No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7466885
01/20/22 11:39 AM
01/20/22 11:39 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
To me the pressure is not from the wives n kids it's from the two or three or four guys I've never beat, and unless they are having a very bad day, I never will. Especially if I shoot before them. I'm the old guy with bad habits, bad eyes, slower reflexes and I can't bend and always out of breath. only go bout twice a year. Haven't been in two cause of the c word. Bout 30 miles away at a state Fish n Game reserve. But I still have a great time specially at dinner.

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7466889
01/20/22 11:42 AM
01/20/22 11:42 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I usually carry AIWB so I'm always extra careful and thinking about what a negligent discharge while holstering could do.

I miss the hammer on my old Ruger P85. I could keep thumb pressure on it while holstering and it was assurance that nothing was caught on the trigger (or the hammer would be pushed back). I don't miss the size and especially don't miss the weight. Carry guns have come a long way since those days.

] my first carry gun was a S&W M39
it had the decocking safety I didn't really care for it's position so I would decock&safety then holster and click it off so I was just Double action on that first round I had a hard time finding holsters for it and eventualy sold it. sweet gun at the range very accurate.
we could only open carry in WI back then so it didn't matter that OWB leather holsters were all I ever found for it and it didn't get carried a ton.

I did the same with my Ruger, used the decocker then returned the safety to fire position before holstering. As you said, that made it a DA for the first shot. I had two holsters made for it by Andy Arratoonian who runs Horseshoe Leather out of England. He made them to fit the safety in the fire position. Sadly, Andy is no longer taking orders.

Eh...wot?

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7466895
01/20/22 11:48 AM
01/20/22 11:48 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by CaseXX
Green C P, I was going to say the same thing about accidental discharge (AD) and cops, but figured the OP had been bombarded enough. Those AD are the ones we hear about, so you know there are a lot more we don't hear about. A lot of the young cops are like cowboys on a drunken Sat. night can't help playing with there guns in the locker room. Not to mention the ones that shot themselves in the leg, foot while "cleaning" them. Ya rite. Training, mussel memory, practice, are your friends. That and keep your finger off the trigger till it's time to shoot. Good morning to ya.
Me

I don't think we are bombarding the OP I think we want to help them be the best we can be because we have a genuine concern for them as people.

I like you signature line

the Col Jeff Cooper and some other guys like Bill Wilson owner of Wilson combat got together about 45 years ago and set out to make a really good training tool IPSC International Practical shooting Confederation. it is really interesting to see how competition has shaped handguns , how we shoot and nearly all the changes to police and combat shooting.

it is a proving ground where all the participants survive the day to analyze what they did and how could they do it better.

Yep, the shooting world lost a lot when he left. From what I've read he left the school and gunsight in good hands.

I'm still a Weaver stance guy, old habits die hard.

Rules:
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466915
01/20/22 12:05 PM
01/20/22 12:05 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Not a fan of DA only but never been in a gunfight either Son has a glock 43 excellent pistol Myself i've had a Beretta 70s since 1974 don't recommend a 22lr but there has been a couple times it's given me great comfort to reach in my pocket and its never failed with any ammo used in it also have a model 81 and 84 both Da/Sa the 380 slide is a bear to pull Don't overlook the small revolvers a hot 38 special load in a 5 shot Da revolver pockets and holsters well a used colt or S&W is a quality gun with a smooth da or sa pull If your still going after the pocket 9mm Check what the manual says about ammo some say target loads only Good Luck

olden tyred
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466938
01/20/22 12:26 PM
01/20/22 12:26 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
@CaseXX

it is still people watching everything you do

for me the competition is to beat my son

this used to be easy then I trained him and bought him more ammo than I was shooting myself.

he came out 36 overall this time and I was 43. we are running production glocks in limited so that we don't have to download to 10 rounds

I like to shoot them clean, I just need to shoot them clean and faster my accuracy is great my speed not as good I like to beat a second a round with draw moving , reloading and all the shooting if a stage is 32 rounds I would ideally like to shoot it sub 31 the reality is more like 35

my accuracy is better but honestly doesn't count for as much in the scoring as you might think if you shoot fast C zone vs a little slower all A zone the C will actually score higher. it is good practice so don't sweat the numbers too much

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7466944
01/20/22 12:35 PM
01/20/22 12:35 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Green C P
Was watching some reruns where Leathum was shooting in the old timers group and if my memory is correct that is exactly how he won. No fleas on that guy.

As I recall that was for that stage only, he did not win overall. Been a while since I saw that

Last edited by CaseXX; 01/20/22 12:40 PM. Reason: Add info

Rules:
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread