No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7500541
02/18/22 01:25 PM
02/18/22 01:25 PM
North Central Wisconsin
S
skunkly Offline
trapper
skunkly  Offline
trapper
S

North Central Wisconsin
Boco, i can't tell with the pics: are the toes on those wrapped with something and or dowled/screwed/rivited?

"Let a King's offspring be sparing in words, and bold in battle; glad and wholesome the hero be till comes his dying day" The Sayings of Har: Havamal
Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7500629
02/18/22 02:55 PM
02/18/22 02:55 PM
North Central Idaho
Jumperzee Offline
trapper
Jumperzee  Offline
trapper

North Central Idaho
I use both, but prefer snowshoes. Skis are great if you've got a good trail that you can keep broken in but are terrible for traversing thru trees, brush or any kind of hill. You can pop the skis off and walk, but then you're post holing. Also, x-country ski boots aren't the best for hiking, or driving for that matter, if you're in and out of the truck a lot on your line. I've got a pair of Tubbs snowshoes and use them hard. My original pair blew out after 15 years and they replaced them for minimal cost. They're durable and can be strapped on/off quick without changing boots.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: jbrowtine] #7500699
02/18/22 03:56 PM
02/18/22 03:56 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by jbrowtine
I have been using a scaled base backcountry skiing set up. Wider than cross country skis and much better control in steeper terrain. Breaking trail in powder is much easier than snow shoes or xc skis. I just keep my toes clipped in “walk mode” and able to ski trap all day long comfortably. They run great on groomed trail and hard packed narrow forest service trails as well. Been impressed with the efficiency of these for over snow travel. One of the disadvantages would be a trap line repair(a boots or binding or if i broke a ski tip would be unlikely but difficult to fix miles from the trailhead) [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One of those marten became lunch.

Nevada bound
Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7501098
02/18/22 09:45 PM
02/18/22 09:45 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've only ever used snowshoes. Went through a few pairs. The best I've found for my use are no longer made. Cabela's used to sell an outfitter series snowshoe that was just a rebranded Atlas (even still said Atlas on it, but was never mentioned in info and when I asked a salesperson on the phone before I bought a pair who made them, they told me that they weren't at liberty to divulge. ??) that had the good ratchet bindings that you can do and undo quickly with gloves and stay tight, good solid decking (the woven stuff, or stuff with holes in it, doesn't work for me, I hike through too much brush and break too much trail, always getting limbs stuck through holes and tripping you up) and were well balanced so that the toe lifted and heel dropped when you lifted your foot without being too extreme, but I never had an issue with the toe going under the crust and tripping me up. They also had some spring to them like Boco describes (I'm sure not as good as his wood ones, but better than any other metal framed ones I've used) and good smooth stainless "claws" that gripped ice without having warm wet snow pack in them nearly as bad as the aluminum ones most snowshoes come with. On steep, icy/crusty ground I find those "claws" invalueable. Unfortunately I wore that pair out after about 10 years, actually wore through the decking from wearing them so much. Next pair I got were the same, except they had changed to a smaller lighter frame and I broke them. Lifetime guarantee but they had quit making them, so all I could do was get my money back. First pair I still have with the thought that if I can ever find the material they decked them with I will redo them myself. Now the only snowshoes I can find with the good ratchet bindings are various cheap chinese knockoffs. Which is what I am currently using, but I've tried about three different brands and I've got almost two years on my current pair, best I've done, but they look like the decking isn't going to last much longer, and none of them have been as comfortable or user friendly.

Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: Bruce T] #7501688
02/19/22 12:36 PM
02/19/22 12:36 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Originally Posted by jbrowtine
I have been using a scaled base backcountry skiing set up. Wider than cross country skis and much better control in steeper terrain. Breaking trail in powder is much easier than snow shoes or xc skis. I just keep my toes clipped in “walk mode” and able to ski trap all day long comfortably. They run great on groomed trail and hard packed narrow forest service trails as well. Been impressed with the efficiency of these for over snow travel. One of the disadvantages would be a trap line repair(a boots or binding or if i broke a ski tip would be unlikely but difficult to fix miles from the trailhead) [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One of those marten became lunch.

Nice

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7501740
02/19/22 01:33 PM
02/19/22 01:33 PM
Siberia 🐁
T
Tatiana Offline
"Mushroom Guru"
Tatiana  Offline
"Mushroom Guru"
T

Siberia 🐁
Doesn't anyone uses wide (7-8'') skis in North America, and moose leg hide skis in particular? Over here, virtually nobody uses snowshoes, except snowboarders and such. Good hunting skis have all the advantages of showshoes except you can move at 5mph easily....

Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7501875
02/19/22 04:26 PM
02/19/22 04:26 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Tatiana, I would have to dig for a picture of my own but used one of these a lot.

[Linked Image]

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7501926
02/19/22 05:32 PM
02/19/22 05:32 PM
Montana
D
D.T. Offline
trapper
D.T.  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
I agree with Tatiana and Jbro. With the right skis you can go further and faster than any snowshoe ever designed. In any depth snow.

Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7501952
02/19/22 06:11 PM
02/19/22 06:11 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
Boco, Thanks for the pictures. The intentional curve out at the tip is nice.

40 years ago my older brother and I used bear paws to grouse hunt in deep snow in upstate NY each year. They worked ok but I always thought a slimmer style would have worked better.

Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7501986
02/19/22 06:57 PM
02/19/22 06:57 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
[Linked Image]
The two pair on the left have Rottefella binding on them and I refinished the second pair from the left, and took off the old bear trap cable bindings. None of my skis will handle very deep snow. I like the Rottefella binding though, and I might make a pair, 10' long and 4-5 inches wide for deep , dry, forest snow.

Last edited by trapper les; 02/19/22 07:00 PM.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: Tatiana] #7501998
02/19/22 07:14 PM
02/19/22 07:14 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Tatiana
Doesn't anyone uses wide (7-8'') skis in North America, and moose leg hide skis in particular? Over here, virtually nobody uses snowshoes, except snowboarders and such. Good hunting skis have all the advantages of showshoes except you can move at 5mph easily....

I would be very interested to see a picture

I have seen some 4 to 4 1/2 inch skis but not many and not common

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7502099
02/19/22 08:56 PM
02/19/22 08:56 PM
Montana
D
D.T. Offline
trapper
D.T.  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
Voile skis

These are the skis I have similar to Jbro's 4ish at the waist 5 at the tips. Keep in mind, skiers trek/tour up mountains to ski back down them and powder is what they are after. Skis are definitely way more efficient in any condition in the backcountry, that said you need the right kind. Old cross country skis aren't made for powder, they are for groomers.

Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7502337
02/20/22 02:00 AM
02/20/22 02:00 AM
Siberia 🐁
T
Tatiana Offline
"Mushroom Guru"
Tatiana  Offline
"Mushroom Guru"
T

Siberia 🐁
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I would be very interested to see a picture

Here. This pair is made of Siberian pine wood (split, not sawn, for strength) by a Khanty craftsman. It's about 10 years old but still not much wear on it, except along the edge on the front part. The moose skins are sewn together with a nylon thread and glued to the skis with fish glue. Thanks to the stiff hairs you can trek up relatively steep slopes easily, because they don't slide backwards at all, and ski down, and the fur also makes them very quiet, which is necessary for stalking moose. This particular pair is about 5.5 feet long and 8 inches wide, which is enough to hold a total weight of ~200-220 pounds comfortably on any kind of snow. We use skis to check shorter traplines (up to 10 miles long) and for population surveying (which also usually involves 5-10 mile routes).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

the straps are very simple. The bag is tied around the leg above the boot and serves to prevent snow from getting under the soles, so that it doesn't creak. You can use such skis with any type of boots. I usually wear insulated EVA boots, but for moose stalking, people wear soft insulated boots made of tanned moose leather or furred reindeer leg skins, to reduce noise.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some people buy cheaper mass-market hunting skis, sold in all hunting/outdoors stores, usually made of thin aspen boards, and glue strips of moose leg skin to them. Some use cow and horse fur, but it doesn't work as well). Reindeer leg skins are also used sometimes; otter fur is a rare but also the most sought-after variant - otter skis are slightly less efficient for climbing steep hills, but they're also the quietest. There are also some commercial models made of laminated plywood with fur replaced by tufts of coarse hair glued into the lower surface, but I have no experience with them...

Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7502466
02/20/22 08:21 AM
02/20/22 08:21 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
what a great read I have all ways used snowshoe ,

Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7502884
02/20/22 02:25 PM
02/20/22 02:25 PM
North Central Wisconsin
S
skunkly Offline
trapper
skunkly  Offline
trapper
S

North Central Wisconsin
Great stuff Tatiana! Thanks for the pics and info.

"Let a King's offspring be sparing in words, and bold in battle; glad and wholesome the hero be till comes his dying day" The Sayings of Har: Havamal
Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7507041
02/24/22 01:24 AM
02/24/22 01:24 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I've heard a pole drag like this is a good early step in preparing a well groomed trail

[Linked Image]

Last edited by AJE; 02/24/22 01:24 AM.
Re: Snowshoes vs x country skis [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7510759
02/27/22 02:40 AM
02/27/22 02:40 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
1 thing that can make skis more effective is wax. Even the waxless skis (which are nice) can often benefit from glide wax properly placed on the skis

Last edited by AJE; 02/27/22 02:41 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread