No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558128
04/14/22 12:45 PM
04/14/22 12:45 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
One of the nasty little CRP regs that is in most contracts is if your land in CRP in a 10 year contract and you sell in year 8, if the new owner decides he/she is no longer interested and will turn the land back to crops in year 8 (or 9), the original owner who entered the CRP contract has to repay all the fed cash under that program he/she has gotten. That is why selling deeds that have CRP contracts in place often has 2 different prices per acre based on the next supposed land use or are very specific that new owner can't convert out of CRP without getting sued my the former owner. A fricking mess, but the lawmakers and bureaucrats don't have to live the pain

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558170
04/14/22 01:47 PM
04/14/22 01:47 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content OP
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content OP
trapper
J

Ky
https://www.weichert.com/104810446/

Here is one property I passed on because of no water. The spring in the pics is sulphur water .The closest water line was over 4200 ft away and I was going to have to pay to install plus pay an easement of 5,000.Got an estimate for 18,000 bucks for the water line install When I looked at it in dec of 2019 it was listed for 210,000 , it sold for 205,000 The CRP contract was 4700 per year for 15 years As you can see from the listing it runs thru 2027.The guy that had it listed when I looked at it paid . ARE YOU LISTENING all you nay sayers ??!! 86,900 for it in 2011 . So the CRP is going to pay back 70,000 of his purchase price IF he had kept it. It was covered up with deer but there is a hunting club that joins up to it.

Last edited by jbyrd63; 04/14/22 02:00 PM.
Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558179
04/14/22 01:52 PM
04/14/22 01:52 PM
Ky
J
trapper
trapper
J

Ky
As for the CRP amount this listing is getting 130.55 per acre per year ..... Do the math if you can ???? LOL LOL 4700 divided by 36 (number of acres enrolled) =130.55 dollars per year per acre. But if he had signed all the fields up Jackpot paid for !!!!!

Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558263
04/14/22 03:05 PM
04/14/22 03:05 PM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO
I've dealt with a ton of CRP over the last 20 years, both privately and professionally. First thing , CRP rental rates fluctuate tremendously across the country. The payment is based on soil productivity and cash rent prices in the county. Out west rates might be under $20/acre. In eastern U.S. obviously they are much higher. Also, one has to realize that there are multiple variations of the program nationwide, from garden variety CRP to CRP SAFE (State acres for enhancement) to CREP (conservation reserve enhancement program). Generally speaking creps pay the highest rates and they are often a partnership between farm service agency and a state agency. I believe the SD opportunity originally described is the James river watershed crep.

So the owner would get payments from the federal gov. & state of south dakota, but it is limited to a project area, not statewide. SD is leveraging public access for hunting for the life of the deep contract. There is generally no wiggle room on the public access if that is part of the proposal, so its not as easy as "have the feds build me a hunting spot" concept. Is it a good deal? Yea it probably is although landowners tell me all the time they can make more cropping the land.

CRP is going to pay much less than crep. out here you are looking at $50/acre or less, for ground that costs ~1500\acre or more. Its tricky cause you can't be guaranteed of getting the land into crp. Lots of homework required and several missteps along the way get real expensive if you don't know what you are doing. Commonly you have to own the land for more than a year before you can apply for CRP. Lots of investors got burned on that over the years in which there were no CRP signup periods. Again do some research. Back in the day before land prices went crazy, it worked very well. Today you could be very good during your contract if you funnel 100% of your payment back into the purchase loan. Lots of guys hit the wall in year 11 or 12 if the contract doesn't get renewed.

Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558361
04/14/22 04:39 PM
04/14/22 04:39 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Generally speaking creps pay the highest rates and they are often a partnership between farm service agency and a state agency. I believe the SD opportunity originally described is the James river watershed crep.

Thanks Ringneck1. The mist starts to clear higher with more details in place. I never saw or heard that the specific thing jaybird showed in FFG specifically mentioned James River valley farmland. That would make sense that annual payments could be up to $188 per acre (the James River is in the eastern side of the state, east-of-center of what we call "East River"). Highly productive cropland but perhaps not as high of yields as the very eastern south-to-north column of counties from Sioux City (yeah I know that's Iowa but's on the border) up through Brookings. The "Jim" River through South Dakota has some of the lowest grade drop per mile of any similar length river in the U.S. so yes, water quality is of concern so that is why the SD DNR (who deal with water quality issues and not wildlife per se) would be "partners" with USDA FSA.

If this is actually an announcement for CREP CRP along the Jim, then the overall amount of land even eligible is limited so its not just "any" landowner that can sign up. Another factor in play is that a good number of the multi-family Hutterite "colonies" farming operations have land along the Jim, and is highly doubtful that they would sign any of their land up. The bottom line for those boys is the main thought and getting tied up with government strings attached for atleast 10 years would be another major turn off to those Germans. It will be interesting to see if any more public access parcels along that river show up in the 2022 SD Hunting Atlas that comes out late August. Next year probably more actual new habitat.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558384
04/14/22 05:10 PM
04/14/22 05:10 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Here you get paid to plant it then if it gets dry you can cut it is what happens often here, I just shake my head. Its not just any land is what they say, its suppose to be land at risk of erosion. That said I see very little use of it here in the winter you can stand in the intersection of farm sections of land and not see a weed for a mouse to hide behind.

In fact with bigger operators are taking over more and more acres here and that has reduced habitat cover greatly in the last decade I’ve noticed. When paid hunting was the new cash crop we had more habitat but then that dropped off and that ended pretty quickly.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558451
04/14/22 06:52 PM
04/14/22 06:52 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
https://www.weichert.com/104810446/

Here is one property I passed on because of no water. The spring in the pics is sulphur water .The closest water line was over 4200 ft away and I was going to have to pay to install plus pay an easement of 5,000.Got an estimate for 18,000 bucks for the water line install When I looked at it in dec of 2019 it was listed for 210,000 , it sold for 205,000 The CRP contract was 4700 per year for 15 years As you can see from the listing it runs thru 2027.The guy that had it listed when I looked at it paid . ARE YOU LISTENING all you nay sayers ??!! 86,900 for it in 2011 . So the CRP is going to pay back 70,000 of his purchase price IF he had kept it. It was covered up with deer but there is a hunting club that joins up to it.

Doesn't matter what it sold for in 2011. What matters is what the land is worth today and what the crp rent payment is. Here at least crp payments is about a 25 to 30 year payoff if the rates never go up and they won't for the life of a 15 year contract. There is more money in cash renting to a farmer. If it was such a great deal, like other say investment firms would be gobbling up land and enrolling it and farmers would take whatever they can out of production and put it into crp. I live in a fairly small county land mass wise and we have lost about 40,000 acres of CRP since the 2005 or so. That is reason enough for me to believe it's not the be all to end all.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558476
04/14/22 07:28 PM
04/14/22 07:28 PM
Ky
J
trapper
trapper
J

Ky
Never said it was! If you see my reasoning for it is to help pay fir a week end getaway or a peice of hunting property . My pointing out the example of the 112 acres is the farmer at the time that signed it up would have gotten 70,000 of his initial 89,000 dollar invest while still having 76 of his acres to do what ever he wanted !Yes part of that was woods but deer and rabbits love that grown up old fields .

Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558508
04/14/22 07:55 PM
04/14/22 07:55 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Lot of erroneous information and the posts just keep coming. When checking out the prices per acre and how much they make, contact the local FSA office and the NCRS offices and see how much the land owners need to invest to get the correct ground cover and when they have to get that done by etc. As stated above CRP payments are based on crop productivity for the soil type and then factored into the going land rental rates for the soil types in the county or region. If these prices are so good then why did we lose millions of acres when the corn and bean prices hit the highs in 2014? The CRP benefits the land owner with the least productive and or most fragile soil types the most and that is the base for which the program was created. As with any program with money involved there will be land owners that benefit greatly. Checking SD subsidy payments many years ago the largest recipients of CRP payments in SD were banks as they repossessed hundreds of thousands of acres in the late 90s and early 2000s when many farmers lost their land.

Bryce

Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558599
04/14/22 09:39 PM
04/14/22 09:39 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
geez....
And he's off again! crazy

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558680
04/14/22 10:52 PM
04/14/22 10:52 PM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
J quit digging your self deeper. You simply do not understand. Of course, those who live it and have witnessed it our whole lives know nothing in your mind. Give it up, do you think that anybody would risk planting and harvesting if they could just kick back and let the government pay for their property. I know already, I’m wrong I’m sure! Lol. As a matter of fact, put your money where your mouth is, there is an auction just north of me about 45 miles that has about 1600 acres up for auction in a week or so. Think of all the hunting ground you could rule over! Hurry up don’t be late. You can have it all paid off by 2037!

Long live the MAGA King
Re: Buy in SD land feds pay for it [Re: jbyrd63] #7558726
04/15/22 12:07 AM
04/15/22 12:07 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
I hope he has a fat checkbook!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread