No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Competitive shooting #7602176
06/10/22 01:54 PM
06/10/22 01:54 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
How many here shoot competitively?

I mostly shoot 3 gun. But this last year of shot a lot of IDPA. It always amazes me how difficult it is to get friends who are firearms enthusiasts to even try one match. I understand that the current expense can be prohibitive for some, but none of these guys would try it when ammo was affordable. When they tell me they can't part with the ammo, I simply tell them "The better I am, the less I'll need".

Since I started shooting matches, my gun handling has improved, and my ability to shoot accurately and make decisions under stress has improved tenfold.

If you carry a pistol for defensive purposes you owe it to yourself to shoot at least 1 IDPA match. It will show you who you really are.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602180
06/10/22 01:59 PM
06/10/22 01:59 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

I love shooting IDPA, I also participate in the GSSF matches from time to time.

I agree, it is hard to get folks to want to shoot and become proficient with their firearm.

3-gun is awesome by the way, my brother shoots 3-gun a lot and it is a blast.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602186
06/10/22 02:05 PM
06/10/22 02:05 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

For those that are wondering here is a video of an IDPA shoot.

Not my video, but it was filmed at the range I'm a member of. They do IDPA matches every Wednesday and the first and third Saturday of the month. Come on down if y'all want to shoot sometime.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602192
06/10/22 02:15 PM
06/10/22 02:15 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Smallbore silhouette occasionally.

And oldest son and I have tried a few bowling pin matches.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602199
06/10/22 02:49 PM
06/10/22 02:49 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
I shot idpa for a while. Shot all the stages at a 1/2 speed pace and used it as a training tool.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602211
06/10/22 03:05 PM
06/10/22 03:05 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
competitive pistol for 25 years became a job rather then fun met great people they got old too

olden tyred
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602260
06/10/22 04:26 PM
06/10/22 04:26 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Wallace
How many here shoot competitively?

I mostly shoot 3 gun. But this last year of shot a lot of IDPA. It always amazes me how difficult it is to get friends who are firearms enthusiasts to even try one match. I understand that the current expense can be prohibitive for some, but none of these guys would try it when ammo was affordable. When they tell me they can't part with the ammo, I simply tell them "The better I am, the less I'll need".

Since I started shooting matches, my gun handling has improved, and my ability to shoot accurately and make decisions under stress has improved tenfold.

If you carry a pistol for defensive purposes you owe it to yourself to shoot at least 1 IDPA match. It will show you who you really are.

I know exactly what you mean , 3gun , USPSA pistol , club level action pistol , we do some informal small bore shoots at my other club we have one this weekend that is Appleseed format 4 stages standing , transition to seated, transition to prone , and slow fire prone.

we did a few club bowling pin matches.

even just getting people together for some training running drills and such is hard.

the 3 gun match last weekend got rained out , this weekend we have the Appleseed style informal shoot at the club next weekend is USPSA

I started with club action pistol and made some big gains in skill , I chased speed for a bit then I chased good practice and was running from concealment with my carry rig some times even spare mag in off side pocket and not on belt
I got people asking if I was going to shoot tonight , then my name was called and I produced the gun no one had seen and ran the stage , it was excellent practice

I have always focused on trying to shoot it clean and let the speed be what it was , I mean I still tried to move but I wanted clean reasonably quick and not sloppy fast

smooth is fast , fast is smooth

definitely improved my skills

I am unlikely to ever take any trophies home but the people you meet are great I have shot with a few of the guys from Vortex met many others tons of good conversation and learn a lot.

we have one of those targets at the club where you shoot a steel popper , then the shoot target comes up then the no-shoot target comes up to cover it , the first time you see a presentation like that it looks sooo fast , after a while your figuring out what other target you can go get and come back while your waiting for the shoot target to come up and you have 2 in the shoot before the no shoot has a chance to come up.

cost prohibitive can be an issue , man I started on such a tight budget 10 years ago with club level action pistol , no kidding I took a 1.99 nail apron from HD and sewed it on my wife's sewing machine to hold magazines upright and at the right level so I had some time and 1.99 in my mag pouch I was using a holster I had and a single stack 9mm i bought when I was 18 and was casting and loading all my ammo my cost without time was like 6-8 dollars the hundred and equipment.

you needed about 100 rounds a night to play at action pistol we ran 3 stages.

I am still loading all my ammo an cost is definity up but it is a great activity , my son started action pistol when he turned 12 I didn't let him draw from a holster till he was 17 , we now do USPSA and 3gun together

you don't have to chase the hottest equipment to have fun and great practice I run my pump gun with a mag tube extended , a very basic AR and a nearly stock glock17

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: jeff karsten] #7602265
06/10/22 04:38 PM
06/10/22 04:38 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
Originally Posted by jeff karsten
competitive pistol for 25 years became a job rather then fun met great people they got old too

I have resisted going down that rabbit hole. I did get a sponsor for IDPA. But, I explained that I might not shoot more than 6 matches a year.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602269
06/10/22 04:47 PM
06/10/22 04:47 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
Greencountypete, I also run some pretty basic gear. I'm just looking for good solid runs. I usually beat guys with 10 times the money in their gear by just making my shots and working hard on the non-shooting stuff that eats up so much time.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: DelawareRob] #7602271
06/10/22 04:50 PM
06/10/22 04:50 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
Originally Posted by DelawareRob
I love shooting IDPA, I also participate in the GSSF matches from time to time.

I agree, it is hard to get folks to want to shoot and become proficient with their firearm.

3-gun is awesome by the way, my brother shoots 3-gun a lot and it is a blast.

I have been thinking about trying a GSSF match series. They have an indoor range hosting them on weekday evenings.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602293
06/10/22 05:36 PM
06/10/22 05:36 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
I shoot a little with some guys that shoot those matches. They keep asking me to shoot with them. I just don't have time. I even reload and have plenty of ammo. - just no time. I shoot a CZ SP01 Shadow

I have shot some close quarter AR courses that are fun too.

Maybe some day I'll have the time to do it. It's a lot of fun when I do go with them.

The guys I shoot with are ex military and they usually yell at you the whole time you are shooting saying how bad you did - then they tell you how you did well at the end and laugh about all of it. I use the same AR I use for hunting coyotes. You don't need all the bells and whistles. I even have shot open sights.

Just passin through
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602314
06/10/22 06:32 PM
06/10/22 06:32 PM
Central Indiana
dakota741 Offline
trapper
dakota741  Offline
trapper

Central Indiana
If someone was new to IDPA matches, what handgun would be best for a beginner? I’m sure there’s a lot of different opinions about this, and I’m sure everyone has their favorites. I’m just wondering how to get started. I’ve looked at the different models of Glock in 9 mm, but I’m not sure what other accoutrements you will need. Such a special sights, extended mag, etc. thanks for your input. This is something I would be interested in getting involved in!

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602319
06/10/22 06:37 PM
06/10/22 06:37 PM
Central Indiana
dakota741 Offline
trapper
dakota741  Offline
trapper

Central Indiana
The two guns I was checking out we’re the Glock 43X, and the Ruger security 9. Again, I’ve never shot at a competitive match!

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: dakota741] #7602330
06/10/22 07:11 PM
06/10/22 07:11 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
Originally Posted by dakota741
If someone was new to IDPA matches, what handgun would be best for a beginner? I’m sure there’s a lot of different opinions about this, and I’m sure everyone has their favorites. I’m just wondering how to get started. I’ve looked at the different models of Glock in 9 mm, but I’m not sure what other accoutrements you will need. Such a special sights, extended mag, etc. thanks for your input. This is something I would be interested in getting involved in!

Take what you have and 3 magazines. There are several divisions and whatever you have will fit into one of them. You just need an approved holster for safety. Retention Holsters that require you to press a button with your index finger to draw are not legal at a match.

I shoot the stock service pistol division with a glock 17.

I'll post a link to the rulebook.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602334
06/10/22 07:15 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by Wallace

Take what you have and 3 magazines. There are several divisions and whatever you have will fit into one of them. You just need an approved holster for safety. Retention Holsters that require you to press a button with your index finger to draw are not legal at a match.

I shoot the stock service pistol division with a glock 17.

I'll post a link to the rulebook.

What Wallace said.

Run what you have. Depending on division. Three or four mags, holster and cover garment. Eyes and ears. And you’re set.

https://www.idpa.com/new-rulebook-mar-equipment-appendices/

https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/2022_idpa_rulebook_master_edition.pdf

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602335
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
https://www.idpa.com/idpa-matches/idpa-match-rules/

You don't have to be classified to compete at a club level or tier 1 match. You can sign up as unclassified

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: dakota741] #7602337
06/10/22 07:16 PM
06/10/22 07:16 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
The two guns I was checking out we’re the Glock 43X, and the Ruger security 9. Again, I’ve never shot at a competitive match!

it depends what category/division you want to run in

if you carry a 43x or a security 9 then run them

do you have anything already ?

if you have or can borrow a full size hand gun go run it and see what you want to do after you have some experience , run whatever you have or can borrow until you have some experience , you bassically just need to get to a shoot and try it and see , it is acutally worth going and watching first if you areunsure what to bring , when you see the game you will think something up as to what you want to run.

generally I would favor full size for starting off , you need grip purchase to go even sort of fast I can't say for IDPA so much but a G17 size is a really good place to start in USPSA

most people just shoot a full size better and you might well be shooting it to 20 yards possibly farther but mostly closer

I run an almost stock G17 with a Ghost evo-elite connector as my only change , I might have gone to an extended mag release also but I can't remember other than that it is stock

a Comp-Tac international holster will let you play in all the games and not break the bank

I do like my Double Alpha belt (new addition last year) but shot for years with a thick leather belt and the comp-tac holster and home made or fobus mag pouches that were nothing special

my current belt rig is the Double alpha , https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1018563820?pid=993017

holster https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1013608420?pid=996289

mag pouches https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020597941?pid=926672

I waited for sales and upgraded a little at a time but I like my current rig

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602340
06/10/22 07:24 PM
06/10/22 07:24 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
price mags when your pricing your gun I got a bunch of Magpul. GL9 mags for 10 dollars each even if you buy them new they are less money if I had to buy all the mags I have at 40-50 a piece I would have more than the gun in mags

I run the less expensive mag pull mags in competition as I am tossing them on the floor /ground

I had come from a gun that had no mags or holsters available so I went hard the other direction and said I just want to never look for a holster and then find I couldn't have it for my gun again.

5 is a nice number of mags to start with

one other piece of Kit you will want Maglula https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2136952670?pid=993548

Lula is my Israeli girlfriend that loads my mags for me , Shhhhhh I also see her AR sister on the side https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015161542?pid=950122

don't worry my wife knows

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 06/10/22 07:26 PM.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602351
06/10/22 07:46 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
In IDPA your belt has to go through your belt loops and no 2 layer belts. The rules are set up to make you sort of use stuff you would wear on the street. That double alfa won't fly.

But in 3gun I wear a Safariland with a ratchet and everything on ELS clips.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602352
Central PA
H
hipp2412 Offline
trapper
hipp2412  Offline
trapper
H

Central PA
Started out shooting IPSC, then steel plate shoots then bowling pins then small bore silhouette, and then PPC and small bore rifle and Highpower matches. I shot in the PA Police Olympics for a lot of years. I was on the Governors 20 for 5 years in a row. And today I mess around with sporting clays. I have to admit I suck with the shotgun. Fun times and I got to meet some awesome people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread