No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Trapping as a business #7581318
05/10/22 01:11 PM
05/10/22 01:11 PM
Ky
K
Kytrapper2012 Offline OP
trapper
Kytrapper2012  Offline OP
trapper
K

Ky
Im thinking I wana start some kind of trapping for profit. Ive been trapping coon and possum since i was a kid. ( I'm 28 now). And I've ran a trap line with 40-50 traps every year for the past 5-6 years or so. However, I have no idea how to even charge for something like that or to set that up as a business and market it or even get my name out there. Any body have any advice on how a young guy could take a hobby like this and turn it into a profitable little business in ky?

Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581387
05/10/22 03:22 PM
05/10/22 03:22 PM
MICHIGAN
WANNABE-TRAPPER Offline
trapper
WANNABE-TRAPPER  Offline
trapper

MICHIGAN
Are you saying you want to earn money taking people out to trap?

Think beyond right or left don't be guilty of group think.
Re: Trapping as a business [Re: WANNABE-TRAPPER] #7581401
05/10/22 04:01 PM
05/10/22 04:01 PM
Ky
K
Kytrapper2012 Offline OP
trapper
trapper
K

Ky
Not really. Its just over the past few years, ive had family friends and co workers ask me to set traps around thier chicken houses and set cage traps in thier attics. I usually trap for my own enjoyment every November- January. But doing it year around and making money at it would be a nice alternative to my traps hanging on the wall in the garage ya know.

Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581407
05/10/22 04:13 PM
05/10/22 04:13 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Get a book on making a business plan is a good start. Unless your already experienced at home remodeling you might want to get a job and get some experience at it. A huge part of solving animal problems is repair and exclusion of homes and out buildings. Once you get the background done you will have to start with the cost of overhead. Dont forget the expense of insurance, getting bonded, and whatever local permits you need.

Could start also by getting a job with a nuisance company.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581468
05/10/22 05:57 PM
05/10/22 05:57 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Kytrapper2012
Not really. Its just over the past few years, ive had family friends and co workers ask me to set traps around thier chicken houses and set cage traps in thier attics. I usually trap for my own enjoyment every November- January. But doing it year around and making money at it would be a nice alternative to my traps hanging on the wall in the garage ya know.

First clue you don't know enough, yet. Cage traps inside attics is a major no no.

Check out NWCOA and consider their Operators Course work if your doing any trading in and around structures. Otherwise stick to chicken coops

[Linked Image]
Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581470
05/10/22 06:03 PM
05/10/22 06:03 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Next clue, you fail to mention whether your state has separate licensing/permitting/testing for what is essentially for hire trapping.

Lots of homework is in order before you can plan to start setting steel for hire

And that's just the trap side. What about business license, insurance, incorporation LLC vs S Corp vs sole proprietorship, marketing, market demographics, etc, etc....

[Linked Image]
Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581473
05/10/22 06:06 PM
05/10/22 06:06 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Warrior, just out of curiosity why is a cage in an attic a no-no? The extent of my nuisance control experience is when I trapped beavers in exchange for permission to also trap coyotes, and caging raccoons that were bothering my aunts chickens

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581481
05/10/22 06:20 PM
05/10/22 06:20 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Ever seen what a raccoon can drag into a cage? Now imagine that cage within reach of romex or phone/cable wire under insulation. That same cage on the other side of the roof decking could get the shingles stripped by a reaching raccoon.

Caging inside can be done but it's a lower percentage set and special precautions are required.

Besides, consider attics are shelter not food source. Grey squirrels and raccoons go out to eat. Rats and Flying squirrels cache their food in the attic so cages in attic if you want for those but snaps are better.

Matter of fact I never set foot into an attic with a raccoon until I have the problem animal in possession. Two reasons, I won't wrangle with a coon while standing on ceiling joists and that coon is usually mama with kittens and she just as likely to bury them deeper into the structure than flee when her attic is invaded. No, I want to go stealth mode catch her unawares out in the yard at the base of the downspout she's using before even thinking of going in after the kittens.

[Linked Image]
Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581487
05/10/22 06:25 PM
05/10/22 06:25 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Another issue with cages in attics.

Homeowner must be home to gain access. Trap in the yard can be checked when they are not home.

Profitability in urban structural trapping means setting up routes and efficiency. Consider it long lining in traffic.

[Linked Image]
Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581510
05/10/22 07:21 PM
05/10/22 07:21 PM
Southeast KY
K
K91773 Offline
trapper
K91773  Offline
trapper
K

Southeast KY
Go to KYDFWRs website, there is a section there about nuisance wildlife control and there used to be a study guide for the test as well, the license is an annual license but you only have to test for the first one. Obviously you will need business licenses for where you are working at along with the appropriate insurance. Unless something has changed if you are doing exclusions that are much more than putting up some wire mesh, or significant repairs to the structure you will also need a contractor's license.

Also, if you are in a rural area, people don't like to pay for your services, they watch all the TV shows and think fur is worth a lot of money so they offer to let you keep the pelts. Many people will also want you to relocate the animal rather than killing it, this is not legal in KY the animal must be killed or released on site.

Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581574
05/10/22 08:21 PM
05/10/22 08:21 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Thanks for the explanation warrior, I had never considered all that. Makes a lot of sense now that you spelled it out that way lol

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Trapping as a business [Re: warrior] #7581883
05/11/22 08:35 AM
05/11/22 08:35 AM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
Originally Posted by warrior

Profitability in urban structural trapping means setting up routes and efficiency. Consider it long lining in traffic.

I am stealing that saying......not even going to give you credit for it. grin

Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581939
05/11/22 11:15 AM
05/11/22 11:15 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
ADC and fur trapping is not the same thing. Has a totally different feel to it. A lot of guys who like trapping seasonal won't do much ADC (I've become one of them).

Working for an ADC outfit is a great learning experience. Good and bad. I'd stay away from the big corporate ones, however. They run some shady stuff. You don't want that mentality to be the "norm" for you.

One bad thing about many ADC outfits is you'll have to sign a "Do no compete" Clause. This can extend years past your employment with them.

If you just want to make a little extra cash from what you know, Most states have an online form to set up your own LLC. Check out your "Secretary of State" site. Usually set up is less than $100.

You'll likely have to get another tax person. Many don't do business taxes (and most trappers never claim any). Don't follow other trappers into this risky hole. You can tally "expenses" and "income" on a sheet of paper if you want. Trappers who do this realize quickly how little money they make and how much they actually lose during a season. Well when we had a fur market that is.

I'm with Warrior on the cage coon. The things they can drag through a cage trap wire is truly impressive. Sometimes there's no room for the coon. Even outside, keep those cage traps far out of reach from anything valuable (unless you're good at fixing siding and cut power cables).

Personally, I'd steer away from many calls. Gophers, moles and squirrels are abit more foolproof and pay well without many of the other issues. And never start a beaver job unless you're really good at catching every LAST smart beaver. And in regards to beaver, always ask if someone else has tried to get them before they called you. Lots of guys (and all of the USDA trappers it seems) will leave you one or two smart ones. These ones are different than the rest.

Good luck, young man.

Last edited by Calvin; 05/11/22 11:23 AM.
Re: Trapping as a business [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581974
05/11/22 12:38 PM
05/11/22 12:38 PM
Ky
K
Kytrapper2012 Offline OP
trapper
trapper
K

Ky
Thanks for the advice warrior. I never really thought about it that way. But ive only ever got 2 racoons out of one of my parents old farm houses. And it was clear they were coming up into the attic. But i never caught them in the house. The way I ended up getting them is by setting a cage trap on Thier back porch with a can a sardines in it. Because I found a hole where it looked like a critter was tearing up the insulation. I just kinda guessed I'd get him on his way out to get food. But I just assumed they brought thier food up in attics with them, and just stockpiled it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread