul of protein. About a third of the way through the stretch I was fishing I came up on a busted up adult doe. She was pulling herself through the brush along the creek. I assume she'd been hit on the road by a vehicle. The degree of poorness, I found out, has a very direct effect on the degree of compassion harbored for your fellow creatures. When I got a good look at the poor beast, all gimped up and "pity-full" as my Grandad would have said..........I turned into a deer killing fiend that was full of bloodlust by the possibility of sneaking home a possible windfall of 40-50 lbs of venzin! Easy peasy too, all that it required was me dragging the doe off the streambank and into the crick to hold her down til she bubbled no more. You ever remember seeing footage of piranhas frothing up the water in a feeding frenzy? Yep, that's what it was, but with lots of grunting and blatting noises. Most were being made by me. It wasn't as bloody, but it was extremely strenuous, and extremely wet! That deer took nearly more to drown than I had in me. I was soaked and heaving for my own breath by the time I got her done in. It was a brutal thing I am very glad nobody else witnessed. The in-the-stream gut job went ok, and a rinse off was a breeze. I towed that soggy doe behind me another 1/2 mile or so downstream and stashed her carcass in the truck before picking up my buddy and going home to butcher the doe and gloat over my good fortune. No Game Warden lucked on to me, and the statute of limitations has long expired, so I now confess my transgressions in full.

Last edited by J.Morse; 11/19/21 11:18 AM.

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7408781
11/18/21 08:29 PM
11/18/21 08:29 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by upstateNY

I'm pretty sure I'm done grabbing them at all.

LOL,,realy enjoy your videos.Good work.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7408796
11/18/21 08:37 PM
11/18/21 08:37 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I caught an adult doe once In CR. My buddy who was a veterinarian just bull rushed It knock It down and held It down while I removed the CR. I can't believe It was that easy but I'm not going to try It. LOL

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7409085
11/19/21 05:20 AM
11/19/21 05:20 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Great stories!

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7409107
11/19/21 07:03 AM
11/19/21 07:03 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
back in I was in high school, I worked pumping gas in town , well one of the guys I worked with ,had one of those customize van , well it was deer season and he pulls in to the gas station , all excited about a big buck he said he shot , well we are standing outside the van , all heck brakes out inside the van , 3 of us go over to the van and he opens the back door ,and out jumps his buck and takes off down town , that buck trash the inside of the van in minute's,

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7409218
11/19/21 09:48 AM
11/19/21 09:48 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Not a deer, but when I was a teenager I was trapping on a 3wheeler, and had a heavy duty tote box mounted on the rack on back I put my catches in. I had three coon in there and had just caught a 4th. Opened the tote box to throw it in and a very live coon sprang out at me! It was touch and go for a minute but I got him back in there, lol.

When I was about 5, my family was camping on the land we owned. We had gone for a walk, and my aunt and I were walking through this narrow wooded spot, I guess you could call it a hedgerow, with a pond on one side and a field on the other. Other family members were walking in the open down a lane on the other side of the pond. Apparently, they kicked out a buck deer and it decided to run down that hedgerow. This whole incident probably didn't take 5 seconds.... I heard something crashing behind me and turned around and about 20 yards away this huge (10 point maybe?) buck was barreling straight at me. I froze like the proverbial deer in the headlights. I really think it would have ran right over top of me, if at the last second my aunt, who was a teenager at the time, hadn't grabbed my arm and literally threw me out of the way. That deer never broke stride.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7409239
11/19/21 10:20 AM
11/19/21 10:20 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Watched a buddy of mine ….after 6-8 beers…sneaked up ( in tall grasses ) and caught a Blue Herron bare handed . Then let it go….I had beeah coming out my nose…I laughed so haahd.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: Nessmuck] #7409260
11/19/21 10:57 AM
11/19/21 10:57 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Watched a buddy of mine ….after 6-8 beers…sneaked up ( in tall grasses ) and caught a Blue Herron bare handed . Then let it go….I had beeah coming out my nose…I laughed so haahd.

I've had to let them out of a trap before, They can darn near kill ya and they sure do try to peck out your eyes.

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: ToTheWoods] #7409275
11/19/21 11:19 AM
11/19/21 11:19 AM
SE Iowa
S
seiowatrapper Offline
trapper
seiowatrapper  Offline
trapper
S

SE Iowa
Originally Posted by ToTheWoods
I had come up on a deer vs car accident one Halloween night. The deer was laying on the shoulder and out of it but still very much alive. I didn't want to see the animal suffer so I figured I would take my knife and cut the throat as that was all I had with me at the time. I sat on the does back and grabbed under the chin and that is when the rodeo kicked off. That doe with useless front legs took me from one side of the road to the other and down into the ditch where we finally got entangled in a barbed wire fence. I was finally able to finish the job. I had not noticed that a line of vehicles and stopped while this was going on but my buddy said that when I went for a ride there was a little hooting and hollering going on encouraging me to stay on for the full 8 seconds.

LOL. I can see that in my mind, wow. smile Similarly, I came up on a scene one time where there was a car hit deer laying in the road and while not fully expired, it was badly hurt. There were a couple of people tending to the driver of the car that hit the deer, so I thought I would make myself useful and drag the "dead" deer off of the road before someone else drove over it/hit it/swerved to miss it, etc. So me and another do-gooder walked out to yank the deer off the road.

I believe I grabbed one ear and one front leg, as the other front leg was pretty garfed up as I recall. WOW...when I began to pull on that "good" front leg the "dead" deer came to life and went beserk...only I wasn't smart enough to let loose of that leg right away. My neck still hurts remembering how much that deer kicked and jerked me around with it. smile I don't recall getting kicked, thankfully, but I was still hurting pretty bad, as I felt like I had grabbed a million volt power line or something.

A live deer, even one on its' last kick, has incredible power, almost indescribable. Good story OP and others that have shared.

Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7409278
11/19/21 11:30 AM
11/19/21 11:30 AM
SE Iowa
S
seiowatrapper Offline
trapper
seiowatrapper  Offline
trapper
S

SE Iowa
Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
back in I was in high school, I worked pumping gas in town , well one of the guys I worked with ,had one of those customize van , well it was deer season and he pulls in to the gas station , all excited about a big buck he said he shot , well we are standing outside the van , all heck brakes out inside the van , 3 of us go over to the van and he opens the back door ,and out jumps his buck and takes off down town , that buck trash the inside of the van in minute's,

That's a scream! But I can believe it. Not a deer, but I once, following a successful pheasant hunt, emptied my game bag onto the floor of the rear seat of my car. I jumped in the front seat and began to drive away when there arose a major commotion in the back seat. I was confused as to what was going on as I could hear noises, but did not at first see anything happening...until one of the roosters jumped into the rear window, I believe in an attempt to fly away, and paused there for just a moment before going absolutely crazy.

My friend and I were shell shocked and I still remember the look on his face once we both realized that one of the pheasants, we'll call him Lazurus, was still very much alive! Now then...what brain storm could two teenagers come up with on the spot to solve this dilemma? LOL. He at first crawled over the front seat into the back to catch said rooster...only between getting beaten with his wings and scratched with his spurs, he quickly climbed back into the front seat with the rooster still at large in the back. Believe it or not, our next plan involved pulling over, getting our shotguns out of the trunk, loading them, readying ourselves and then carefully opening one of the back doors...letting the rooster make a break for it. Well, he took the bait and we dusted him as he flew over the road in a last ditch, last ditch, get it? :), attempt to regain his freedom. All true and you just can't make stuff like this up.

Last edited by seiowatrapper; 11/19/21 11:31 AM.
Re: The deer that tried to kill me [Re: BernieB.] #7409284
11/19/21 11:43 AM
11/19/21 11:43 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by Nessmuck

I've had to let them out of a trap before, They can darn near kill ya and they sure do try to peck out your eyes.

My experience with them, also! If you get ahold of the neck and feet, they flog you with their wings!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread