No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655761
08/22/22 08:30 PM
08/22/22 08:30 PM
McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
O
OKforester Offline
trapper
OKforester  Offline
trapper
O

McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
Don’t think you are the only one in this situation. This exact same dilemma is happening to a lot of young people. The price of land has gone so high young couples just starting out cannot afford to purchase land and build a house.

Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655779
08/22/22 08:50 PM
08/22/22 08:50 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
If it’s the deal you say it is, buy it.

Ever heard anyone say, “boy I’m sure glad I didn’t buy the ground”?

If the land is worth the money, you can’t go wrong. I finally learned my lesson at about 34 years old. I let some sweet land deals go. Always talked myself out of it. Finally pulled the trigger twice. These two properties are my pride and joy.

Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655788
08/22/22 09:01 PM
08/22/22 09:01 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
The prebuilt cabins can be bought for close to or maybe even less then getting a mobile home moved. Get one with a loft and partition off a bathroom then get a septic system and well.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655795
08/22/22 09:07 PM
08/22/22 09:07 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I didn’t think of this earlier, but if you buy the land and pay it off, the bank might allow you to use that as collateral to get the construction loan.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655796
08/22/22 09:10 PM
08/22/22 09:10 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
What's the hunting lease rates in the area like? Small property it might not be enough for a house but leasing, pe for selling hunts preferably, might give you some breathing room.

I enjoy hunting too much myself to lease it, lol

16 acres of it is fields that are currently being leased to farm. Doesn't add up to enough per year to count for anything. May as well let them farm it for free

What are they growing? crop land is 150-200 around here. Hay is 50 per acre. Trust me that will pay the taxes and insurance....

Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655823
08/22/22 09:29 PM
08/22/22 09:29 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Another thing you can count on is if you split the land there is a good chance it will be sold again and to whom? You can live in a pretty small house and build on to it later.

Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655891
08/22/22 10:37 PM
08/22/22 10:37 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Online content
trapper
T-Rex  Online Content
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
.... This is our first shot, and I think the mountain may be too big to climb for our first land purchase and home building.

As bad as I want this land, I refuse to start our marriage out with a poor financial decision that will follow us for years to come
This is exactly what I was thinking, but would not have posted before you figured it out yourself.

You would be putting all of your eggs in one basket. And, if the only way you can afford your dream is to sell off half of it.....HUH? It ain't the right property.

I am in kind of the same situation. Yeah, I'm a lot older, and have the money, but, when looking for land to build on, you need to factor in a lot, such as:
  • land, of course
  • structure & foundation probably a couple hundred bucks per square foot. even prefab
  • well & septic maybe 50 grand
  • Where are the utilities? How much to hook them up?
  • Do you have a road? and are you able to get your new modular home in?
  • permits and other crap most folks never think of will set you back several grand

I don't want to give any advice, since I know so little. I think you are on the right track, now scale down a bit. Keep looking. The right property will show up.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655910
08/22/22 11:03 PM
08/22/22 11:03 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
... buy the land ... keep the frontage for yourself for now... cut the back up into acre lots and sell to meth cooks ... charge a tax on their profits for the cover then sell the frontage and buy yourself a couple hundred acres and build a big log house

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655917
08/22/22 11:13 PM
08/22/22 11:13 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
I've been kicking myself for 33 years for passing up a piece of land. If I could go back and do it again, I would talk to a financial advisor and figure out a way to get it done.

It's a lazy man that can't get his new wife two jobs to pay for a good property grin

Re: Land purchase question [Re: Savell] #7655923
08/22/22 11:42 PM
08/22/22 11:42 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by Savell
... buy the land ... keep the frontage for yourself for now... cut the back up into acre lots and sell to meth cooks ... charge a tax on their profits for the cover then sell the frontage and buy yourself a couple hundred acres and build a big log house

If you think I’m selling the river bottom to the meth cooks you done lost your mind!! That’s my duck impoundment Savell!!

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Land purchase question [Re: T-Rex] #7655927
08/22/22 11:50 PM
08/22/22 11:50 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I am in kind of the same situation. Yeah, I'm a lot older, and have the money, but, when looking for land to build on, you need to factor in a lot, such as:
  • land, of course
  • structure & foundation probably a couple hundred bucks per square foot. even prefab
  • well & septic maybe 50 grand
  • Where are the utilities? How much to hook them up?
  • Do you have a road? and are you able to get your new modular home in?
  • permits and other crap most folks never think of will set you back several grand

All good points. For a little background my dad is a brick mason turned general contractor turned school teacher. I grew up in masonry and construction and went to school and got an engineering degree. Pops still keeps his GC license updated and builds a house or two here and there. He would be my GC for my house.

I can build a block framed house for around $120 per square foot with current material prices. We built dads latest for $92 per square foot in 2020 before the craziness.

Well and septic will not cost quite 50k. Going rate for a well is 10-15k and the same for the septic. Should be able to get out for 20-30k and it is mandatory that be part of the construction loan unless existing well and septic are at the land.

No public utilities within 20 miles so it will be private well with a septic tank

There is an existing asphalt driveway on the property.

I’ve been doing all the research I can to find a way to make this purchase happen financially. I don’t know that there is a way to do it without being stretched thin

Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655948
08/23/22 02:22 AM
08/23/22 02:22 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Financial stress is a huge part of many divorce. What's land going for and what's the selling price. I haven't heard enough to tell if it's a really good deal or rather if it that it's a really nice property and just out of your reach and you want it sobits a really good deal? There is a difference

A good deal is land that's selling for 6 k per acre but this is selling for 3700. Vs. I can get it and I want it making it a good deal.

If the first if you get in a bind it can be sold. We looked in 3 states for over 5 years before we got out farm. I can sell it for 3x or more.what I paid 5 years back. That's a really good deal. Some of that is how things have gone crazy in price but the day I bought it I could have sold it foe double the price.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 08/23/22 02:24 AM.
Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7655963
08/23/22 05:17 AM
08/23/22 05:17 AM
n.e. pa.
F
foxpee Offline
trapper
foxpee  Offline
trapper
F

n.e. pa.
Buy the land!!! Once it's gone it's gone. They don't make land anymore but you can always buy a house. I bought 15 acres out of 55 that was for sale because I wanted a house also. I am so sorry I did not buy the whole thing. Don't make the same mistake I did. You will not regret buying the 45 acres.

Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7656034
08/23/22 07:42 AM
08/23/22 07:42 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Buy it and worry about a house later. Make them set the loan up so principal is paid then interest. It will save you thousands over the loan payback

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Land purchase question [Re: Providence Farm] #7656100
08/23/22 09:05 AM
08/23/22 09:05 AM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Financial stress is a huge part of many divorce. What's land going for and what's the selling price. I haven't heard enough to tell if it's a really good deal or rather if it that it's a really nice property and just out of your reach and you want it sobits a really good deal? There is a difference

A good deal is land that's selling for 6 k per acre but this is selling for 3700. Vs. I can get it and I want it making it a good deal.

If the first if you get in a bind it can be sold. We looked in 3 states for over 5 years before we got out farm. I can sell it for 3x or more.what I paid 5 years back. That's a really good deal. Some of that is how things have gone crazy in price but the day I bought it I could have sold it foe double the price.

Our going rate for land is very high in this area. Currently land is selling every day for 20k per acre plus. Before the craziness it sold for 10-12k per acre. The asking price on this land is 7500 per acre

Re: Land purchase question [Re: hippie] #7656131
08/23/22 09:40 AM
08/23/22 09:40 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by hippie
Buy if a good deal and what you want, worry about the house later.

(wish I had someone tell me this 40 years ago, I let the land I still think of slip away.)

My advice as well.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7656132
08/23/22 09:41 AM
08/23/22 09:41 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Online content
trapper
Bear Tracker  Online Content
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Buy Dirt! We started buying land in 1985, people laughed at my brother and I said all the negative things you can think of. We are laughing every day, we were young financially strapped, made payments on down payment plus payment. Sold what we could that we owned. Sweat equity, logged ourselves on top of full time occupation. Land contract at 10% interest. 790 acres of our own heaven now. The regret, we had opportunities to buy 1800 acres and passed not enough vision, then 880 acres attached and would go up $200 an acre to get it. Regrets didn't buy it, Buy dirt! One issue is how much does your wife support your passion, mine is my best hunting, trapping partner, and friend!

Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7656161
08/23/22 10:25 AM
08/23/22 10:25 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Our going rate for land is very high in this area. Currently land is selling every day for 20k per acre plus. Before the craziness it sold for 10-12k per acre. The asking price on this land is 7500 per acre

Sounds like a good deal as you said. How is your living arrangement and can you stay there and swing the payments on the land?
Is your wife willing to live in say a camper for 5 years on the land if that's what it would take. Basically is she on the same page as you in your life goals and dreams? Or is she more inclined to want a nicer h I use and vehicle now. How fare out are kids in the plan, job changes or advancement.

I'm in the buy land camp and you will be amazed at what you can do and how much you can save just growing a garden, making soap, ect... land always goes up it seems.

But your first responsibility is to your bride. Is she all in and are you both willing to stick out the tough lean times for as long as it takes? It's not a question that should be taken lightly but given serious thought discussions and if so inclined commitment.

Talk with your wife get on the same page and make some plans. 6 months one year 3 years 5 years. Now those plans will change and you will probably fall short but it gives you bothe direction. Even when you fall short you heading in the correct direction not wasting time going in the wrong direction.

Get living arrangements lined out that are acceptable to you both. And be sure she is really in and committed not just saying yes to make you happy. Once you have that done and you can afford the land jump on it fast if that's what you both want.

You both have to really want it. People say marriage is 50/50 they are dead wrong. Marriage is each giving 100% so it's 100/100. It's a lot of work so keeping on the same page and good frequent communication.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 08/23/22 10:29 AM.
Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7656582
08/23/22 08:31 PM
08/23/22 08:31 PM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
How many of you all would break into your 401K to buy land. Before your 59 1/2 with the penalty? CoonDagger, like others have said, buy it and eat bologna sandwiches. When you are in you 60s your grand kids will enjoy running around on it.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Land purchase question [Re: coondagger2] #7656601
08/23/22 08:52 PM
08/23/22 08:52 PM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Offline
trapper
Outlaw99  Offline
trapper

sw iowa
Have your future bride hok her engagement ring and tell her to get another job at night. Tell her not to forget the importance of the “Me Too” movement and start contributing something to the equation besides what colored flowers to have on the tables at your reception.

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread