No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NTA Hall of Fame ?? #7494706
02/13/22 12:07 PM
02/13/22 12:07 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline OP
trapper
yukon254  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Yukon
Anyone know who to contact if they wanted to nominate someone to the NTA hall of fame ?? I think Bob Noonan deserves to be in it.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7494711
02/13/22 12:12 PM
02/13/22 12:12 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Him and Don Shumaker,if he's not already

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7494755
02/13/22 12:46 PM
02/13/22 12:46 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Oregon's own Rod Harder was inducted just recently. Only the second trapper from Oregon to get in.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7494774
02/13/22 12:56 PM
02/13/22 12:56 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
https://www.nationaltrappers.com/halloffame.html

Download the application and send it on

Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7494817
02/13/22 01:22 PM
02/13/22 01:22 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline OP
trapper
yukon254  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
https://www.nationaltrappers.com/halloffame.html

Download the application and send it on

Thanks !

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7494846
02/13/22 01:43 PM
02/13/22 01:43 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Oregon's own Rod Harder was inducted just recently. Only the second trapper from Oregon to get in.

The other is prolly Wayne Negus, I’m betting! He was a neat ole fella! I ran into Rod at the NTA this year. I hadn’t seen him in prolly 25 years!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #7494853
02/13/22 01:50 PM
02/13/22 01:50 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Him and Don Shumaker,if he's not already

I nominated Don a few years back, but he didn't make if for some reason. It was a strong package too.

Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7494948
02/13/22 03:42 PM
02/13/22 03:42 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Can't they be nominated posthumous?...It would be very fitting for Don Shumaker to be in the hall of fame.

Member - FTA
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #7494964
02/13/22 03:54 PM
02/13/22 03:54 PM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Can't they be nominated posthumous?...It would be very fitting for Don Shumaker to be in the hall of fame.

Yes they can, and have been.

Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7494974
02/13/22 04:01 PM
02/13/22 04:01 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Great to hear Paul, Don deserves serious consideration.

Member - FTA
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7494980
02/13/22 04:05 PM
02/13/22 04:05 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

I sat on the HOF committe for several years, not a easy chore to get in and it shouldn't be. More information you can provide for the committee to discuss the better, just being a well known name normally isn't enough.

Miss those Wayne Negus article's, use to dream of trapping on snow shoe's while reading along, I had younger knee's, back, etc. back then, doesn't interest me now, lol.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: lee steinmeyer] #7495006
02/13/22 04:29 PM
02/13/22 04:29 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler

The other is prolly Wayne Negus, I’m betting! He was a neat ole fella! I ran into Rod at the NTA this year. I hadn’t seen him in prolly 25 years!

You're right. The other is Wayne Negus.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7495077
02/13/22 05:36 PM
02/13/22 05:36 PM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Here's the package I submitted for Don. If someone wants to resubmit it, go for it. I left off his phone number and address. If someone wants to resubmit, get up with me and I'll provide that info.

NTA Hall of Fame Nomination for Donald D. Shumaker

Full Name – Don D. Shumaker
Address -
Telephone Number –
Date of Birth – 09/26/1948
Place of birth – At home in Buckingham County, Virginia

Accomplishments:

1. Contributions to local, district, state and national organizations.

Served in various positions in the Virginia Trappers Association. Worked with NTA, FTA and many state associations while editing trappers publications. Donated time and money to many of them. Performed many demos at conventions. Has acted as a lobbyist to preserve our hunting and trapping rights on several fronts.

2. Contributions to trapper education, including information such as articles and books written for publication, etc.

Helped author the original trapper education manual for the V.T.A . Was the program director and instructor to teach the first group of instructors. Participated in many trapper education classes. Taught the basics of trapping to game warden trainees for the state of Virginia. He wrote numerous trapping articles (100’s) for many trapping and outdoor publications. He wrote one book, “Profitable Outdoor Ventures” and will soon publish a second one, titled “Woodsbum”.

3. Contributions to the Trapping Field.

He has always been involved with educating the public, landowners, trappers and other sportsmen in the ways of trapping methods and always stressed good ethics. This has been a lifelong commitment all over the country. He was the editor for the Trapper Magazine. He was the publisher and editor for Trapper’s World magazine.

4. Achievements and Accomplishments in the Trapping field.

He was inducted into the Virginia Trapper’s Hall of Fame. He has received several awards from various trapping organizations for work done to promote trapping. He was able to make most or all of his living by trapping, guiding, writing and teaching trapping most of his life. Has trapped for the USF & W Service, various state agencies, timber companies and cattlemen from the shores of the Atlantic Ocean to the Rocky Mountains. He has trapped bear, mountain lion, coyote, red and grey fox, bobcat, beaver, otter, coon, muskrat, skunk, mink, weasel, opossum, badger, swift fox, rabbits, squirrels and groundhogs.

5. Areas worked geographically.

Virginia, Nebraska, Montana, Arizona and New Mexico

6. True anecdotes and accomplishments made in the trapping field.

He caught his first animal in a trap, a groundhog, in a number one longspring trap when he was 6 years old. That same year he caught his first skunk, possum, muskrat and coon. His father and Uncle Marshall gladly helped him in his endeavors and even had to actually set some of the stronger springed traps for him to put in place. As he grew older, he set more traps and ranged further from home on foot trap lines. He caught his first mink around 1960 and his first fox, a red, shortly after that.

7. Family information, including ancestors and descendants.

Mother – Berta G. Shumaker
Father - Tommy G. Shumaker
Wife - Elizabeth C. Shumaker
Children – Felicia D. Taylor, (Stepdaughter)

8. Submit Photograph if available.

[Linked Image]

9. A brief life story of the nominee.

On September 26, 1948 he was born in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, in Buckingham County, Virginia. He was delivered by a midwife. Both parents were Christians and they were raised in the local Baptist Church.
His father was a trapper and so was one uncle who lived near them. All of his uncles were hunters, fishermen and true woodsmen. They were simple, country people who lived off the land, farming, trapping, hunting and logging. At a very early age he developed a fascination for all things wild and the woods were his home whenever he could take a break from farm chores and work. Meat for the table was home butchered beef, pork, venison, wild turkey, coons, groundhogs, squirrel, fish, rabbits, home grown chickens, quail, bear and even possum.
As a teenager, he was (and still am) consumed by trapping. Most of the money he ever had to spend on anything came from the proceeds of the sales of fur. His guns, ammo, fishing tackle, trapping supplies and some of his clothes were bought this way. His parents did not have money for such things. There were times when he got paid bounty money for removing groundhogs, foxes, crows and owls. While a teenager in high school, he caught the first otter that had been seen in years in his county. After that, he caught bobcats before people even knew any were around.
After high school he worked all over the U.S. for a gas pipeline construction company and fell in love with the west. They were laid off in the winter and he hunted and trapped for his living during the lay offs. In the late 60’s he was up for the draft so he joined the U.S. Marines with a buddy of his, and they were soon in the thick of the Vietnam War. He was wounded several times but much luckier than his friend who was killed over there.
After Vietnam, he worked at several jobs and even had a thriving business of his own for some time, but he was never happy or content with much of any of it. His heart, soul and body belonged to the woods, the waters and the places off the beaten path. He went back to the trapline full time as fur prices rose in the 70’s and was a happy man.
He was offered the job as editor of The Trapper and Predator Caller magazine took it and moved to Nebraska. It was a super job, a great experience, but he was still restless. He took a job back in Virginia as Executive Director for a program for the Department of Game and Fish. Another great job with great pay but he grew tired of politics, suits and neckties, living in the city and dining with governors, senators and movie stars. He went back to the woods and has been there ever since.
Guiding, trapping, writing, commercial fishing, training hounds and giving seminars have provided him with an often meager but happy living.
He went to college on his G.I. Bill but never saw any related job he really wanted, trapping was always his preferred game, whether it be for fur or ADC trapping. It is what he is – a trapper.

Nomination Submitted By_______Paul J. Dobbins____________

Signature_________________________________________________________

I am a member of the National Trappers Association. __X__YES

Address______208 Earl Dr.________________________
City___Goldsboro_____State_North Carolina_Zip____27530________

Telephone Number(s) 919-580-0621 (home)

Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7495105
02/13/22 05:57 PM
02/13/22 05:57 PM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Thanks for putting that up Paul, sad he's gone but a life well lived, if only half of us could be so lucky.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7495183
02/13/22 07:16 PM
02/13/22 07:16 PM
PA
Coon Duke Offline
trapper
Coon Duke  Offline
trapper

PA
In my opinion, “Hall of Fames” are more often than not farces. Folks are not there who should be and others are there and shouldn’t be. Just look at that crapshow that is the MLB HOF.

Last edited by Coon Duke; 02/13/22 07:17 PM.

~ PTA Life #482 - FTA - NTA ~

https://tstrapline.com/

https://youtube.com/@toddstrohecker
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: Coon Duke] #7495185
02/13/22 07:21 PM
02/13/22 07:21 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Coon Duke
In my opinion, “Hall of Fames” are more often than not farces. Folks are not there who should be and others are there and shouldn’t be. Just look at that crapshow that is the MLB HOF.

Rock HoF is the absolute worst.

Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7495188
02/13/22 07:24 PM
02/13/22 07:24 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
That's an outstanding trapping resume, and life that Don Shumaker lived...Very impressive.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited by Drifter; 02/13/22 08:23 PM. Reason: bypassing profanity filter.

Member - FTA
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7495800
02/14/22 09:40 AM
02/14/22 09:40 AM
TN
L
lcd Offline
trapper
lcd  Offline
trapper
L

TN
Any and all information that you can put on an application is very important. Especially any that had to do with any service a person may have had to the NTA. A lot of great trappers never make it into the NTA HOF simply because they did not work enough to help advance the mission of the NTA. And others simply because they did an awful lot of behind the scene's work that the committee might not know anything about. This kind of information is extremely important for the HOF committee to have when the names of a person is submitted. It is a shame that there are some very deserving trappers that are not in the NTA HOF for lack of information before the committee.

Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: yukon254] #7495833
02/14/22 10:25 AM
02/14/22 10:25 AM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Good info lcd, You would think that the trapping organizations would be looking to honor the trappers that had advanced trapping the most for the common good in any capacity.

Maybe I'm selfish, but for a organization to look past a worthy recipient because that person hadn't done enough to advance that particular associations brand seems a little short sighted.

Might be totally out of bounds with my ideas on the matter, but would just like to see the ones recognized
who had the most impact overall as the paramount hall of fame criteria.

Member - FTA
Re: NTA Hall of Fame ?? [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #7496020
02/14/22 01:55 PM
02/14/22 01:55 PM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Good info lcd, You would think that the trapping organizations would be looking to honor the trappers that had advanced trapping the most for the common good in any capacity.

Maybe I'm selfish, but for a organization to look past a worthy recipient because that person hadn't done enough to advance that particular associations brand seems a little short sighted.

Might be totally out of bounds with my ideas on the matter, but would just like to see the ones recognized
who had the most impact overall as the paramount hall of fame criteria.

If a great Trapper does not belong to or support a given Organization either State or National: How and why would the Organization recognize that Trapper??

The NHL does not recognize the or choose the NFL's Most Valuable Player, or decide who plays in the Pro bowl.

Last edited by Horn; 02/14/22 01:58 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread