No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bible Edition #7576239
05/04/22 12:06 AM
05/04/22 12:06 AM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline OP
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline OP
trapper
B

WI
I’ve been wondering lately…are there different versions of the Bible? Or are they all the same?

Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576255
05/04/22 01:06 AM
05/04/22 01:06 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
There are many different translations, and editions of the Bible. The word Bible by definition means book. Assuming you're speaking of the Holy Bible or Christian Bible. Most Bible versions today, I guess you could call them the new version's, NASB, NIV, NKJV, ASV, the list is quite long. Come from codex vadicanous, codex syinadicous, Alexandrion text, I'm sure I butchered some spelling, the kjv King James version or AV Atherised version come from the textes receptus or received text. The kjv is the oldest of the translations of the ones I mentioned. I believe, this translations was finished in 1611 its probably the oldest translation being used today. The new versions have been translated and updated as more writings have been discovered. Most of the translations have core of the teachings of God and Jesus in common in the old and New testimant. There plenty of disagreements between wich one are More accurate. To long to go in to hear .

Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576257
05/04/22 01:08 AM
05/04/22 01:08 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Edit - Giant, we must have been typing simultaneously.

There are many different versions. Some are considered more or less accurate by scholars. They are based upon different translations sponsored by various patrons over the years. For example, the King James Bible was sponsored by King James.

Personally, I prefer the New International Version published by Zondervan. It is supposed to be a translation from the original text by Bible scholars directly into modern language.

I will stop here and leave further coverage to our resident theologian.
So without further adieu, take it away Mark . . . .

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576270
05/04/22 02:26 AM
05/04/22 02:26 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Online content
trapper
waggler  Online Content
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
The versions I stay away from are those that are published by any one particular sect (denomination).
Those versions invariably have a bias twist.

I also stay away from "translations" that were complied by one person; again, subject to bias. Better are those that were put together by biblical scholars from more diverse backgrounds. Those mentioned by G Sage above are trustworthy.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576284
05/04/22 05:55 AM
05/04/22 05:55 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
i find a lot of the "newer" translations to be watered down. just changeing a word here and there really changes the whole meaning.

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: Bible Edition [Re: cotton] #7576288
05/04/22 06:15 AM
05/04/22 06:15 AM
Va. Lee Co.
D
Donnie H Offline
trapper
Donnie H  Offline
trapper
D

Va. Lee Co.
What Cotton said

Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576291
05/04/22 06:20 AM
05/04/22 06:20 AM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
I prefer the ESV (English Standard Version) translation as it is considered as close to the original Greek as it can get. Everyone has their favorites it seems. I recommend a translation done by a team of Bible scholars and not just one person.

Re: Bible Edition [Re: cotton] #7576300
05/04/22 06:48 AM
05/04/22 06:48 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by cotton
i find a lot of the "newer" translations to be watered down. just changeing a word here and there really changes the whole meaning.

Newer than what?

Re: Bible Edition [Re: cotton] #7576330
05/04/22 07:39 AM
05/04/22 07:39 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by cotton

Like the "New World Translation" (Transformation) ????

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576352
05/04/22 08:14 AM
05/04/22 08:14 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I mostly use KJV. Other translations on occasion. I think getting a large print Bible is a bigger issue than being dead set on a certain translation. Anyone else notice that Christian bookstores are becoming hard to find? At least in my neighborhood.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576372
05/04/22 08:35 AM
05/04/22 08:35 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
"the Bible" wasn't originally written in English, it wasn't all one book, and there wasn't chapter and verse. It's a collection of letters, stories, history, and such handed down over time, written by many people in a few different languages, all inspired by God. If you really want to understand it, read whatever version suits your fancy, but also look at the original text in it's original language. That can help greatly with comprehending what the author is trying to convey, along with learning about the culture and tradition of the author at the time it was written.

Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576376
05/04/22 08:39 AM
05/04/22 08:39 AM
Southern Maryland
C
chuck in MD Offline
trapper
chuck in MD  Offline
trapper
C

Southern Maryland
I believe and exclusively use the King James Version.

Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576420
05/04/22 09:47 AM
05/04/22 09:47 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
All modern english version with the exception of the KJV are based on the work of two fellows named Wescott and Hort. When you compare the modern versions with the KJV you will find a lot of differences. The newer versions have something like 5000 fewer words.

Wescott and Hort relied heavily on two manuscripts, the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus manuscripts. These two manuscripts dont even agree with each other. There is a lot of evidence that leads one to believe that Wescott and Hort were not even christians.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Bible Edition [Re: yukon254] #7576428
05/04/22 10:00 AM
05/04/22 10:00 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by yukon254
All modern english version with the exception of the KJV are based on the work of two fellows named Wescott and Hort. When you compare the modern versions with the KJV you will find a lot of differences. The newer versions have something like 5000 fewer words.

Wescott and Hort relied heavily on two manuscripts, the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus manuscripts. These two manuscripts dont even agree with each other. There is a lot of evidence that leads one to believe that Wescott and Hort were not even christians.

whistle

Re: Bible Edition [Re: BvrRetriever] #7576514
05/04/22 11:56 AM
05/04/22 11:56 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

It's a rather deep topic but 1st of all we're blessed that God revealed Himself through His Holy Scripture.
We're fun here in the West as it's known. We have so many versions, we squabble over which one while other cultures would sure appreciate anything written in their language.
We shouldn't squabble if we know the history of Scripture at all.

The Church's doctrine of all orthodox; defined as right thinking denominations reads the same, that Scripture is inspired (God breathed) and inerrant (without error) IN ITS ORIGINAL LANGUAGES.
English is not one of them.

Back to ministry I go....

The world is broken and my-o-my how we wrongly put that on display when we haggle over a Bible version.... skipping right on over the One Who wrote it for us in the 1st place.... so that we might know Him.

Be blessed y'all!
Mark

Re: Bible Edition [Re: ] #7576522
05/04/22 12:06 PM
05/04/22 12:06 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by Mark June
It's a rather deep topic but 1st of all we're blessed that God revealed Himself through His Holy Scripture.
We're fun here in the West as it's known. We have so many versions, we squabble over which one while other cultures would sure appreciate anything written in their language.

The Church's doctrine of all orthodox; defined as right thinking denominations reads the same, that Scripture is inspired (God breathed) and inerrant (without error) IN ITS ORIGINAL LANGUAGES.

The world is broken and my-o-my how we wrongly put that on display when we haggle over the meaning and hop right past the One Who wrote it for us.... so that we might know Him.

Be blessed y'all!
Mark

I have been guilty of taking our liberties for granted. We are blessed to have the freedoms we have.

Re: Bible Edition [Re: ] #7576542
05/04/22 12:35 PM
05/04/22 12:35 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia

The world is broken and my-o-my how we wrongly put that on display when we haggle over a Bible version.... skipping right on over the One Who wrote it for us in the 1st place.... so that we might know Him.

Be blessed y'all!
Mark

Well said.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Bible Edition [Re: chuck in MD] #7576543
05/04/22 12:36 PM
05/04/22 12:36 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by chuck in MD
I believe and exclusively use the King James Version.

I enjoy reading Shakespeare, so I guess it's no surprise I'd be a fan of the KJV. The use of language is similar. I've never had a hard time understanding it and being hard to understand seems to be the biggest complaint against it. God has used it to bring countless souls to salvation since 1611. It's what I use and trust.

Re: Bible Edition [Re: Giant Sage] #7576544
05/04/22 12:38 PM
05/04/22 12:38 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Giant Sage

The world is broken and my-o-my how we wrongly put that on display when we haggle over the meaning and hop right past the One Who wrote it for us.... so that we might know Him.

Be blessed y'all!
Mark

I have been guilty of taking our liberties for granted. We are blessed to have the freedoms we have.

We're all guilty GS.... and saved by His Grace alone. Your humble comments exhibit that and as one brother to another, thank you.
Teach it and do not stop.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Bible Edition [Re: ] #7576554
05/04/22 12:46 PM
05/04/22 12:46 PM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin

Be blessed y'all!
Mark

Amen..

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread