Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Culvert Beaver Trappers(Paul,and Jackie) Help! [Re: warrior] #753745
06/13/08 10:28 PM
06/13/08 10:28 PM
Maine
S
shorthair Offline
trapper
shorthair  Offline
trapper
S

Maine
I like to start with the simplest approach first, atleast to me, and set a couple of castor mound sets and/or bank bait set. I'll use a small poplar/aspen, drive it into the shore line, score it, and rub a little castor on it. I set 2 footholds per set, both conected to one chain and a window weight a foot below the second trap. I set one for a front and one for a rear foot catch. If I miss one, i'll usually connect on the other and often get both. After I take a couple of beaver then I'll bust open the dam to see if any come back to fix it. After 3 days and no repair, I'll pull out. I occastionally use a baited 330 or snare if I can get permission from the warden or biologist. That is a last resort though because I don't want to take any otter. If you are waiting on permits or something take a walk down and leave a couple good size popplers and check on them the next day. If they're gone you know to use the baited set right off. If this is your first time using footholds in open water, be patient. Seemed like it took me for ever to get trap placement down, especially setting on the dam. Had a lot of snapped traps. Good luck and keep us posted.

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my traps for what I said I paid for them."
Re: Culvert Beaver Trappers(Paul,and Jackie) Help! [Re: shorthair] #753747
06/13/08 10:30 PM
06/13/08 10:30 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Or you could just rip the dam out and sit with a gun and spotlight, lol.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Culvert Beaver Trappers(Paul,and Jackie) Help! [Re: Jtrapper] #753844
06/13/08 11:36 PM
06/13/08 11:36 PM
West Al
D
dnew Offline
trapper
dnew  Offline
trapper
D

West Al
Think I'd catch as many as I could, and depending on the water level, drain the creek and set for the last ones coming to retain their water. Depends on the natural water level in creek. If You can't shoot, set the dens after the dam break if that is legal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91