Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Couple questions on collecting fresh urine. #7560432
04/16/22 02:43 PM
04/16/22 02:43 PM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline OP
trapper
Slipknot  Offline OP
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
I am going to put up a coyote for a few days to collect some urine for my summertime trapping. So I have a few things I would like to ask.

1.Urine preferred from a male or female coyote.
2.What would be a good diet for the coyote meat ,scraps or dog food or does it matter.
3.Could you add a small amount of salt to the food to maybe increase water intake to increase urine production.
4.After urine is collected what is the process for putting it up to keep it fresh.

Re: Couple questions on collecting fresh urine. [Re: Slipknot] #7560463
04/16/22 03:06 PM
04/16/22 03:06 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have used male only and female only. Most trapping situations it doesn't make a big difference as to which is better. Unless you have extra holding pens I would mix them together. Better make sure your animals get along and that your pens are built to be chew and escape proof. They will work your pens over, you need to check them daily.

This time of year you have missed the best collection months.I have always collected mixed sex urine and done well with it.

The best diet is that of mixed wild game if available. Muskrats, Nutria, rabbits, groundhogs, venison, chicken are all good .

Dog food will alter the final odor,color and strength of the urine. I wouldn't add salt to their food personally. They will drink enough water naturally as needed, so be sure to keep it available. Keep your water cans outside of the pen so they don't spill excess water into your collection process and keep your pens covered from the elements if set up outdoors and not under roof.

Strain the urine very well and keep the feces out of your collection process and any blood. Good clean urine will last a long time, if not indefinitely, if stored properly. You can freeze it depending whether you have room for it and are allowed. smile Summer urine, poor diets and warm collection temps can sour some urine over time..

Short term collection you may be fine at this time of year.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91