Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: Davexx1] #7528069
03/14/22 03:41 PM
03/14/22 03:41 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Davexx1
I use Spartan cellular cameras on all of my active hog traps. Each hog trap is equipped with cellular wireless control units whereby I control the trap gates via my cell phone from home or anywhere in the world. I catch 99% of the hogs from home using that technology and save some money not having to make trips checking empty traps.. Using the cell cameras has numerous advantages. It allows me to be very selective of what is trapped, i.e. no unintended animals caught (deer). Also, I can identify and get an exact head count of my target group and then not trigger the gate until every one of that target group are inside of the enclosure. That all or nothing catch approach reduces the possibility of spooking hogs that are outside of the trap and causing them to avoid traps in the future. I can also see how animals react to the trap, bait, etc. and whether they avoid it or not.

I also have and use some Browning and Covert IR flash type cameras and have seen many deer, hogs, coon, coyotes and cats on those cameras. Some critters alert or spook, some don't. That may depend on the camera because some cameras make a barely audible click when snapping the picture. On a still night or in a quiet room, you can test your camera and hear the click. If you can hear it, so can the animals. Many of the critters get used to the camera and don't pay any attention to it. Coyotes are definitely the most spooky and do react to the click or red IR flash.

The IR cameras have a very brief faint red glow when they take a picture. Critters facing the camera quickly notice that. The black flash type cameras have no flash that a human can see, not sure if animals can see it or not, but those cameras get no reaction when the picture is taken.

Beware that when mounted high and facing downward, the camera sensor area and range are greatly reduced to a small area. In that case the camera would only trigger if the critter was inside that small area.

Frankly, I enjoy going to the woods regardless of what I am doing and I will never quit doing that whether using cameras or not, but the cameras reveal what is going on out there all day and all night when I am not there. You will see animals on the trail cameras that you would never see or know that were there. The cellular cameras allow you to see all of that from your home.

Hope this helps.
In your sentence, at

Dave

Funny you mention that about being able to catch from home or anywhere in the world. We we’re in El Paso to catch a flight back to GA after turkey hunting NM and the camera went off alerting me to activity. I normally consult the manager before releasing the gate but he couldn’t be reached. So from El Paso TX I hit the button and caught the boar we were after all the way down in SWGA. We had already caught a large sounder of sows and smaller pigs at that location.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 03/14/22 03:42 PM.
Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: BTLowry] #7528157
03/14/22 06:08 PM
03/14/22 06:08 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline OP
trapper
BTLowry  Offline OP
trapper
B

East Texas
I am still getting out every day, just not wasting 40-60min going to check a trap or 2 that may or may not have anything in them is all

I know the red glow IR scares coyotes due to video I have. Coyote was cool as a cucumber until it turned enough to notice the glow of the IR lights and then he bolted like a rocket

Not sure about mounting high up but all I need is the 5' diameter or so that would be the catch circle

Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: BTLowry] #7530809
03/17/22 02:04 PM
03/17/22 02:04 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Apparently this deer spotted my camera…
[Linked Image]

Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: Wanna Be] #7530914
03/17/22 04:44 PM
03/17/22 04:44 PM
Arkansas
F
Flattail1961 Offline
trapper
Flattail1961  Offline
trapper
F

Arkansas
I'm using some on beaver traps and they definitely save me time and travel. Just wait til u get a catch and then go retrieve. Clearly not practical running numerous traps but for a few they work great.

Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: BTLowry] #7531105
03/17/22 08:39 PM
03/17/22 08:39 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
[Linked Image]

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: BTLowry] #7531384
03/18/22 07:44 AM
03/18/22 07:44 AM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline
trapper

Warren County, PA
I recently set up 4 cams to monitor movement after the thaw. My buddy and I caught 6 from the location and things were getting slow… after a week with no beaver and nothing but ducks on camera we pulled our equipment.

Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: BTLowry] #7531622
03/18/22 12:11 PM
03/18/22 12:11 PM
CO/KS
S
sevensixtwo Offline
trapper
sevensixtwo  Offline
trapper
S

CO/KS
I have pics of yotes on my bushnell cameras and they dont indicate the yote was spooked. There are other pics where they appear to just be travelling on the path in front. I have it set to take 3 at a time also. I didnt have any traps set in front of them. Cameras around 4ft off the ground.

Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: BTLowry] #7531660
03/18/22 12:56 PM
03/18/22 12:56 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Online content
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Online Content
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
I have still pics where they do not appear spooked but the video taken by the same camera tells a totally different story a few seconds later. And even if the camera is one that might spook them, the direction of travel relative to the camera can increase or decrease the likelihood of them seeing the light and getting spooked. Quartering away or walking directly away is a good thing. Going toward the camera is not a good thing.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: BTLowry] #7531762
03/18/22 02:49 PM
03/18/22 02:49 PM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
I have never had a problem with coyotes coming directly toward my cameras dozens of times! I usually mount my cameras 4’-5’ off the ground and have had coyote come directly toward the camera to lure tests that I placed too close to the camera and the coyote would disappear from view beneath the camera. BTW, my cameras are always recording video, never taking photos!

Last edited by Seldom; 03/18/22 02:50 PM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: Seldom] #7532026
03/18/22 08:56 PM
03/18/22 08:56 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline OP
trapper
BTLowry  Offline OP
trapper
B

East Texas
Originally Posted by Seldom
I have never had a problem with coyotes coming directly toward my cameras dozens of times! I usually mount my cameras 4’-5’ off the ground and have had coyote come directly toward the camera to lure tests that I placed too close to the camera and the coyote would disappear from view beneath the camera. BTW, my cameras are always recording video, never taking photos!

Do your cameras have the black flash or the red glowing LED arrays?
The reactions I get are the ones with glowing LEDs
I can post pictures just fine but no idea how to post videos without going through something like youtoob

Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: BTLowry] #7532082
03/18/22 09:43 PM
03/18/22 09:43 PM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
My cameras are the Browning Spec Ops Model BTC-8A with what they call are invisible IR LEDs

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: How many use cell cameras to monitor traps? [Re: BTLowry] #7532111
03/18/22 10:25 PM
03/18/22 10:25 PM
central Illinois
yoteguts Offline
trapper
yoteguts  Offline
trapper

central Illinois
Browning dark ops extreme here. Zero problems with yotes. These cameras were mounted very low right in their face. Hundreds of close vids over the years.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm itchin' to see a coyote twitchin'.

More trappin' and less yappin'.

Member FTA & USSA.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91