No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
How long to keep chicken locked up. #7458256
01/12/22 10:19 AM
01/12/22 10:19 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
Last year the local farm store my daughter worked at had chicks getting old on them and not selling. They marked them down, then I talked them down farther buying them all, then got my daughters discount on top of that.

I got a smoking deal on fully feathered chicks. But they were not ready to go out and hold there own with the big girls yet and were small enought they could fit throught the electric net goat fence i use.

So i put them in one of my meat bird tractor pens. They stayed there tell last night when i banded them and put them into my mobil coup with the rest of them. How long will i have to keep them locked up so they will start roosting and using the coup? Its built on a 16' trailer and i figured they will likely try to roost and lay under it since they have been in a meat bird pen on the ground so long.

I was thinking a week min maybe out to a month before they see the coop as home what do you think.

Re: How long to keep chicken locked up. [Re: Providence Farm] #7458264
01/12/22 10:28 AM
01/12/22 10:28 AM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
If it is big enough I would keep them in it two weeks. With the temps as low as they are they may just stay in it anyways.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: How long to keep chicken locked up. [Re: Providence Farm] #7458268
01/12/22 10:33 AM
01/12/22 10:33 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
They'll probably stay

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: How long to keep chicken locked up. [Re: Providence Farm] #7458317
01/12/22 11:36 AM
01/12/22 11:36 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
None of my girl or guineas get out during winter. Just lose too many with all the hawks around this time of year. Don’t hurt them at all to keep cooped up. Give them some greens and scraps from the senior center where my wife works. Darn things will eat anything!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: How long to keep chicken locked up. [Re: Providence Farm] #7458400
01/12/22 01:14 PM
01/12/22 01:14 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Not sure about your specific situation, since you are mixing birds. Would think the bigger issue is if the do go to roost with the older birds, they are gonna get the crap kicked out of em for a while.

But in general, it takes 7 to 10 days when you move birds for them to rehome to the new spot. Have stuck to that schedule, so never had an issue myself, but have heard of accounts where folks would move a coop as little as 100 feet. At dusk, when it was time to go to roost, birds would go back to where it was.....not where it was moved to. But give them that 7 to 10 days of being locked up, they go to where it is. What difference it makes is known only to the chickens, and they are not saying.

Re: How long to keep chicken locked up. [Re: lee steinmeyer] #7458637
01/12/22 05:50 PM
01/12/22 05:50 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
None of my girl or guineas get out during winter. Just lose too many with all the hawks around this time of year. Don’t hurt them at all to keep cooped up. Give them some greens and scraps from the senior center where my wife works. Darn things will eat anything!

Dang right they will. Mine really like beaver and deer.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread