No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rifle barrel break-in [Re: furstroker] #7429924
12/12/21 10:14 PM
12/12/21 10:14 PM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
Originally Posted by furstroker
Choot it James. Clean as you would normally.
Dont beat it with heat and have fun. Is this a sniper rifle
or a shooter? Don't overthink it.

That's about what the guy in the video was saying too, lol.

Re: Rifle barrel break-in [Re: James] #7430119
12/13/21 06:01 AM
12/13/21 06:01 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Online happy
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Online Happy
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
The only break in I have done is with semi auto actions. Rimfire for sure. Every 10/22 I have had or built has got a few hundred rounds, tore down and polished the rub spots. Pistols also. This was for mostly function, lessor for accuracy, but smooth actions don't damage rounds that would hurt point of impact.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Rifle barrel break-in [Re: James] #7430223
12/13/21 09:25 AM
12/13/21 09:25 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Some custom barrel makers have a recommended “break-in” procedure. Some don’t.

I’ve talked to a lot of barrel makers, gunsmiths, etc, and the general consensus is most all barrels benefit some from a fire-lapping procedure. Some greatly, some not so much.

Factory barrels require/benefit this procedure more so than custom tubes.

I do it and will continue to do it.

Re: Rifle barrel break-in [Re: James] #7430379
12/13/21 02:24 PM
12/13/21 02:24 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
I don’t shoot competition so my round counts are low comparatively. I have noticed that the more I shoot a gun, the more precise it gets to some extent. It was quite noticeable for the first couple hundred rounds in some of my rifles.

Since I buy so few new rifles, I usually use a break in. I think, like others have mentioned, it may just be a faster way to get to the precision that a certain barrel is capable of. It is a pain and I agree that there’s no way to know if it helps. If I bought more rifles I’d probably use a much abbreviated break in.

My last rifle was a Hawkeye Predator from Ruger in 6.5 CM. I was amazed at how much less copper fouling there was after the break in compared to how much there was after the first few single shots. Anecdotal evidence at best.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread