No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: quail or chickens [Re: KeithC] #7471170
01/24/22 12:11 PM
01/24/22 12:11 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
Keith C ,

So if chickens aren't around , quail have a better chance of survival ?
To get the Di-Methox, you need a vet to prescribe a prescription .

Well , they really aren't the type to use a vet for quail . I could be wrong , but I don't see them doing it.
I told them to ask the people they got the eggs from about it .
Seems they raise deer and other game animals also , so they may be able to get the medicated feed for them .
I'll see them when the weather breaks , as they don't worry about snow in their driveways , and it's easy to get stuck in them .

Yes, if your Amish friends can keep other birds, including wild birds, away from the quail, they are less likely to get sick. Dry pens help greatly, especially with Coccidia, which needs moisture to live.

Yes, you now need a prescription for Di- Methox. The long name is Sulphamethadioxine. I used to buy cases of 6 1 gallon bottles.

Keith

Thank you for the information .

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471280
01/24/22 02:11 PM
01/24/22 02:11 PM
S/W Mich.
Dillrod Offline
trapper
Dillrod  Offline
trapper

S/W Mich.
Coturnix quails and a raised pen for me.
I get 100 straight run chicks every year.
Sex out the males when its time.
I've read its good to keep a few males mixed in?
No expert but the feed to egg and meat was impressive to me.
Eggs all summer and then butcher when weather turns bad.

Pickled quail eggs are high on the request list from family.

"Some Domestication Required "

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471293
01/24/22 02:26 PM
01/24/22 02:26 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Just like with chickens, if you don't need fertile eggs, you don't have to have male Cotunix quail present to get eggs. The cleanest quail eggs come from quail raised on wire. You get better feed conversion rates using the deep litter method, especially in cold weather. In wire cages, quail throw out and waste a lot of feed.

Keith

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471315
01/24/22 02:38 PM
01/24/22 02:38 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Keith, how do you keep your quail? Do you gave a picture of a laying pen?

Re: quail or chickens [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7471395
01/24/22 03:42 PM
01/24/22 03:42 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Keith, how do you keep your quail? Do you gave a picture of a laying pen?

I have 4' wide by 8' long by 2' high, plywood boxes with 2 piece, hinged, wire lids. I put pine, wood shavings on the bottom for the initial bedding. I have good concrete floors underneath. I then let the manure build up covering any wet spots with wood shavings. It's called the deep litter method and works well.

I keep 70 hen Coturnix to 20 males, which is a 3.5 to 1 ratio. I've experimented a lot and that ratio gives me the best fertility rate for the eggs, while keeping the hens in decent shape. I sell mostly chicks, adults and eggs that didn't hatch after incubation.

I can't find my pictures. I'll take some more.

Keith

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471502
01/24/22 05:38 PM
01/24/22 05:38 PM
Ohio
BuckMink Offline OP
trapper
BuckMink  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Thank you so much for the input Keith, the boxes are directly on the cement or elevated? Could you could take some pictures of the boxes to use as an example? Id think id be more interested in the deep box if it helps eliminates waste.

how many quail in a 4x8x2 box?

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471512
01/24/22 05:43 PM
01/24/22 05:43 PM
Ohio
BuckMink Offline OP
trapper
BuckMink  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Im looking at a minimum for a family of 4 actually, between meat and eggs.

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471598
01/24/22 06:50 PM
01/24/22 06:50 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by BuckMink
Thank you so much for the input Keith, the boxes are directly on the cement or elevated? Could you could take some pictures of the boxes to use as an example? Id think id be more interested in the deep box if it helps eliminates waste.

how many quail in a 4x8x2 box?

I usually keep 70 adult Coturnix Hens and 20 adult cocks per box. You can give them more space, but they will produce okay without it. The boxes sit right on the concrete floor. I open one side of the lid, which is hinged long ways and bend in to collect the eggs. Higher up would make the pens easier to collect eggs out of, but harder to clean, less stable and more expensive to build.

A few years ago, Dermestid beetles showed up in my quail colonies. They greatly reduce the build up, so that I only need to shovel the pens out about once a year.

I use stainless steel bowls for water and rubber bowls for feed. Stainless is easier to keep clean.

Keith

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471697
01/24/22 08:21 PM
01/24/22 08:21 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
This pen was made by my friend James's mother, back in the fifties or sixties, long before I was born. It was originally used to brood chicken chicks. He gave it to me in 2012, when I bought my farm. It's been in use for around 60 years. All my other quail pens are modeled after it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just some inside shots of some of the other pens. They are not pretty or fancy, but work well. I have 5 pens in current use. I have 9 more that will go into use soon, for the Spring rush. The other pens were made in 2012.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As you can see i have some young chickens in the 1 quail pen. They'll go to another barn soon. There's the last guinea of the year to hatch in there too.

[Linked Image]

Keith

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471731
01/24/22 08:47 PM
01/24/22 08:47 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
When I used to raise some quail I had them in wire pens that the eggs would roll out to collect, is there anything wrong with that method? I want to raise quail again for eggs and thought ide go back to that setup.

Re: quail or chickens [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7471746
01/24/22 09:03 PM
01/24/22 09:03 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
When I used to raise some quail I had them in wire pens that the eggs would roll out to collect, is there anything wrong with that method? I want to raise quail again for eggs and thought ide go back to that setup.

Rollout pens are fine for most people. You get much cleaner eggs and the quail are less likely to break the eggs and learn to eat the eggs.

Rollout pens cost more to make. Your feed conversion rate goes down with rollout pens because quail throw feed out, often more than they eat. Deep litter pens are easier and cost less to make. The quail waste much less food in them. The pens last longer than wire pens. The manure throws heat, which keeps the quail laying longer and in better condition, during cold weather. Eggs are more likely to get soiled and cracked with the deep litter method. Egg eating can become a problem.

Since I mostly sell chicks and adults, I use the deep litter method. If I was selling mostly eggs, I would keep my quail on wire.

Deep litter is much less maintenance. The trays between the wire levels, of the battery roll out systems, need frequently emptied. Deep litter is less smelly than keeping quail on wire. Wire can cause sore feet and lameness. Deep litter can cause poop balls on the toes, which need to be removed. Both systems have their good and bad points.

Keith

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471778
01/24/22 09:24 PM
01/24/22 09:24 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Keith, I'm looking to start raising quail this spring, How far apart from my chickens should they be & can they winter outside. Thanks, John

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471781
01/24/22 09:25 PM
01/24/22 09:25 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Thanks for all the info!

I grew up raising chickens commercially and they used deep litter, it does work really well but I just want easy, clean eggs so I'll go back to the wire cages.

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471784
01/24/22 09:28 PM
01/24/22 09:28 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
[Linked Image]

Rooting for this guy

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: quail or chickens [Re: trapdye] #7471841
01/24/22 09:53 PM
01/24/22 09:53 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by trapdye
Keith, I'm looking to start raising quail this spring, How far apart from my chickens should they be & can they winter outside. Thanks, John

Coturnix quail do fine around chickens. Coturnix quail don't have the disease issues Bobwhite do. I frequently keep chicken chicks, guinea keets and pheasant chicks, with Coturnix chicks if I don't have enough chicks to make running another brooder profitable.

Once feather hardened by exposure to rain or misting, you can keep Coturnix outside without shelter as long as there is 25 or more in a group, in areas with weather like Central, Ohio. I think deep snow and extended periods below zero F would be to much, but don't have any experience with conditions like that and Coturnix.

I would keep Bobwhite, the Southwestern Quail species and Chukar Partridge in a separate building, if possible, from chickens, pigeons and other poultry. If outside, 150 feet is probably sufficient distance as long as the wind doesn't blow towards them and the water doesn't drain towards them.

Keith

Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471962
01/24/22 11:13 PM
01/24/22 11:13 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
I have access to 4 different breeds of Coturnix quails around me. Do they all taste the same and same egg size?

Cold as ice!
Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7471981
01/24/22 11:35 PM
01/24/22 11:35 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
I have access to 4 different breeds of Coturnix quails around me. Do they all taste the same and same egg size?

The different colors of Coturnix quail all have meat and eggs that taste the same. Diet can change the flavor some. For a long time there was 4 colors available. Now with the new patterning genes and modifiers, there is a very large number of different appearances for Coturnix. I get well over 60 variations in my Coturnix.

Unlike chickens, there are no fixed breed standards for Coturnix. Even the word Jumbo, in referring to Coturnix, has no agreed upon, set meaning. Most Coturnix hens will weigh from 11 to 16 ounces now and most males are about 1 1/2 ounces lighter than the hens.

What people call jumbo browns, which are a size selected version of the wild type, were the first bigger Coturnix. Now most of the colors have the same potential size, if selected for it.

Smaller to medium sized Coturnix lay better than the really big ones. Eggs average 14 grams.

Keith

Re: quail or chickens [Re: KeithC] #7471990
01/24/22 11:49 PM
01/24/22 11:49 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota

The different colors of Coturnix quail all have meat and eggs that taste the same. Diet can change the flavor some. For a long time there was 4 colors available. Now with the new patterning genes and modifiers, there is a very large number of different appearances for Coturnix. I get well over 60 variations in my Coturnix.

Unlike chickens, there are no fixed breed standards for Coturnix. Even the word Jumbo, in referring to Coturnix, has no agreed upon, set meaning. Most Coturnix hens will weigh from 11 to 16 ounces now and most males are about 1 1/2 ounces lighter than the hens.

What people call jumbo browns, which are a size selected version of the wild type, were the first bigger Coturnix. Now most of the colors have the same potential size, if selected for it.

Smaller to medium sized Coturnix lay better than the really big ones. Eggs average 14 grams.

Keith

Lots of good information

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: quail or chickens [Re: KeithC] #7472004
01/25/22 12:07 AM
01/25/22 12:07 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB

Keith

Thanks Keith! You answered everything and more!

Cold as ice!
Re: quail or chickens [Re: BuckMink] #7472015
01/25/22 12:22 AM
01/25/22 12:22 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
For all who thanked me, you're all welcome. I am glad to help.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions on quail.

Keith

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread