No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Great Depression [Re: g smith] #7480559
02/01/22 12:12 AM
02/01/22 12:12 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Skunks got the name of " American Sable" back in that day.
My stories from grandparent and parents are too long to tell.
My grandfather was Minister of Labour and Highways during the depression. Being from farming background he got the farmers working with their teams of horses during the late fall and winter. He was responsiable for making highway 75 going south to the USA and # 44 going east and west of Winnipeg. He wanted to bring NW Ontario to Winnipeg and commerce south to the USA

Re: The Great Depression [Re: g smith] #7480611
02/01/22 02:13 AM
02/01/22 02:13 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I mentioned a little bit about my dad. My mother was originally from near Mitchell, South Dakota. My grandfather sold his herd of steers the day before black friday (1929) and took a check to the bank. The bank closed the following Monday and the family never recovered from that loss. Two years later, after the bank foreclosure, they took everything they had and piled it into my mom's model A (she was a young school teacher by then) and headed west.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: The Great Depression [Re: g smith] #7480613
02/01/22 02:17 AM
02/01/22 02:17 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
In dad's book, The Great Teachers, he tells of his first year of trapping in 1934. It was a time of frugality back then.

Re: The Great Depression [Re: g smith] #7480623
02/01/22 05:38 AM
02/01/22 05:38 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
where did the money go? it went someplace.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: The Great Depression [Re: g smith] #7480642
02/01/22 06:49 AM
02/01/22 06:49 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
Happened when my dad was 7 yrs old until he was 11. He hated the fact that he had to wear knickers because they were poor. He also hated working long hours on the farm with horses and the upstairs was always freezing in winter. He was enrolled at osu later and he had to enlist or be drafted so he joined the army air corp which later became known as usaf. Shot down over germany and landed in holland our allies,,decorated...kept his pilots license for yrs but never flew again. After the war he used his G.I.benefits to finish college and became wealthy. He never turned back.
Today would be his 100 th birthday

Re: The Great Depression [Re: TrapperMEDGE] #7481640
02/01/22 11:23 PM
02/01/22 11:23 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by TrapperMEDGE
First off, thank you for this excellent thread. When I was young, my grandpa and two great uncles used to tell us younger guys stories of living during the depression. The most memorable was about a pen that they built and hid behind a hay stack. During off season they would take out their dogs and gunny sacks, the dogs would bay the skunk till they got there, they said the trick was to get the skunk running with its tail up, run up behind it and grab by tail and put in sack to take home and put it in the pen. Back then, they had a lot of rabbits, so they fed the skunks rabbits until winter. Skunk furs were worth more than a working man could make in a week or month, I can’t remember the exact details. They also said it was important to not let the skunk touch its front feet to its back feet. Once, one of my uncles received a dose in the eye. Said it was most painful thing he had ever felt. They have been gone for over 20 yrs. How I would like to hear some of those stories from them again. So one time out running taps before work I lined a skunk out in a wheat field running with his tail up, I decided to try it.. Well at the last second I chickened out, but I did run right over the top of him. and I kept running…

My dad and his four brothers told me lots of stories about skunks when I was a kid. Like you said, skunks were worth pretty good money clear up to the early fiftys, and I was on the receiving end of many a tale about digging out skunk dens and trapping them. Not sure whether there were laws covering seasons on them, back then yet. The common thing was to start in summer, catching them and penning them till they got prime. Thinking back, the common way to put up any of the fatty pelts then was to trim off the excess fat and meat and stretch them on a home made stretcher, short and wide, just the opposite of now! How any of that fur made it through the dressing without slipping is beyond me! lol

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: The Great Depression [Re: g smith] #7481720
02/02/22 12:11 AM
02/02/22 12:11 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Around here the skunks went on muskrat boards, you could tell the use because the holes were 10 inches past the muskrat pin holes. Hides were mailed in to the fur buyers Monday because postal was cheap and the money was in the return mail by Saturday next. Then to the tanners pdq.
The old farm house use to put up 12 workers come harvest time with the servants quarters above the kitchen at our farm house. Cooks would start at 4am and the heat of the baked bread got them going at 5 for chore time. Some years the crews went to Christmas thrashing various farms within horse wagon range.

Re: The Great Depression [Re: KeithC] #7482209
02/02/22 12:01 PM
02/02/22 12:01 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by KeithC
It was raining former rich men from the skyscrapers in many US cities. Not all the rich did well and some poor men got rich from the opportunities created by the depression. Those who are smart, who can adapt, do well during a crisis.

Keith

Fair point.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: The Great Depression [Re: g smith] #7482224
02/02/22 12:25 PM
02/02/22 12:25 PM
Georgia
G
GreginGA Offline
trapper
GreginGA  Offline
trapper
G

Georgia
I've yet to meet a person who lived through The Great Depression that wasn't affected, greatly, by it.

The grandfather of my former boss would wash tin foil (aluminum foil; i call it tin foil), fold it, and re-use it, later.

My parents, much like many of yours, were raised by survivors of The Great Depression. So, they knew about "going without".

I'm not certain Americans, taken as a whole, would fair well under trying times, such as, The Great Depression or a world war.

Greg

Re: The Great Depression [Re: g smith] #7482229
02/02/22 12:30 PM
02/02/22 12:30 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
So, where did the money go? It had to go somewhere.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread