No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Discernment has always been the key #7508625
02/25/22 10:52 AM
02/25/22 10:52 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

The days events don't read much different from yesteryear, depending on which yesteryear you prefer to use as your basis for "discernment."
Most dictionaries would list the definition of discernment as; the ability to judge well.
It seems discernment has always been the key...
to many outcomes. Outcomes which are "nouns" which describe the status and circumstance of the "subject" such as the lady (subject) being happy (noun) or sad or successful or a failure and on and on we could go.

With the advent of technology, information arrives at our laptop in a moment, so we receive information as no humans ever have before. Freaky fast.
With the rising and embracing of anti-intelligence on one side (the smart one is the geek and the jock is the admired) and the pressure overall to be an intelligent (colleges have all-time enrollment) there couldn't hardly be more confusion on how to judge well, who to judge well, where to judge well, and when.
So most people, caught in the grinder of politics polluting everything in sight, pick a side.
And then the new converts are conditioned and "told" by the group think of that particular side, that the other side is to be dismissed, despised and hated.
There is little to no individual discernment required in a group think. There is go along to get along.

No individual discernment. Has a nice ring to it for a tyrant bent on leading a people.
It is an age old tactic and it is alive and very very well in 2022.
Around the world and here in North America.

Discernment. The ability to judge well as an individual.
Realize, there are powerful people and forces who seek to dampen or eliminate our discerning ability.
It's a concept at a deep core level in every person.
And everyone can draw upon it or not.

Some of us pray for guidance because we realize the majority think in 2022 is group think, not individual discernment.
Discernment helps us to identify false teaching and false teachers in our government, in our schools, in our sciences, and especially in our churches.

And today, just as it was in the 1st century where the Apostle Paul is writing to the faithful in the region of Galatia, there are many wolves among the sheep.

I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel;
which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.
But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!
As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

Galatians 1:6-9

We pray all are able to discern.
For themselves, their loved ones, and those around them.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508631
02/25/22 10:58 AM
02/25/22 10:58 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Great post.

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508636
02/25/22 11:00 AM
02/25/22 11:00 AM
KY
ksp107 Offline
trapper
ksp107  Offline
trapper

KY
Love that post Mark!

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508639
02/25/22 11:03 AM
02/25/22 11:03 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Awesome Mark

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508643
02/25/22 11:09 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Great post. Thanks Mark

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508645
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
With the sheer volume of information out there and, as you said, the speed at which it can be found or delivered, it is ultra important for us to be able to discern.

Right from wrong.
Righteous from evil.
Truth from deception.

We cannot disconnect ourselves from the world and think our own unfounded opinions are correct. We must find information on both sides, watch or listen to them, and then discern what is righteous.

Good post.

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508716
02/25/22 12:06 PM
02/25/22 12:06 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Today's infinite amount of information is daunting so discernment needs a big sifter to sift through all the false teachers and all false teachings looking for truth, capital T.

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508718
02/25/22 12:12 PM
02/25/22 12:12 PM
South Central Kansas
KsTrapper88 Offline
trapper
KsTrapper88  Offline
trapper

South Central Kansas
Great post. Thanks for sharing

Derek
Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508741
02/25/22 12:46 PM
02/25/22 12:46 PM
KY
ksp107 Offline
trapper
ksp107  Offline
trapper

KY
]We cannot disconnect ourselves from the world and think our own unfounded opinions are correct. We must find information on both sides, watch or listen to them, and then discern what is righteous.

I think you are absolutely 100 percent spot on with this!!!!! Unfortunately, I dont think most realize this is what we do some of the time, myself included.... We put "labels" on people, then make our decisions based off of that label.... I hear it all the time in my workplace, which is 90% farmers...

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508775
02/25/22 01:29 PM
02/25/22 01:29 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Thanks for sharing.

Nevada bound
Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508838
02/25/22 02:35 PM
02/25/22 02:35 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Sure Bruce T.
Humans have been given conscious and so much more to help us with judging well in life.

It's incredible to witness how easily people let others discern for them.
Or don't trust themselves enough to discern their own truth seeking ability, so they rest upon other people's truth.
Or build their own truth upon sand which is not only shifting, but is quick. sand.
And they will sink pridefully into it.

I have learned much from end-of-life bedsides.
1st, I witness how many tell me they are judging better (clarity) during this time (they say), even amidst health issues.
And how some folks will never let go of their identity of toxic junk even as they shut their eyes for a final time.

It's why I posted here about discernment. Maybe we all could seek it now, rather than later.
Most will say, nah, I don't need it, or I already have it, or this is useless, or that's cool for other people.

But, to that is the Answer: Humans were always meant to use what is crafted within them.

I see people in hospice and palliative care struggling to answer questions rationally as all is ending. Literally.
Who is left behind. Who gets the assets. Who gets along with who. Who loves who. Who forgives. Who never will.
I didn't put a question mark after these because at end of life, for the person leaving us, these are no longer in question.
There is a simplicity, often a beautifulness, at the end of most people's lives where they tell me they are discerning better.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508867
02/25/22 02:59 PM
02/25/22 02:59 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand

All this world is fading away along with all that people crave

Just passin through
Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508936
02/25/22 04:24 PM
02/25/22 04:24 PM
South Central Kansas
KsTrapper88 Offline
trapper
KsTrapper88  Offline
trapper

South Central Kansas
Very true Larry

Derek
Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7508996
02/25/22 05:31 PM
02/25/22 05:31 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

It is typical for people, while turmoil rages, to try and avoid it.
We pray for discernment during these hard times in life.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7509023
02/25/22 06:10 PM
02/25/22 06:10 PM
South Central Kansas
KsTrapper88 Offline
trapper
KsTrapper88  Offline
trapper

South Central Kansas
Thanks Mark for the reminder,

“the harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few”

Derek
Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7509027
02/25/22 06:16 PM
02/25/22 06:16 PM
South Central Kansas
KsTrapper88 Offline
trapper
KsTrapper88  Offline
trapper

South Central Kansas
I need to say it’s easy to get discouraged reading everything that’s going on, but I am thoroughly encouraged by number of trappers here that will engage these topics biblically, thanks to you guys that have encouraged me whether you know it or not.

,Blessed be the tie the binds, our hearts in Christian love, the fellowship of kindred minds is like to that above,

Derek
Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7509041
02/25/22 06:27 PM
02/25/22 06:27 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Most everything in a humans life is based on this concept of learning, your words are a prefect example of your statement.

Any religion is another, war is another on and on it goes. Judgment comes from this terribly unreliable word, from those you trust who you don't know to those you do, who have a bias your not aware of.

One who seeks to learn and does so incorporating it, is by most standards a trusted individual, "if" others feel that trust to them selves, not everyone is going to do that as well as learn that fancy word or what it stands for, it is one of many learned standards not provided by birth to live from.

Some don't have that drive to learn but are just feeders to live on what's around them the best way they can, for an example the constant referral to the Bible for guidance, while many things in the bible are great for guidance, none can be proven with any kind of reference or actual fact to assure one it is in fact the written word of a worshiped Deity.

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7509056
02/25/22 06:39 PM
02/25/22 06:39 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

I tried to folla ya GritGuy, but ya stumped me as to the point you're pointing us to.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7509108
02/25/22 07:17 PM
02/25/22 07:17 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Typically as we we journey through life, mature and age we become in many ways more willing and able to listen and absorb. For me as I age and work on deepening my faith and that journey I find myself being more accepting and tolerant. Many feel acceptance to be a sign of lack of passion, commitment or a sign of weakness. To me it is just the opposite. Life well lived and thought out in many ways allows for one to live better as we age inspite of the physical demise our body goes through.
As Paul was citing all the false prophets and those who left quickly because the next sparkling moment did not come reminds me that we have had 2000 years or men tweaking the gospels and epistles. Now as I journey in life and faith I don't worry much about how divergent some become as long as the base is still intact. When the limbs become bigger then the base they will in time tear off. In many ways it is easier to find the one lost sheep then to try and bring back a group that has splintered off. They will create their own rationale for why they want to wander as they are. What are the main or real reasons for not being willing or able to live with or respect those that believe differently? Is it because we want to associate with those of similar principles or is it to be able to further diss or demean those with different principles. Faith is a journey and never complete for me and as I grow in faith I am better able to not only discern and accept others, I am able to take a much more rigorous judgement of my self and my beliefs and acceptance. Almost all behavioral traits of humans are on a continuous, connecting circle, which means if we choose to we can use the negative areas of those behaviors to use others as an excuse for our own actions. Fear is in my opinion the main driver of most if not all of our real behavioral actions. Fear takes on a whole host of expressions. Faith in a power greater than oneself is a good start in changing behavior. Repentance is a Greek word for "to turn around" I am human so making a 180 is not easy for me but turning in the other direction is a good place to start.

Bryce

Re: Discernment has always been the key [Re: ] #7509159
02/25/22 08:04 PM
02/25/22 08:04 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Mark just stating that everyone is not capable of learning what you think is necessary to
Live a good or bad life, or when they might do so choose not to use it

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread